Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 27th, 2012, 12:03 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Anyone have a Bike Shipping case?

Anyone have one of these things, I want to bring my bike out to Phoenix with me for my trip out there next week, wondering of anyone in the NYC area has one of them that I could borrow for a little cash or a case of beer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Used to travel frequently by air with my bike and always used a cardboard box that new bikes ship in. The local bike shop was happy to give them to me. I never had any issues or damage.

Clearly not as ideal or protected as a hard shell bike case, but it's an option if you cant find one or don't want to buy one.

ETA - don't know what they charge now to take a bike on a plane, it used to be $75 ea. way with Continental, but I have heard some airlines charge as much as $200 each way. Depending on how much riding you plan on doing, it may cheaper to bring your pedals, shoes and helmet and rent a bike.
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:11 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You are looking to buy a new bike, why not demo a bike while in AZ.

It should cost you less than the airline will charge you and you do not have to worry about your bike getting lost / damaged. And you will not need to break down your bike and rebuild it on the other end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
What Dave said. Not to mention the headache when the airline loses it or it gets stolen off the carousel. It's between $100-$150 each way depending if they hit you with the over 50# fee too.

Where in AZ? trisports.com has an awesome selection of road and tri bikes for a reasonable fee. You can even email them your current bike measurements and they will set it up. They used to give you a portion of your travel expenses to their store towards a new bike too.

And no I don't work for them they just seem to have everything I "need" and awesome customer service.
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM
andrewnyc
Andrew
1965 Series IIa 109

Registry
I'd agree that a hardcase (like the version from Thule) or a legit softcase (like the version from Pika Packworks) are better that the standard cardboard bike box. While good bike shops should offer rental options for the first 2, and decent shop should be able to provide for you a cardboard bike box in good repair with some packing materials and a bit of advice for zero $$.

The bike rental/demo at the other end is certainly an attractive option, it eliminates a lot of hassle and would probably end up being cheaper. It just depends on how much you want to ride your own bike vs a rental (I usually take my own for trips involving more than 2 days on the bike, but that's me...).
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I have a padded soft bag that I've use many times. You are welcome to borrow it but to be honest a cardboard bike box and wrapping of frame and component in your riding gear should keep it safe.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Im going to Phoenix in AZ for 10 days, i want to ride a little there.

Jason, i may borrow that from you, thanks for the offer, I'm still debating.

I kinda want to just rent a rockhopper or similar hard tail as they are like $35 a day from what i see, and just suck it up, but you know it would be cool to ride your own bike in a cool place.

ill let you know what i choose. Posted up pics of the bikes in the other thread!
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Im going to Phoenix in AZ for 10 days, i want to ride a little there.

Jason, i may borrow that from you, thanks for the offer, I'm still debating.

I kinda want to just rent a rockhopper or similar hard tail as they are like $35 a day from what i see, and just suck it up, but you know it would be cool to ride your own bike in a cool place.

ill let you know what i choose. Posted up pics of the bikes in the other thread!
Ride your own bike ... I always take mine everywhere. I like the nuances of my setup ...
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce

Ride your own bike ... I always take mine everywhere. I like the nuances of my setup ...
What are you riding?
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post

What are you riding?
Turner burner. Same as your old bike but with some newer bits on it.
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
The only time I brought my bike on the place was when I rode Ray's a few years ago and got it to fit into a hockey bag. I don't think the airline charged me but it was a bit of a hassle on the way home from Cleveland.

I think the cardboard bike box works well and if you wanted to you might be able to put the wheels in one bag and the frame/fork/parts in another and not worry about getting charged that bike fee (which, like someone said is $200 at some airlines).

Another option is to ship it FedEx Ground to a bike shop out there.

I agree with what leastonce said about riding your own rig but if you don't want to deal with bringing your bike - you can pull the stem, bars, grips (that's one reason I run ODI Lock-ons), seat, and pedals. And within 15 minutes have the touch/feel parts that make your bike really your bike.

I know I need to respond on your other bike thread. Just have been wicked busy with Xmas and a family ski/snowboard trip. Will get to that soon tho.
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:24 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
You can get your whole bike including wheel is a cardboard box.
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

REI will box it up for you.
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would definitely look at shipping it to a bike shop. Has anyone ever taken their bike overseas?
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

My wife took her road bike to Italy a few years back for a week long ride, put it in a hard case and it worked out just fine.

John,

Check some of the local bike shops not for a rental but a demo, most bike shops have a good deal where they will let you try the bike for a small amount of money becuase they want you to try it and buy it. They will also take time to set it up to fit you becuase they want you to be comfortable on the bike.

One shop here that I know has a deal where you can have 5 days for $125 dollars you can take a diffrent bike each day or use the same one the entire time. Bike range from entry level to highend big $$$ bikes.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I've taken bikes overseas a lot. It's really no big deal.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:32 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Really liking the responses, I think I am leaning towards just renting/demo/trying a bike out there and just brings my seat grips and pedals, seems like the smartest/cheapest/least risky option, and then allocate the money that would be used to pay for shipping and save it up for some bike parts!
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
You can get your whole bike including wheel is a cardboard box.
My post was confusing. I meant if you wanted to split the bike up into 2 bags, you might be able to pack in "normal luggage" to beat the airlines' bike fees. A quick search showed up to $200 each way in transport costs. That's getting pretty expensive.

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2012 11:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
My wife took her road bike to Italy a few years back for a week long ride, put it in a hard case and it worked out just fine.

John,

Check some of the local bike shops not for a rental but a demo, most bike shops have a good deal where they will let you try the bike for a small amount of money becuase they want you to try it and buy it. They will also take time to set it up to fit you becuase they want you to be comfortable on the bike.

One shop here that I know has a deal where you can have 5 days for $125 dollars you can take a diffrent bike each day or use the same one the entire time. Bike range from entry level to highend big $$$ bikes.
That's a great idea. Especially if you are going into a town that is know for being a mtn bike destination and some of the shops will have some good bikes on hand.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
REI will box it up for you.
This ^.

I did a cross-country bike trip years ago and when I was done went to an REI, and if you have them send it to another REI (like one at your destination) its much cheaper than regular shipping. May be worth a try to check with them.

Or you could just man up and ride it there .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

This ^.

I did a cross-country bike trip years ago and when I was done went to an REI, and if you have them send it to another REI (like one at your destination) its much cheaper than regular shipping. May be worth a try to check with them.

Or you could just man up and ride it there .
Cross-country bike trip is beast. Not many people on earth that could do that. That should get you WAY more tail than Neil and his flashy car of the month.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
shipping