Anyone get out of HPDE/PCA/SCCA and go to the D90/110 to spend more family time? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 19th, 2010, 10:55 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Anyone get out of HPDE/PCA/SCCA and go to the D90/110 to spend more family time?

Thoughts?

Regrets?

Lessons?

Really, out of any sports car or yuppie car lifestyle....just want to ignore that and get on with life...and have a fun project/world within which to tinker.
As a PCA guy, a search noted a bunch of P car owners here. Any of you get out of the P car world mostly to focus on these anachronisms. Seems slow and big...possibly actually more fun. And, perhaps even cheaper to run (track driving is costly!). TDI for me I think.

Trying to figure out the next step as I am less P car motivated day by day. I could sell and build up an ROW LDH 110 tdi.....

Thanks.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2010, 11:36 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

very active in SCCA and PCA back in the 80's early 90's, always offroaded as well, but when the Ds entered the States, focus changed and never looked back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:41 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
There is bullshit with both.. Just ignore it and have fun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2010, 08:35 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

SCCA to Offroad...

Enjoy them both/all; hobbies that afford me the opportunity to "tinker" or "tune" and to meet great people has always been the draw (winning doesn’t hurt either)...doesn't seem to change with age...except that I find I am no longer so attached as I use to be. Doesn’t really matter what I do…as long as I make time to do it…family included…did have to learn to “share” and play nice though…

'95 993 C4; nothing else like it - though not a SCCA car - just drive it and smile, hours on end for no particular reason...the old '78 SC was a drivers car. Fits nicely with the family, especially letting my 16 yr old son drive it regularly… great way to learn respect and stereotypes.

'C-15; Santana 20 or any other racing sailboat with 20 or more boats on the line...same thrill, different speed…much more preparation time. Left it yrs ago as the kids had different interests…no regrets as I can go back anytime.

’95 D-90; takes us places too remote/difficult/beautiful to describe…son ended up wanting a SWB classic as his 1st car…off road regularly. While tackling obstacles never gets boring, the destination/adventure is the main draw…

I am lucky to have an active family, live in a state with unlimited opportunities, can afford the time to “tinker”, I really never allowed myself to feel like I have missed out…doesn’t matter what’s on your plate…just my $0.02…does help that I have the time and am able to afford the toys…bottom line, I have always been excited for the next chapter…no regrets. As for the “yuppie”, “rich Kid” attitude…like what you like…goes away quickly when it’s the “tinkerer” who’s on the ground “volunteering” for the trail fix…

SCCA to offroad; kind of like watching an older guy run…not very pretty, probably should not be allowed…you can’t help but notice the enthusiasm…

Old October 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I have done both sometimes I miss the rush of Lime Rock, Summit, hell even Poconos, but I think there is a greater family vibe with the Rovers, and less un-necessary BS.
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

what the hell you guys are talking about ?
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/

http://www.pca.org/

http://www.scca.com/home.aspx
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Was into 911 turbo's (c2turbos). Did some PCA stuff but found them to be mostly stuffy blue haired types. Lost a rear tire (295.35.18) one night in a long sweeping turn, and then control, @ tripple digit speed and walked away. I had a Defender 90 I was working on @ the time and devoted my full energies to that and and (like Dale) never looked back- seemed like a hint I couldn't ignore.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:23 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Thanks. If I sell the 911, another p car purchase is not likely to be tolerated.....ever.

The irony is that a good D110 costs the same as a 911 turbo ... Is the D110 market likely to get more rational any time soon. Not meant to be a loaded question in any way. Just trying to avoid a " buy high, sell low" move.
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Not HPDE or track days, but I did a lot of performance rally co-driving in SCCA (when they still sanctioned rally) and NASA. I purchased the D-90 in 2004 and by 2005 I found I didn't have the time for rally because I was always planning extended trips exploring hard to reach places in the Defender.
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thank you, I thought I was the only one not following
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
what the hell you guys are talking about ?
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

When I had my 911, I always found the PCA to be, as described above. Lot's of rich old people who just wanted to show off how big, expensive, and powerful their 911s were (of course I was pretty young at the time in comparison ~30).

I haven't attended a Land Rover club meeting, but I went to the local annual British car show and met a whole bunch of local club guys who wanted nothing more than to sit and talk about Defenders. No pretense, no bullshit. I'll concede I'm a decade older now, but this group feels a bit more welcoming than the PCA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, 90, d90