anyone fly fish here?? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

If you have time for Wyoming in the last half of August or in September before the Rally let me know. Lots of water and NO people.

I may not have access to a computer until mid next week but will check again then.
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCURoverD90
Yep, Ugly Bug Fly Shop...... http://www.crazyrainbow.net/

Im gonna try to do a lot of research in the next few months and try to start planning a trip out west to fish...Im thinking of doing waht a buddy of mine did-He drove out west to wyoming, camped and fished. He said it was an amazing trip. I have been out west a couple times but have never fished there before.

I've been fishing the SE quarter of the state for several years now and the fishing has been so good that I haven't made it into the western half yet. The best few weeks of the year are starting to see more people though so I am thinking about looking for some new territory.

When you decide what areas you want to fish, the best thing to do is buy some current NF and BLM maps with the latest land swaps. Use those with a GPS and it is easy to stay on public land. Those Wyoming ranchers are serious about trespassing.
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
I've been fishing the SE quarter of the state for several years now and the fishing has been so good that I haven't made it into the western half yet. The best few weeks of the year are starting to see more people though so I am thinking about looking for some new territory.
It sounds like you've fished enough up there that you know at least as much about the area as I do, but have you tried it in October? The biggest mayfly hatches I have experienced have been in that area in October. Not many folks around then either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2006, 06:06 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I have fished that area once in October and yes there were some very good BWO hatches and some large fish rising to them. Depending on how much work I have this fall, I would like to do it again.

I usually start fishing late June for the Green Drake hatch. I love it when the big fish get easy but it doesn't last long.
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I live about 2 miles from the Roaring Fork, and the Frying Pan is just down the road. I buy all of my flies from www.ydflies.com and they are the best! This year has been outstanding, and if anyone comes around, let me know.
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

http://www.flyfishingtheworld.net/trailer.htm

Check out the homepage for the whole story.

And he didn't mention prerunning!
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:51 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Quote:
http://www.flyfishingtheworld.net/trailer.htm

Check out the homepage for the whole story.

And he didn't mention prerunning!
That is awesome....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

If you are getting the shack nasties this might help. Angling Exploration Group Volume I DVD. No hype just some guys in an overloaded Jeep looking for the best fishing they can find. http://anglingexploration.com/index.htm
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
jaguiler
John A
2006 - LR3

I am in Maryland and I flyfish .... used to bass fish but now just 100% fly - last year I did not get out much...and this year may be the same - only a few trips here and there... I am expecting 2 kids in the next fw months, and a D-90 later in the year (with luck) - so my fishing time will be limited, although this year I am convinced I will try to make more time.

I tie my flies and usually it is easier to get time to tie flies than it is to get out on the water..... man do I miss it - I will have to take a day off work .....

I like to stick to the smaller mountain streams and go for brookies....
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguiler
I am in Maryland and I flyfish .... used to bass fish but now just 100% fly - last year I did not get out much...and this year may be the same - only a few trips here and there... I am expecting 2 kids in the next fw months, and a D-90 later in the year (with luck) - so my fishing time will be limited, although this year I am convinced I will try to make more time.

I tie my flies and usually it is easier to get time to tie flies than it is to get out on the water..... man do I miss it - I will have to take a day off work .....

I like to stick to the smaller mountain streams and go for brookies....

Have you ever tried bass fishing with a fly rod? It's a gas when they're hittin' on the surface. It takes a 7 or 8 weight to cast a bushy bass fly though.
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

The time is getting near for another season. Road trips and fishing, throw in some good wheelin' and it makes it all worth it.

Anyone have a hot spot they want to give away?
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:50 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Yah, I'll give ya one. My favorite spot is up by our cabin and is great when don't have a lot of time. No poundin' the water here. The beaver ponds of the Sacramento Creek drainage (drains into the Middle Fork of the South Platte river) that runs along the South side of Park County RD-14. The fish aren't big, but they're plentiful and dumb; just my type. They'll hit any dry and make you feel real good about your skills (or lack thereof; as in my case).

Not much wheelin' on 14 other than a washboarded dusty road. But, Mosquito Pass is just a little further up Hwy 9.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
The time is getting near for another season.

Anyone have a hot spot they want to give away?
Are you kiddin' Dude? I only wish I spent as much time floggin' the water as you do. You're the one who should be giving up the goodies...

(COUGH)Conejos River,et al(COUGH)
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Come to the Summer ROAV rally later this month. It's located right on the James River which is one of the finest smallmouth rivers in the east.
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Hey thanks, you guys are a lot more generous than I thought.

I've been looking for some fishing reports on a particular river in centralish Wyoming.

Can't find a word from anyone who fishes it. All the guide books say if you go there you may get lost, or don't go if the weather is bad you may not get out for days, or should be driven by 4wd only, or the canyon sections have rattlesnakes.

All of that adds up to some real potential.

Sorry Ron, that's all I can say right now.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
... or the canyon sections have rattlesnakes.
It shouldn't scare off an Oklahoma guy, a friend snapped this picture outside Riverton on mothers day.

Follow-up Post:

I haven't found anybody who's fished it yet... sounds better all the time. I'll e-mail ya later, I've been looking at maps and it looks like you found a neat spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mothersday08003.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	13803  
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
It shouldn't scare off an Oklahoma guy, a friend snapped this picture outside Riverton on mothers day.

Follow-up Post:

I haven't found anybody who's fished it yet... sounds better all the time. I'll e-mail ya later, I've been looking at maps and it looks like you found a neat spot.

Holy crap, that looks like an Indiana Jones movie.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

HOLY CRAP, was my exact thought when I saw that picture too. Think I would stay away from Riverton, try Saratoga Wyoming and the Platte river. Great bar and hotel there called the Wolf.

Even if the fishing is no good the drinking will be.
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:16 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
HOLY CRAP, was my exact thought when I saw that picture too. Think I would stay away from Riverton, try Saratoga Wyoming and the Platte river. Great bar and hotel there called the Wolf.

Even if the fishing is no good the drinking will be.

Shhh, the N Platte valley is getting too crowded already. Just the same I plan to be there next week even though the rivers are blown out for a while.
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Last summer in the Sierra Nevada. These were caught on mosquitoes using reels my dad makes at a lake around 10,800 ft. I'll be heading back up next month for more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coyote2007 116.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	13807   Click image for larger version

Name:	coyote2007 111.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	13808  

Name:	coyote2007 120.jpg