Anyone Else Have an issue with the Demise of the Manual Transmission? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 17th, 2015, 07:38 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I don't really care if the latest tech autos are faster, or get better fuel economy. There is a very important element of driving pleasure that is lost for me..

I've had the link to Car and Driver's "Save the Manuals' campaign in my signature for a long time. But came across these shirts and decals, and thought I'd share. Figure there have to be a few others on this board that feel the same way..

The Curb Shop - T.M.G.P.S Insignia T-Shirt

The Curb Shop - Custom T.M.G.P.S Vinyl Decal
There is just something about it that's special... ordered a couple of shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I first learned on a 3 in the tree. My next lesson was on snow and ice.

But if you can start up on a steep incline with a manual, you are king of the hill. I've seen that to be a big challenge for many people here in Austin.
I got my drivers license driving stick. A few hours in the country and I was good to go. It's true. I hate to admit it but some natives can't drive in inclement weather. I'll never forget as a young adult doing my 30min commute to work...showed up and it was closed. Called my boss to see what was up and he said it was because of the (tiny almost non-existent) incline we had in the entrance and sleet. REALLY?!! omg lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2015, 08:46 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Yeah but the 2016 Taco is no longer available with the 4 cyl 5 speed. 4 cyl is only automatic. I cannot understand that logic.
I think only one place said that, and i believe they were wrong, we'll see in the fall.
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:04 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

We've been blessed with an all-manual driveway; a TDi Disco with an R380 and a TDI Passat with a 6-speed manual transmission, which I bought largely because I thought I should do what I could to incentivize VW to keep doing "stupid" stuff like that in the U.S. Market. Plus it's ridiculously fun to drive for a sedan. And I (like a previous poster) always came back from Europe wondering why I cannot get a diesel manual car here, and then suddenly I could (without spending a fortune)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2015, 11:57 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
We've been blessed with an all-manual driveway; a TDi Disco with an R380 and a TDI Passat with a 6-speed manual transmission, which I bought largely because I thought I should do what I could to incentivize VW to keep doing "stupid" stuff like that in the U.S. Market. Plus it's ridiculously fun to drive for a sedan. And I (like a previous poster) always came back from Europe wondering why I cannot get a diesel manual car here, and then suddenly I could (without spending a fortune)!
Except from a 2 year gap you could always get a diesel manual car here since the mid 80's...
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:33 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Didn't realize that--my first car, a Dasher (manual, diesel), springs to mind of course, which I wish it hadn't. And maybe for too many years I was only looking for mid/full size wagons, which I think were only briefly available in manual diesels, and so I ignored sedans that were available.....and then i made the fatal error of posting to a thread when I should've been in bed....
But I mainly wanted to highlight VWs interesting decision to make a manual diesel offering of their NA only model in a market that's overwhelmingly automatic only...I cannot imagine they're recovering their costs, although maybe their modular approach makes it cheaper to produce virtual one-offs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
manual, transmission