Anyone Else Have an issue with the Demise of the Manual Transmission? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What's an automatic? I've only owned one.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
A buddy of mine in college daily drove an original '48 international harvester KB1. 4 speed double clutch...was fun to drive.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:22 PM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
The manual transmission is only fairly rare in North America. Elsewhere its like 80% manual transmission. Now that automatics are getting more efficient, that is probably starting to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Reminds me of how my old man made me learn how to drive on a mid 60's GMC 3/4 ton - 4 speed manual and no power steering. If I was backing up I had to use the mirrors otherwise I would get a flick to the arm. But like he said if I could drive that thing I could drive most anything.

Makes me sad seeing so many less manuals on new cars. If I think of the best drives I have had its always been in a manual: high speed runs in the S4 coming back home from VT and OH, taking my father in laws 996 convert for a spin in Key Largo, driving the Saab 900 all over New England and NYC, and bringing the 90 to different spots to wheel. On the flip side the Suburban has covered way more miles but the drives sort of blend into each other.
I learned how to drive in my Dad's '69 Ford F150 with 3 on the tree ( I was 9 years old and the truck was 6)

It's funny what you mentioned about the miles blending together with an automatic!! We drove our 110 to Alaska (from Alabama) and the trip will always be one that's extremely well remembered!! We did it again in '13 in a brand new Ford Raptor (and while it's a cool truck), I can't hardly tell a single memorable event from the entire trip - that's sad...
Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:42 PM
lightwriter
Carlos Ascencio
'84 One Ten

Registry
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I first learned on a 3 in the tree. My next lesson was on snow and ice.

But if you can start up on a steep incline with a manual, you are king of the hill. I've seen that to be a big challenge for many people here in Austin.
I also started on a stick and had been driving for almost two years when I took drivers ed and had to drive an automatic. I'll never forget one time in drivers ed I went to shift gears and stomped the brake pedal (they are wider in an automatic) and everyone in the car flew forward. needless to say, the instructor was not happy. Only automatic I've ever owned was an '84 Laredo appropriately named the "ja'heap"
Old June 22nd, 2015, 04:39 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Never fell asleep driving a manual!

But I did almost blow up my engine when I shifted out of gear with the cruise control still engaged on the Porsche.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:21 PM
lightwriter
Carlos Ascencio
'84 One Ten

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
But I did almost blow up my engine when I shifted out of gear with the cruise control still engaged on the Porsche.
Was it a 964 by chance?
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:30 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightwriter View Post
Was it a 964 by chance?
Close. Same era. It was a 951 (944 turbo)
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:14 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
More Salt in the wound..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I'm staying in a hotel this week for work, and the valet has a warning on my key tag that says: *STICK* I guess even the valet business doesn't require this skill of their employees anymore.
HS buddy of my college undergrads son got a summer job as a Valet Parker only because he can drive a stick

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:27 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I can't text, selfie, drink a Frappuccino, and flip you off if I have to shift. Plus, the dealer says that I'm .5 seconds quicker to 60 than a manual which is super important to me as I sit in gridlock.
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:27 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I can't text, selfie, drink a Frappuccino, and flip you off if I have to shift. Plus, the dealer says that I'm .5 seconds quicker to 60 than a manual which is super important to me as I sit in gridlock.
Its okay, they are working on the self driving cars for your type..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:55 AM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
My goal is manual transmission for my kids.
It will make them drive, not text!
Old July 7th, 2015, 01:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Saw that as part of the other crash thread.

IMO - cars are just getting too boring. Honestly I'll take a simple 200HP car with a 5 speed gearbox over a electro-gadget high-HP modern day "sports" car. Really - where the hell are you going to use 600HP anyway? And you might as well drive a damn electric if you can't blip the throttle.
Old July 8th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Promark420
Bryan
97 NAS D90 SW #0221

Registry
Quote:
Saw that as part of the other crash thread.

IMO - cars are just getting too boring. Honestly I'll take a simple 200HP car with a 5 speed gearbox over a electro-gadget high-HP modern day "sports" car. Really - where the hell are you going to use 600HP anyway? And you might as well drive a damn electric if you can't blip the throttle.
I've been saying this for years! Cars are so incredibly boring now. It made me sad to see why Consumer Reports gave the Tesla S their highest marks. Let's also not forget how all of these new safety features make drivers lazy, which is more dangerous than simply paying attention. The scariest car I ever drove was a Mercedes S 500 because it's TOO soft; I was doing 90 and thinking it was 60.

I have two dream cars: a D90 and a Porsche 993 4S not just because of their looks, but because they were the height of engineering and pleasurable driving. OK, maybe the engineering thing is more about the P-car (and I also love the lack of cup holder). But the sounds, smells, heaviness of the clutch, shoulder-popping long throw etc. make them a glorious visceral experience. I'd rather have either one of those than a brand new mushy-feeling whatever at twice the price.

I'm 31, learned on a 5 speed, have never had an automatic, and I still won't give it up. Being in Atlanta, I've driven in some pretty thick traffic too.
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:18 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
... Honestly I'll take a simple 200HP car with a 5 speed gearbox over a electro-gadget high-HP modern day "sports" car. Really - where the hell are you going to use 600HP anyway?
I do believe Mazda (Miata) and Subaru/Scion (BRZ/FR-S) have you covered at least (I know, not quite 200 bhp, but close)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promark420 View Post
I'm 31, learned on a 5 speed, have never had an automatic, and I still won't give it up. Being in Atlanta, I've driven in some pretty thick traffic too.
I'm not keen on the idea of having to give it up either, but every year the choices available with a manual gearbox get smaller and smaller. About the only vehicles left are some sports cars (and I mean SOME), and some BMW Sedans..

We currently have an E53 X5, the first auto we have ever owned. Its a nice car, but I really wish we could have found one with a stick, but it was a needle in a haystack, and that hasn't been available since 2006..

Would like an LR3/LR4, but again, no manual gearbox options in stateside Land Rovers since the 1997 Discovery ..

DID I MENTION I DON'T LIKE THIS TREND?!?

Old July 8th, 2015, 04:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I do believe Mazda (Miata) and Subaru/Scion (BRZ/FR-S) have you covered at least (I know, not quite 200 bhp, but close)... I'm not keen on the idea of having to give it up either, but every year the choices available with a manual gearbox get smaller and smaller. About the only vehicles left are some sports cars (and I mean SOME), and some BMW Sedans.. We currently have an E53 X5, the first auto we have ever owned. Its a nice car, but I really wish we could have found one with a stick, but it was a needle in a haystack, and that hasn't been available since 2006.. Would like an LR3/LR4, but again, no manual gearbox options in stateside Land Rovers since the 1997 Discovery .. DID I MENTION I DON'T LIKE THIS TREND?!?
Thanks for the Mazda / Subaru mentions. But if I ever get a car it's going to be something older like a BMW E36 M3 sedan or Audi B5 1.8T. Or even older like a classic Saab 900T.

And I bet the LR3/4 would be pretty enjoyable to drive with a manual gearbox.

------ Follow up post added July 8th, 2015 04:43 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promark420 View Post
I've been saying this for years! Cars are so incredibly boring now. It made me sad to see why Consumer Reports gave the Tesla S their highest marks. Let's also not forget how all of these new safety features make drivers lazy, which is more dangerous than simply paying attention. The scariest car I ever drove was a Mercedes S 500 because it's TOO soft; I was doing 90 and thinking it was 60. I have two dream cars: a D90 and a Porsche 993 4S not just because of their looks, but because they were the height of engineering and pleasurable driving. OK, maybe the engineering thing is more about the P-car (and I also love the lack of cup holder). But the sounds, smells, heaviness of the clutch, shoulder-popping long throw etc. make them a glorious visceral experience. I'd rather have either one of those than a brand new mushy-feeling whatever at twice the price. I'm 31, learned on a 5 speed, have never had an automatic, and I still won't give it up. Being in Atlanta, I've driven in some pretty thick traffic too.
Wish I could say the same about not having an automatic. I can say we have always had 1 manual car in the driveway but need the auto SUV's for the family.
Old July 8th, 2015, 11:30 PM
Promark420
Bryan
97 NAS D90 SW #0221

Registry
A really fun manual is the Fiat 500 Arbath. I really mean it. My brother got one this year, and it resorted my faith in real cars.
Old July 11th, 2015, 07:30 AM
vtrover
Mike
1991 RRC 300 tdi

I just got back from touring Northern England and it looked like most vehicles there are standard shift still, even some you wouldn't expect to be. What's worse, for us anyway, is almost everything is diesel. My nice little Skoda wagon (similar to jetta) rental car was averaging 50+mpg. It's hard to make sense of our limited options.
Old July 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrover View Post
I just got back from touring Northern England and it looked like most vehicles there are standard shift still, even some you wouldn't expect to be. What's worse, for us anyway, is almost everything is diesel. My nice little Skoda wagon (similar to jetta) rental car was averaging 50+mpg. It's hard to make sense of our limited options.
I remember being in Italy a few years ago and drooling over the diesel manual Merc minivan that we rode in a bunch and bummed nothing even close to that here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
manual, transmission