Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
anyone do home brewing

anyone do home brewing. looking to get into this hobby. any and all info would be great. recipes names of your beers.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
The only advice I can give is to prepare as many different types of small batch recipes as possible at first, because you'll wait quite a long time for the beer to be ready to drink. Nothing worse than waiting all those weeks only to have your recipe(s) suck...and start from scratch again. I did it a few times with my old roommates and will probably start trying again in a few years. Best of luck. When you fail it's about the same as a bad meal...Might taste like crap to everyone else but tastes OK as long as you've prepared it.
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
hartman
Edward Hartman
1997 D-90

Keeping the equipment sterile is the key. I home brewed for several years then my wife had twins, and I stopped. My brother still does and uses the 5 liter soda kegs, which are easier than the bottling, and he makes an outstanding Export.

Start slow, learn using the premixed kits, then advance. Experience by doing is the only way.

I might get back into Home Brewing, now that the children are older. Hope it works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
love to hear some more input. i have a gas station c-store and i designed it with a beer cave. i have alot of different craft brews probably the biggest selection in the area. i've always wanted to try it just haven't take the leap yet. a friend of mine does his own the same way as brother edward. keep the comment coming!!
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Water, water, water - I can not say enough about water. I brewed a lot of beer in my college days when I was in Sweden. The water there was pristine and clean - not overly treated with chlorine or other chemicals. I took the same recipe that I tuned to some success overseas back to my house in Northern Virginia and it was so bad that I poured it down the drain. The only difference was the water.

Distilled, filtered, bottled or whatever - make sure your water is as pure as you can get it.

Next is the sterile environment mentioned above. The whole fermentation process is a controlled "rotting". Any uninteded bacteria or germ will grow like mad in the wort and produce a taste or aroma that may not be intended.

I started using Cooper's Beer kits. I followed the instructions but added 5pounds of sugar to the mix. This was the college boy in me trying to up the alcohol content. It worked - made strong beer - but the taste was not a good as it could have been. Once I got better and started to brew for quality rather than qauntity, the beer kits provided a very good and forgiving recipe.

Once I went further, I would add extra ingredients to a beer kit (some finishing hops or an extra type of malt). Then I went to the full 'scratch recipe'.

It is a lot of fun and is a hobby that garuntees you friends (at least at college it did).

Good luck.
Sterling, VA
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Yup stirring up an old thread.....

Any home brewers in the souther Maine area? I have a nugget hops plant almost ready to harvest. If anyone is interested, they are yours in exchange for some home brew.
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:50 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Dang. Wish I was closer. Always great to use fresh hops.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

I planted them maybe 7 yrs ago in hopes of starting to home brew. Just never worked out. This yr I'll actually be in town when they are ready to harvest.

If no one takes them, I'll harvest, dry and vacuum pack. And I may be in NC for Thanksgiving.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wing