Anyone compete in off-road racing? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Anyone compete in off-road racing?

I was wondering if anyone on the board does any offroad racing. Not rock-crawling but like rally sport and stuff..
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

I wish, Ultimate Job and company Have my own SCORE team and unlimited funds to make it happen.. Ops I just woke up
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

No, but yes, for the first time. I will be co-driving my own truck with Carey Steiner driving in the 2009 King of the Hammers. I can't wait.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
No, but yes, for the first time. I will be co-driving my own truck with Carey Steiner driving in the 2009 King of the Hammers. I can't wait.
That's sweet...I hope you are getting a bigger engine!
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
That's sweet...I hope you are getting a bigger engine!
Nope, I think the uniqueness of the engine is part of the reason we got in. It's surprisingly quick up to about 50. If we can keep it together, weve got a shot. I'm just honored to get an opportunity like this.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:05 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buck, shouldn't your rover be "De-fendered 90"

Ron
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Buck, shouldn't your rover be "De-fendered 90"

Ron
Good call! It was, but when the skins got finished it became a RE-fendered 90.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Nope, I think the uniqueness of the engine is part of the reason we got in. It's surprisingly quick up to about 50. If we can keep it together, weve got a shot. I'm just honored to get an opportunity like this.
Good luck, that is quite an opportunity. It seems like keeping it from breaking in the rocks is key to doing well but when guys like Shannon hit 102mph in the flats I think you need some motor too. I hope you guys do well! I think Rockware and Pikes Peak Rovers are in the LCQ so I hope they make it too.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC
I wish, Ultimate Job and company Have my own SCORE team and unlimited funds to make it happen.. Ops I just woke up
Haha, I ran the 1000 on a bike. Never again. Will do it in a truck anytime! I read an article somewhere about a team that ran that race in a range rover classic. They made it 50 miles I believe.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Good luck, that is quite an opportunity. It seems like keeping it from breaking in the rocks is key to doing well but when guys like Shannon hit 102mph in the flats I think you need some motor too. I hope you guys do well! I think Rockware and Pikes Peak Rovers are in the LCQ so I hope they make it too.
Your totally right. Shannon is just amazing. But, the race is won and lost in the rocks. If we can hit 60-70 on the flats, I will be happy. There is not a lot of desert where speeds faster than that are really that feasable, at least for any significant amount of time. I am swapping the high range to 1.2 to bring a little more top end into play.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Quote:
Your totally right. Shannon is just amazing. But, the race is won and lost in the rocks. If we can hit 60-70 on the flats, I will be happy. There is not a lot of desert where speeds faster than that are really that feasable, at least for any significant amount of time. I am swapping the high range to 1.2 to bring a little more top end into play.
When I was in Mexico prerunning, I was in Valle de Trinidad, and I was seeing trophy trucks regularly topping 130- 140 along the open sections. NOt that a TDI could ever get you there.. What's your suspension setup going to be for the race? You gonna sitffen em up for the higher speed stuff? You gonna rock the old dry ice in the intake trick? What are your pressures going to be?
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Nevada Trophy, which is not technically a race but rather a geocaching rally-raid. 10,000 miles of remote Nevada badlands with 150 waypoints done in any order. Winner is the team that finds the most over 2 15 hour days. http://www.offroadexperience.com/nvtr08info.htm

We've won twice.

DW
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
When I was in Mexico prerunning, I was in Valle de Trinidad, and I was seeing trophy trucks regularly topping 130- 140 along the open sections. NOt that a TDI could ever get you there.. What's your suspension setup going to be for the race? You gonna sitffen em up for the higher speed stuff? You gonna rock the old dry ice in the intake trick? What are your pressures going to be?
Hey,

This race is definitely not the Baja 1000! These are rockcrawlers and rockracers. There are a few guys like Shannon that can get to the 100mph level, but there is not a lot of areas that it is possible, and often they end up backed up later on the rocks. I have coilovers all around. Stiff on bottom, soft on top. But that will be tweaked as we practice more. Tell me everything you can about the dry ice trick. I've never heard of it but we are willing to try anything that will help. I am at a disadvantage to some of the awesome buggies in this thing, although I have a great driver!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868

Swipe the V10 TDI out of the R-10. That would get ya up to 130-140.

To bad it won't fit in a 90.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old August 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Haha, the dry ice trick. Ok, stuff the airbox with dry ice and it's supposed to cool the air charge. Helpful for desert racing supposedly. The guys running the trucks in the Baja were doing it but I was skeptical. Idea is if the car places well and gets scruitinized and they strip search it the dry ice will be gone after an hour or so. Personally, I don't know about this one but i've heard it from abunch of people. Another suggestion if you are really trying for extras horse.
Check out this link: http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...&Store_Code=HP

Couple guys have used it on the turbo cars in my race league and have never said anything bad about the product. It would take some trick fabricating but might be worth it. No dyno results unfortunately.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac