Anybody here from Wyoming? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Anybody here from Wyoming?

Not having much luck with Colorado, but I have been finding a few good jobs in Wyoming, specifically Cheyenne. Hmmmm.... The State appears to have everything I'm looking for, I think I'd enjoy the place.

BUT.....

I'd like to hear some first-hand opinions from folks who live there, the best intel always come from the folks on the ground.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Well, although I lived in Colorado, I spent a lot of time up in Wyoming (those gosh dang antelope could run faster than my old Series II 109 could). Being as sparsely populated as it is, there is no problem in "getting away from it all". Cheyenne is a nice enough town, but it is on the high plains and is not overly saturated with scenery. In fact, much of Wyoming is a bit on the boring side; semi arid, and barren. People really appreciate the short time that it does green up. Hopefully you would make some friends quickly and have a bunch of diversions to keep yourself occupied (things other than continuously working on the Land Rover that is).

With a little bit of driving you can see some really nice scenery, like the Medicine Bows, the Big Horns, the Tetons, etc. Even some of the desert and plains scenery can be pretty spectacular in places. In a few hours you can be in Utah, or lost up high in the Rockies in Colorado. There is a lot of "Old West" history out there to explore also. I loved coming across some old abandoned mining camps and ghost towns up in the mountains and occassionally out in the deserts.

The winters can be brutal; a white out on the plains is something to behold, and is definitely not a pleasant experience. You learn to always carry survival gear with you when you drive in the winter. I once met a family whose 18-year old daughter, who had lived on their ranch all her life, went out to the barn to make sure the animals were okay during one of those plains blizzards and got lost in a white out just getting back to the house only 50 yards away. They found her two days later frozen to death a mere 15 feet from the house - - she just couldn't see it.

And the wind is something too. Sometimes it blows and blows. Up in Casper, Wyoming they are fond of saying that everyone in town would fall onto their faces if the wind ever quit blowing. It is not quite that windy in Cheyenne.

All that being said, I kinda liked it. It can be lonely though unless you get a little group you can hang out with. There is an awful lot of open space up there.

I wish you the best of luck. If you do go out there, I bet you will be able to have some great times. What type of work are you doing by the way?
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Aviation and airline type stuff, was thinking of putting in for a job with Echostar/Dish network for satellite operations.

I would prefer Colorado to be honest, but am just not having much luck finding anything. I think Cheyenne is about as far North as I am willing to go. However, I have spent a lot of time with family in the Dakota's, so I am very familiar with how the great plains can get..... you ain't seen snowdrifts till you've seen ones that cover one side of a barn up to the roof, and the other side is bare ground.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Gityerassouthereboy!

Cheyenne's not bad, but you don't have to live there. Move to Fort Collins(in colorado) and it's a short commute to Cheyenne. There's several d-90 guys nearby, and Fort Collins is a cool town. Your wife could probably get on at Hensel-Phelps, a very large GC headquartered in Greeley, the town next door.
Old February 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

No state income tax in Wyoming.
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I have been spending as much time as possible out there for the last 8 or so years now. I love the solitude. It has the lowest population per square mile in the lower 48. Lots of BLM land to ride your horses and shoot your guns on. Great hunting and fishing. It has a reputation for being the state where a trespassor is most likely to find a gun in his face. The locals also like the solitude!!!

Considering the population I have seen quite a few Series trucks in the southern part of the state.

What's not to love....in the intrest of truth in advertising though, I have never spent the winter there.
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:06 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

I grew up in Wyoming My dad still lives there Great hunting, but the wheeling is better in Colorado.

PM me with any questions.

Yes I will retire there someday, It will be on the West side.
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I know people that drive between Cheyenne and Fort Collins daily and they do not seem to mind it. A few times a year the road will get shutdown and they will not be able to make it to work or home but other than that it seems to be a non-issue.

My Uncle lives in Cheyenne and you could not force me to live there due to the cold/wind but they do not have state income tax and houses/ everything is less expensive compared to Colorado.. but there is a reason for that

If you do not mind a commute look at the Fort Collins area. Fort Collins is located between Cheyenne and Denver so you would be able to commute to either place with ease.

+ I need a Defender locally so I can come up with some cool new stuff

Anyhow….. If you want to check out the area let me know and I would be happy to show you around or give you some tips.

Also check out coloproperty.com
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, now just cross my fingers and see what happens. But a few resumes a month for 4 years now have been going into an empty hole somewhere...... I'm not holding my breath for a call-back on this one either. I've been finding out the hard way that people in Colorado just refuse to even deal with anybody out of state when it comes to job hunting.

Not enough money saved up to move without a job out there first. No way to get a job out there without moving. Bills are to high to even consider saving any money. No way I'm ever going to afford a house around here. Sigh.

-Hans

Old February 16th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Hans

Sent PM

Troy
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Hans, if you feel the problem is that your resume is getting binned because of distance (and that wouldn't be surprising, in all the hiring I've ever done that's been a huge red flag) get in touch with your cell phone provider and request a number with an area code in Denver, use that for your contact number and don't put your address on the resume. If you get a call for an interview, explain that it'll need to be 2 weeks for an in-person, hope on southwest.com and hop out there. In the interview explain that you're "in the process" of completeing your relocation and will be available for employment in 3 weeks. It's worked for both friends and colleagues of mine in the past.

One other hint is to watch the email address you're listing on your resume. I can't tell you how many resumes I've canned because the email address was "goatlover300@yahoo" or "partygirl69@hotmail"

Good luck,

Tony
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, we were out in Colorado a couple years ago and tried calling some employment agencies using the "we're moving out here" line, and they all said not to call back unless we were actually moved in.

Before reality intervened and stopped me from doing it, my Wife and I were actually planning on renting a small 1 bedroom apartment in Colorado Springs so that we had an address, phone number and everything. Then a new car arrived (other than the Defender) and that idea went on hold. I've been trying to cover the distance thing in my coverletters to explain that I am very serious about wanting to relocate, but probably hasn't been helping much.

I've been considering the Colorado phone number bit as well, but since all I use is my cell phone, I really can't do that. The Pizza guy won't deliver if I give a funky area code, and other similar issues like that.

One thing I did make sure of is that I have a good e-mail address that is easy to remember as well as non-offending. Since I have my own website, I can easily make anything I want... and just Hans@siegecraft.us is what I've been using.

-Hans

Old February 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Hans-
What is it that you do (for a living) or want to do?

Mike
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Right now I work sub-contracted by the FAA to do long-range radio relay work. I'd like to get close to airplanes if possible, to the point I can actually see/smell them. Or maybe another varient of communications work.

-Hans

Old February 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I've been considering the Colorado phone number bit as well, but since all I use is my cell phone, I really can't do that. The Pizza guy won't deliver if I give a funky area code, and other similar issues like that.
-Hans
Actually I meant get a second number. If need be, use a friend's physical address. The idea is to make sure that you eliminate all the factors that make you less attractive to a potential employer than someone local with equal skills . . .
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:32 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Hans,

If you feel location is an issue (probably is) here are a few suggestions.

1. Look into a Voice over IP phone. You can choose whatever area code you want and it should only cost about $29.00 per month. You would then appear local based on the area code 970 303 or ???
2. Rent a mailbox from a post office or the UPS store in the area that you are considering. The UPS store will give you an actual address such as
Your name here
125 SW 57th st #435
Denver Co 80620

Additionally they will forward mail so you can have the mail from that box sent to your home address wherever you reside.

I am sure there are other tricks out there but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
body