Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Any Website Developers?

Ever since I switched from PC to Mac and lost my ability to use MS Frontpage I have become website retarded. My website is in dire need of help (wolffab.com).

Any good WYSIWYG free web developing programs out there? I've tried Nvu and didn't find it useful.

Any smart web developers interested in some side work?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Ever since I switched from PC to Mac and lost my ability to use MS Frontpage I have become website retarded. My website is in dire need of help (wolffab.com).

Any good WYSIWYG free web developing programs out there? I've tried Nvu and didn't find it useful.

Cheers!
I've used a few Mac design programs and done some basic animation. Pm me what you want to do and I'll let you know if I can help.
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

For an alternative to MS Frontpage, look at Dreamweaver ... good wysiwyg which is a lot more powerful than Frontpage.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller View Post
For an alternative to MS Frontpage, look at Dreamweaver ... good wysiwyg which is a lot more powerful than Frontpage.
I think I have a pirated copy of Dreamweaver. The issue is that I no longer have the source files for my website - everything is on a server. So I have to somehow pull those files down or start over, I think. I'm website dumb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:21 AM
DGH
David Howe
None

The hosting companies now offer online templates that are workable. They are as good as anything offered by FrontPage and much easier to develop.

GoDaddy's is called WebsiteBuilder. Here's a basic site that I did using that product. www.rickhole.org Keep in mind that I am technically competent but have no artistic/design talent. The site is not bad for a homespun non-profit.

Many people are using wordpress templates for their sites. http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ Accordingly hosts are making sure their servers can support wordpress and I have seen some very good sites built with that product.

For my company, a developer built a site using photos and text that we provided using a product called ExpressEngine. After completing the theme, layouts, menus, etc, the developer opened up some of the development tools to allow us to maintain the site. We can keep the news, blog entries, etc up to date using simple tools that are built into the package. That route isn't as expensive as you might imagine and you'll get a much better product. Our web inquiries have skyrocketed since we finally spent the money to have it done right.
Defender - in the market
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I think I have a pirated copy of Dreamweaver. The issue is that I no longer have the source files for my website - everything is on a server. So I have to somehow pull those files down or start over, I think. I'm website dumb.
There is no magic there. Just FTP the files from the server to your computer and do with them as you wish. For the love of god, please learn how to put your images into separate folder(s) though.
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
There is no magic there. Just FTP the files from the server to your computer and do with them as you wish. For the love of god, please learn how to put your images into separate folder(s) though.
Que?

See, you are speaking gibberish right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	super-computer-nerd.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	66187  

Semper Fi!
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:29 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I think that picture is of my Father In-Law

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:36 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
If you can get a hold of a copy of iWeb it is the easiest website maker for the mac although they are limited on themes to start from - I made this www.rentmycargobox.com with it

Wordpress as mentioned is a good alternative as godaddy supports them I have access to a bunch of themes if you want to go that route also - I made this www.thechuckmovie.com with wordpress and their standard theme

let me know how I can help
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
I made this www.thechuckmovie.com with wordpress and their standard theme
You need help. That show was good for the first season, then got extremely redundant. Did you just out yourself as a Chuck fan?

Semper Fi!
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:46 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
who said I made it for me? It was made by me - but yes I was a Chuck Fan if I find a way to make money from being a fan I'll let you know
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
who said I made it for me? It was made by me - but yes I was a Chuck Fan
Just checking. It takes a lot of strength to come out, and that shows courage.

Semper Fi!
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:52 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Hi my name is Jay and I was a Chuck fan for all 5 years - feels good to have that weight lifted off my shoulders
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
I built and managed the British Pacific web site for 12 years before they were gobbled up by Allmakes and then sold to Atlantic British.

PM me with your needs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat