Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
any watch people here

hi all,

its an odd thread..... but i am trying to get some feedback if anyone here has a: AP ROO rubber-clad. (if you know what that means, then i am half way there) =) i think i want a 44mm silver face or the safari version.

anyone?

thanks,
keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:18 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

I don't but its a good choice. I'd prefer a black dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
hi all,

its an odd thread..... but i am trying to get some feedback if anyone here has a: AP ROO rubber-clad. (if you know what that means, then i am half way there) =) i think i want a 44mm silver face or the safari version.

anyone?

thanks,
keith
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

50K for a watch... Hats off to you
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
They can be had for 14-18k

there are several on couple of wholesalers in the DC area

I believe Essential Watches is a Rep for Piguet
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
They can be had for 14-18k

That brings up a question I have though. I was thinking about getting something nice for myself at the end of the deployment. It seems that you can waste several thousand just by buying at the wrong place, since some places have much higher mark-ups.

Obviously watches at this price point don't get sold for "discounts" but how do you "buy right?" I know more about Rovers than watches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Jim,

Upon your return, come visit, I take you to couple of places I 've done business if you want.

Watches are like any other valuable item Guns / Cars.. there are guidelines/ books with values to be used.

And actually , watches at these levels can indeed be had for discounts, I know for a fact a 25k watch was bought for 17k ( brand new/ papers/ box and the nice cup of coffee while doing the transaction )
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:52 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Easy. Go to the store and pick what you want, then go here to buy it when you get home. I have bought several watches here. You can save thousands by getting a second hand watch that is brand new. People have addictions to watches and collecting them. After a while (maybe just days) of having a watch in their safe, they find another and trade in. That's when I buy them.

http://www.capetowncorp.com/

97 D90 SW
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:14 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Obviously watches at this price point don't get sold for "discounts" but how do you "buy right?" I know more about Rovers than watches.
Depends on what you want. I ordered an Omega from the AAFES online site and used one of those sweet 25%-off coupons. I waited and waited but it was still backordered and never showed.

I ended up canceling it and looking at Rolex instead. I went to a local dealer at the mall and found a steel Submariner Date that I really liked. I asked the lady if she would cut me a deal and she said no way. I went to the other dealer in town, same watch at the same price. Asked him for a deal and he knocked $400 off. Sold. Love the watch.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Personally, I would get a daytona -- I have one I inherited 1970ish daytona oyster -- never wear it as it is worth more than my defender.

But as others have said, you can get that watch for about half of list if you look around -- or at least so sayeth the internet.

JimC, there are a bunch of reputable places that are non-official dealers who sell the usual good watches for discounted prices. The thing to look out for is that they keep the serial numbers on them, not that ones without are stolen, but it is quite tacky to have them ground off as is common when they are grey market imports.

I got my omega from these guys and bought a gift watch from them too www.authenticwatches.com I was happy with both transactions.

Ron
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Ron what face on the daytona?
Rivet band?
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
i am trying to get some feedback if anyone here has a: AP ROO rubber-clad.
anyone?

thanks,
keith
If I recall, that's all that Arnold Schwarzenneger ever wears. If the site that Ron posted is from Encino, CA, I think I used them once for my brother's watch with the same results. They don't even open the box, so your warranty card will likely be blank for point of purchase. Not really a problem, but a watch store/repair shop will look at you funny when you want to get something worked on.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Nice I have a Paul newman Edition , I wear it here an there.

Like the Sub a lot more for everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Personally, I would get a daytona -- I have one I inherited 1970ish daytona oyster -- never wear it as it is worth more than my defender.

But as others have said, you can get that watch for about half of list if you look around -- or at least so sayeth the internet.

JimC, there are a bunch of reputable places that are non-official dealers who sell the usual good watches for discounted prices. The thing to look out for is that they keep the serial numbers on them, not that ones without are stolen, but it is quite tacky to have them ground off as is common when they are grey market imports.

I got my omega from these guys and bought a gift watch from them too www.authenticwatches.com I was happy with both transactions.

Ron
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Gustavo

Ferraris and vintage rolexes. damn man
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
arnold has his own version:
http://www.watchuwant.com/watches/au...ial-48mm-titan
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Personally, I would get a daytona
Ron
Yeah, that's exactly what I want. One of the newer 116520 ones to be exact. White face or black, no preference. Seems like the only way to get one for anywhere near MSRP is to buy a used one.

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Jim, attached link http://www.watchuwant.com/rolex-watches
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:33 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I am a Panerai guy myself. I like its' military heritage, like the Defender. I also have several Rolex that I wear, my favorite being the stainless SeaDweller. Dwellers are like subs, but beefed up a bit. It is supposed to be the strongest and toughest Rolex ever built, although it has recently been discontinued for a larger dial version which is impractical due to weight.

Here are mine:

97 D90 SW
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

^Big Panerai fan myself and love that collection ^

The AP Roo's are a sick piece although a bit above my budget. I have worn one for a day and was in love. Below is a link to another forum I frequent that has a great watch section. The guy with these for sale is a jeweler that has a really good reputation and lots of the other watch nuts on the site shop with him quite often...

http://www.luxury4play.com/watches/4...lads-sale.html

C-
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
maxwell
David M Nichols
2013 LR4

Nice...me too. I've got a 73 (my birth year) Daytona Newman. Im a Panerai guy myself as well. 279 all titanium daily, a 112, and an 005 somewhere in the drawer. Rolex GMT as the first nice watch I ever bought, which seems to be the norm with land rover/porsche guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Nice I have a Paul newman Edition , I wear it here an there.

Like the Sub a lot more for everyday
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Keith,
I'm in the diamond wholesale business. I also can search the world for watches through my wholesale network. Send me an email if you want my help.
Richardcampbell at gmail dot com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat