Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 10th, 2015, 04:00 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Is watchrecon sellers legit? Already found a few I like.

Watchrecon is an aggregate site, mostly pulling from WatchUSeek. But to answer your question, yes it's safe. Just ask for people's feedback and pay will paypal so you are protected. Obviously on buy from U.S. sellers as well. Its basically an ebay/craigslist for watches only. I'd be more concerned about buying from ebay than a seller on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
Watchrecon is an aggregate site, mostly pulling from WatchUSeek. But to answer your question, yes it's safe. Just ask for people's feedback and pay will paypal so you are protected. Obviously on buy from U.S. sellers as well. Its basically an ebay/craigslist for watches only. I'd be more concerned about buying from ebay than a seller on there.
Good to hear. I'll poke around there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Anything in the Breitling line that ha good resale?

I'm not interested in resale though. This is a wearable wedding gift for my 5 year son - someday.
You could also just invest the $5,300 today and buy him a watch that's perhaps more in style say 25 years down the road when he gets married. My father's watch style is far different than my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You could also just invest the $5,300 today and buy him a watch that's perhaps more in style say 25 years down the road when he gets married. My father's watch style is far different than my own.
Dude, you sound like my wife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Just joining this thread. I agree with many of the other comments regarding values of Breitling. I have had several on the second hand market and they have gone for less than $2K. Vintage pieces are a different story. For what it is worth, I funded my D110 project by selling my vintage watch collection. If you are interested in a new watch I still have a lot of contacts in the watch market and will help if at all possible.
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Get one of these Chinese knock-offs and invest the rest!
http://www.perfectwatches.cn/men.html

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 10th, 2015, 05:39 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
You owe 760 British pounds!
I mean euros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
I just got this last week……..I got the stainless bracelet and a nice orange and a black rubber strap too.

Really happy.

Old November 10th, 2015, 05:58 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

I wouldn't hesitate going with a Grey Market Dealer who offers their own warranty if the Breitling in question uses an ETA/Valjoux based movement. If it is one of their models that use their in-house movements (B01, B02, B04, B05, B06, B14, and B35) I would go with an AD. ETA and Valjoux parts are easy to come by and are pretty straight forward to service. Breitling in-house, not so much.

It's hard to say what will be considered iconic from Breitlings current stable in 20 years. With Rolex their sport watches are a no-brainer, as is Omega's Speedmaster Moon Watch (Professional). Historically, they also tend to hold their value (many actually begin to appreciate) better than Breitling.

WatchUSeek (WUS) has recently instituted new security measures that have virtually eliminated scam sellers, so I wouldn't think twice about using their Sales Corner to find a pre-loved piece. Someone also mentioned DavidSW, who happens to be a trusted Sponsor on WUS. His site is here: David SW | Trusted Online Watch Sales Since 2007

Happy hunting!

Bo

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
I have bought several watches from DavidSW, one was face to face. The other have been shipped. David can even supply a new watch at a steep discount, sometimes with an open warranty card...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I wouldn't hesitate going with a Grey Market Dealer who offers their own warranty if the Breitling in question uses an ETA/Valjoux based movement. If it is one of their models that use their in-house movements (B01, B02, B04, B05, B06, B14, and B35) I would go with an AD. ETA and Valjoux parts are easy to come by and are pretty straight forward to service. Breitling in-house, not so much.

It's hard to say what will be considered iconic from Breitlings current stable in 20 years. With Rolex their sport watches are a no-brainer, as is Omega's Speedmaster Moon Watch (Professional). Historically, they also tend to hold their value (many actually begin to appreciate) better than Breitling.

WatchUSeek (WUS) has recently instituted new security measures that have virtually eliminated scam sellers, so I wouldn't think twice about using their Sales Corner to find a pre-loved piece. Someone also mentioned DavidSW, who happens to be a trusted Sponsor on WUS. His site is here: David SW | Trusted Online Watch Sales Since 2007

Happy hunting!

Bo
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
You owe 760 British pounds!
I mean euros

Sweet, which one did you get?
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:28 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Orange
But he swapped me a black band for the orange. The only that's Strange is how small the rubber band is.
Love it though, got to me in 3 days. Communication was awesome. If only I could get the guys in England to respond so fast.
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:57 AM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

I used to be really into watches but NIB prices have become obscene IMO. Save a couple grand and pick one up preowned. Mine just sit around in the box lately. I think about selling them but I have a hard time parting with things.
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:32 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
speaking of davidSW, if money was no object:
A. Lange & Sohne Grande Lange 1 | David SW
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks to everyone for input on watches. There were some good points on buying used, and the Watch Recon and DavidSW links were very helpful.

I'm not a Rolex guy, and I did look at Tudor, but they didn't do anything for me. It came down to Breitling and Panerai, and based on budget I went with Breitling.

After trying on numerous Breitlings, I settled on the Superocean Heritage 44 and found a pre-owned one for $3250 via Watch Recon (MSRP of $5600!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	700.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	134399  

Semper Fi!
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:23 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Very nice! Congrats

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for input on watches. There were some good points on buying used, and the Watch Recon and DavidSW links were very helpful.

I'm not a Rolex guy, and I did look at Tudor, but they didn't do anything for me.

It came down to Breitling and Panerai, and based on budget I went with Breitling.

After trying on numerous Breitlings, I settled in the Superocean Heritage 44 and found a pre-owned one for $3250 via Watch Recon (MSRP of $5600!).
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:33 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
speaking of davidSW, if money was no object: A. Lange & Sohne Grande Lange 1 | David SW
Fabulous watch.. Was just in a Lange Sohne shop in Hong Kong... Someday maybe

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:37 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Nice avatar pic, Rob.

Great choice, you've got to post pics and give us your first impressions when it arrives.

Congrats and may you have health to enjoy!

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My pre-owned Superocean heritage arrived. Mint condition and $2k less than retail. Thanks for all the tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3272299325.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	135122  

Semper Fi!
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:12 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
My pre-owned Superocean heritage arrived. Mint condition and $2k less than retail. Thanks for all the tips!

Scha wang!!

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Congrats! Nice looking watch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat