any watch people here - Page 24 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #461  
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:00 PM
bradfordish's Avatar
bradfordish
Status: Offline
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Scarif
Posts: 421
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Is watchrecon sellers legit? Already found a few I like.

Watchrecon is an aggregate site, mostly pulling from WatchUSeek. But to answer your question, yes it's safe. Just ask for people's feedback and pay will paypal so you are protected. Obviously on buy from U.S. sellers as well. Its basically an ebay/craigslist for watches only. I'd be more concerned about buying from ebay than a seller on there.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #462  
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Wolf Fabrication's Avatar
Wolf Fabrication
Status: Offline
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,453
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughva View Post
Watchrecon is an aggregate site, mostly pulling from WatchUSeek. But to answer your question, yes it's safe. Just ask for people's feedback and pay will paypal so you are protected. Obviously on buy from U.S. sellers as well. Its basically an ebay/craigslist for watches only. I'd be more concerned about buying from ebay than a seller on there.
Good to hear. I'll poke around there.
__________________
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Anything in the Breitling line that ha good resale?

I'm not interested in resale though. This is a wearable wedding gift for my 5 year son - someday.
You could also just invest the $5,300 today and buy him a watch that's perhaps more in style say 25 years down the road when he gets married. My father's watch style is far different than my own.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #464  
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication's Avatar
Wolf Fabrication
Status: Offline
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,453
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You could also just invest the $5,300 today and buy him a watch that's perhaps more in style say 25 years down the road when he gets married. My father's watch style is far different than my own.
Dude, you sound like my wife.
__________________
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Brentflyfish's Avatar
Brentflyfish
Status: Offline
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 600
Registry
Just joining this thread. I agree with many of the other comments regarding values of Breitling. I have had several on the second hand market and they have gone for less than $2K. Vintage pieces are a different story. For what it is worth, I funded my D110 project by selling my vintage watch collection. If you are interested in a new watch I still have a lot of contacts in the watch market and will help if at all possible.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Nomar's Avatar
Nomar
Status: Offline
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central,Virginia
Posts: 4,291
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You could also just invest the $5,300 today and buy him a watch that's perhaps more in style say 25 years down the road when he gets married. My father's watch style is far different than my own.
Get one of these Chinese knock-offs and invest the rest!
http://www.perfectwatches.cn/men.html

.
__________________


Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old November 10th, 2015, 05:39 PM
tomaco1's Avatar
tomaco1
Status: Offline
T.mac
83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,695
Registry
You owe 760 British pounds!
I mean euros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
I just got this last week……..I got the stainless bracelet and a nice orange and a black rubber strap too.



Really happy.






Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old November 10th, 2015, 05:58 PM
CMSgt Bo's Avatar
CMSgt Bo
Status: Offline
Bo
1985 One Ten
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Banner Elk NC
Posts: 786
I wouldn't hesitate going with a Grey Market Dealer who offers their own warranty if the Breitling in question uses an ETA/Valjoux based movement. If it is one of their models that use their in-house movements (B01, B02, B04, B05, B06, B14, and B35) I would go with an AD. ETA and Valjoux parts are easy to come by and are pretty straight forward to service. Breitling in-house, not so much.

It's hard to say what will be considered iconic from Breitlings current stable in 20 years. With Rolex their sport watches are a no-brainer, as is Omega's Speedmaster Moon Watch (Professional). Historically, they also tend to hold their value (many actually begin to appreciate) better than Breitling.

WatchUSeek (WUS) has recently instituted new security measures that have virtually eliminated scam sellers, so I wouldn't think twice about using their Sales Corner to find a pre-loved piece. Someone also mentioned DavidSW, who happens to be a trusted Sponsor on WUS. His site is here: David SW | Trusted Online Watch Sales Since 2007

Happy hunting!

Bo
__________________
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Jbullis's Avatar
Jbullis
Status: Offline
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 446
Registry
I have bought several watches from DavidSW, one was face to face. The other have been shipped. David can even supply a new watch at a steep discount, sometimes with an open warranty card...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I wouldn't hesitate going with a Grey Market Dealer who offers their own warranty if the Breitling in question uses an ETA/Valjoux based movement. If it is one of their models that use their in-house movements (B01, B02, B04, B05, B06, B14, and B35) I would go with an AD. ETA and Valjoux parts are easy to come by and are pretty straight forward to service. Breitling in-house, not so much.

It's hard to say what will be considered iconic from Breitlings current stable in 20 years. With Rolex their sport watches are a no-brainer, as is Omega's Speedmaster Moon Watch (Professional). Historically, they also tend to hold their value (many actually begin to appreciate) better than Breitling.

WatchUSeek (WUS) has recently instituted new security measures that have virtually eliminated scam sellers, so I wouldn't think twice about using their Sales Corner to find a pre-loved piece. Someone also mentioned DavidSW, who happens to be a trusted Sponsor on WUS. His site is here: David SW | Trusted Online Watch Sales Since 2007

Happy hunting!

Bo
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Contractor's Avatar
Contractor
Status: Offline
Will
1969 IIA
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The South
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
You owe 760 British pounds!
I mean euros


Sweet, which one did you get?
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:28 AM
tomaco1's Avatar
tomaco1
Status: Offline
T.mac
83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,695
Registry
Orange
But he swapped me a black band for the orange. The only that's Strange is how small the rubber band is.
Love it though, got to me in 3 days. Communication was awesome. If only I could get the guys in England to respond so fast.
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:57 AM
gliebig's Avatar
gliebig
Status: Offline
Greg Liebig
95 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
Posts: 286
I used to be really into watches but NIB prices have become obscene IMO. Save a couple grand and pick one up preowned. Mine just sit around in the box lately. I think about selling them but I have a hard time parting with things.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:32 AM
d90boy's Avatar
d90boy
Status: Offline
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,228
Registry
speaking of davidSW, if money was no object:
A. Lange & Sohne Grande Lange 1 | David SW
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication's Avatar
Wolf Fabrication
Status: Offline
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,453
Registry
Thanks to everyone for input on watches. There were some good points on buying used, and the Watch Recon and DavidSW links were very helpful.

I'm not a Rolex guy, and I did look at Tudor, but they didn't do anything for me. It came down to Breitling and Panerai, and based on budget I went with Breitling.

After trying on numerous Breitlings, I settled on the Superocean Heritage 44 and found a pre-owned one for $3250 via Watch Recon (MSRP of $5600!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	700.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	134399  
__________________
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:23 PM
bradfordish's Avatar
bradfordish
Status: Offline
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Scarif
Posts: 421
Registry
Very nice! Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Thanks to everyone for input on watches. There were some good points on buying used, and the Watch Recon and DavidSW links were very helpful.

I'm not a Rolex guy, and I did look at Tudor, but they didn't do anything for me.

It came down to Breitling and Panerai, and based on budget I went with Breitling.

After trying on numerous Breitlings, I settled in the Superocean Heritage 44 and found a pre-owned one for $3250 via Watch Recon (MSRP of $5600!).
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:33 PM
rlynch356's Avatar
rlynch356
Status: Offline
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
speaking of davidSW, if money was no object: A. Lange & Sohne Grande Lange 1 | David SW
Fabulous watch.. Was just in a Lange Sohne shop in Hong Kong... Someday maybe
__________________
Defenders don't wear out they just need more parts.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:37 PM
CMSgt Bo's Avatar
CMSgt Bo
Status: Offline
Bo
1985 One Ten
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Banner Elk NC
Posts: 786
Nice avatar pic, Rob.

Great choice, you've got to post pics and give us your first impressions when it arrives.

Congrats and may you have health to enjoy!
__________________
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Wolf Fabrication's Avatar
Wolf Fabrication
Status: Offline
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,453
Registry
My pre-owned Superocean heritage arrived. Mint condition and $2k less than retail. Thanks for all the tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3272299325.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	135122  
__________________
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:12 PM
kevincdoyle's Avatar
kevincdoyle
Status: Offline
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK USA
Posts: 864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
My pre-owned Superocean heritage arrived. Mint condition and $2k less than retail. Thanks for all the tips!



Scha wang!!
__________________
Attributed to Shayne...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
jrose609's Avatar
jrose609
Status: Offline
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 648
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
My pre-owned Superocean heritage arrived. Mint condition and $2k less than retail. Thanks for all the tips!
Congrats! Nice looking watch
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
? for Houston area people dave_lucas Misc. Chit-Chat 5 November 29th, 2005 08:06 PM
Great people @land rover west chester Campbell Misc. Chit-Chat 1 April 3rd, 2005 01:23 PM
People who hate the H2 jgoodyear Misc. Chit-Chat 26 December 14th, 2004 02:00 AM
? for you cold weather people javelinadave Defender Technical Discussions 8 November 24th, 2004 12:34 PM
Just a quck question for the SW people rover4x4 Defender Technical Discussions 4 December 23rd, 2003 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Copyright