any US coast guard guys here - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:21 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

any US coast guard guys here

Hey Guys, figured i would ask her even though i am rover less now. i have been seriously thinking about joining the Coast Guard i would love to my an AMT (Aviation Maintenance tech) for rotary winged aircraft. anyone here have any hands on experience in a coast guard AMT? Coast Guard in general, how did you guys like time served? I know its what everyone makes the experience out to be. I am more curious about the AMT job.
thanks guys hopefully i can get a little insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:26 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahaas View Post
Hey Guys, figured i would ask her even though i am rover less now. i have been seriously thinking about joining the Coast Guard i would love to my an AMT (Aviation Maintenance tech) for rotary winged aircraft. anyone here have any hands on experience in a coast guard AMT? Coast Guard in general, how did you guys like time served? I know its what everyone makes the experience out to be. I am more curious about the AMT job.
Talk to Mr slaughter
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

ARSC Elizabeth City, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by killahaas View Post
We are not USCG, but live about 40 miles from the Aircraft Repair and Supply Center in Elizabeth City where they perform all the depo level overhauls for the entire air wing.
With your skills, you might want to talk to a recruiter or search online for a civilian position.
Years ago I was a PM for some Software Development Projects in Aviation Maintenance, but most all my contacts have since retired.
Back then, there were a mix of active duty and civilian (some GS and some contract) mechanics. You might be able to search the USCG employment site to locate a position or use Elizabeth City, NC as a search parameter along with the air frame(s) you are versed in.

Hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:11 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I've never served in the USCG but I am an Army officer and will give you this advice: whatever branch of the military you choose, pick an MOS/job that pays well in the civilian world. I don't know what rotary wing techs make. Maybe it's great money. I do know that guys who choose military intelligence, linguist, or network security/management MOSes and honorably complete an enlistment can make very good money on the outside. Especially true for the intelligence jobs. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:18 PM
SURVEYOR
Dennis Saltys
97 D-90 LE #290

I was in the Guard 1971-1975. Served on two cutters and stationed at bases in Boston, New York and Seattle. A very good branch of service to be associated with.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I've never served in the USCG but I am an Army officer and will give you this advice: whatever branch of the military you choose, pick an MOS/job that pays well in the civilian world. I don't know what rotary wing techs make. Maybe it's great money. I do know that guys who choose military intelligence, linguist, or network security/management MOSes and honorably complete an enlistment can make very good money on the outside. Especially true for the intelligence jobs. Good luck!
11B...the gift that keeps giving!!
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:05 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
11B...the gift that keeps giving!!
LOL. "Would you like to try our new Steak Fajita sub?"

/
/
/
/
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
LOL. "Would you like to try our new Steak Fajita sub?"
Is that the MRE flavor of the month?
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post

Is that the MRE flavor of the month?
If its June its Chicken Mcnuggets.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You haven't lived until you've heated up your Ham Slice on a Rock or Something.

Anyhow, I'm quite pleased with my Army career, but I would advise my 19 year old self to strongly consider e Coast Guard. All the other advice about contractor vs. active vs. government service is spot on. Contractor is often the highest base pay, but the active and GS positions offer greater benefits and retirements haven't been cut yet. Think about where you want to be in 20 years and compare the positions from that angle too. Don't know anyone that has gotten a 20 year run as a contractor.

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

thanks guys, I am not totally sure what the AMT position pays. But I have always wanted to serve my country, and I always had an interest in aviation mechanics. I am actually in the process of getting my private helicopters pilot license. but i would like do be an AMT as a career, either stay in the military or when i get out, get a civi job. I have always been interested in the whole combat aspect of the military, from high school I wanted to be Army airborne, but things got in the while got offered what i thought was a good job(NOT). but now that i am a little older, i figured i would pick an MOS that would interest me in a mechanic stand point, and than would allow me to get a nice job as a civilian. but who knows i am meeting with a few recruiters next week so maybe i will have a better idea what i want to do in the CG or even maybe another branch.
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:12 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am not nor have I ever been in the military,but If i had it to do all over again I would have gone into the CG if they would take me. Regrets of a 42 year old. Do it and don't look back. You won't regret it.
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:44 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Join the Air Guard and use the tuition assistance to pay for college. Get your bachelors in mechanical engineering. Do ROTC for your branch of choice while in undergrad and commission when you graduate. I have no idea if Coast Guard even has ROTC because I have never seen a Coastie ROTC program.

Everyone else was right though. Select an MOS you can transfer into civilian sector. I've been infantry and Armor my entire career and I have no idea how I'm going to transfer that to the civilian sector.

Currently, I work with recruiters, so if you want me to get you some no bullshit information, I will gladly do so. I remember what it was like coming in the military and not knowing anything about it. It's a big leap of faith, but I can assure you it's worth it even if you only serve for three or four years.

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2013 04:15 PM ------

PS - Coast Guard is probably the best kept secret in the military
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:58 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post

PS - Coast Guard is probably the best kept secret in the military
YEP!

I served in 1998-2002. Things may have changed since then but I had a great time. The first two years I spent on a ship in Kodiak, Alaska and learned to drive boats and paint. Driving inflatable boats in the Bering Sea is not exactly fun. When I made E-4 I had to transfer. I was given a 7 page list to choose from and narrowed it down to Lake Tahoe or Miami Beach.

I went to Miami Beach. There I spent two years driving boats, chasing non-documented immigrants, drug dealers, and riding cruise ships 3-4 days a week. I got to meet many interesting people on the water. Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Jimmy Buffet, Vanilla Ice, Julio and Enrique Iglesias, many of the playmates, Anna Kournikova, etc….. Unfortunately it was not always a party. I am 0-6 with CPR, had to recover deceased people, and notify families, etc.

I think the best bet for you son is to look into the Coast Guard Auxiliary in your area and talk to those guys. They can get him in the door at the local Air Station. He will not go straight to AMT School after boot camp. He will likely have to go to sea for a year or two prior to going to that school.

The recruiter should be able to let him know how long the school waiting list is. Also the recruiter should be able to let him know how to come in as an E-2 or E-3. I came in as an E-1, graduated boot as an E-2, after in for almost three years I made E-5, and just before I got out I had everything done to make E-6 (If I stayed in). The opportunities to make rank fast are great in the CG (within certain ratings). I was told by Navy Officers that the responsibilities given to lower enlisted people in the CG are unheard of in the Navy (at least as a Boatswains mate).
During my last year I knew I wanted to leave. The command let me go to night school to work on my degree. They were very flexible.
One small fact to think about: The NYPD has more people than the entire U.S. Coast Guard.
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
As a Marine we often give the Coastie's shit but in truth it's all meant in good fun. The closer you get to their activities the more you realize that it is a great service and one of the things that resonated with me is that they do their real mission, everyday. Unlike practicing for combat or all the other bullshit that comes with dwell time, the expectation is that everyday could be the day someone needs help, the law enforcement aspects are exercised, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong joining up with the USCG (I don't actually think you can go wrong joining up in any service but I'm biased). Here's a hilarious viewpoint on it that may be one of the best pieces of USMC recruiting I've seen in awhile:
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-best-mil...46.html?cat=25

Coast Guard ranks as #4 in this guy's view, I would look at that as a net positive....
r-
Ray
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:02 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Couple things from my limited perspective:

- If you want a "combat" experience, I don't know if the USCG is going to scratch that itch.
- Enlisted rotary wing mechanics make beans...i.e. hard to support a Rover diet.
- An AMT in the Army is a Warrant Officer position. It takes a few more schools and qualifications to get there.
- Force is contracting...budgets shrinking...position availablity dropping.

A buddy of mine from the college days is currently at Rucker in flight school. He got a shot at it (via the Warrant Officer Corps) by first enlisting as a rotary wing repairer in the Idaho National Guard. Though AMT is not a rated position, you would probably have to do something similar I assume...
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:12 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Couple things from my limited perspective:

- If you want a "combat" experience, I don't know if the USCG is going to scratch that itch.
- Enlisted rotary wing mechanics make beans...i.e. hard to support a Rover diet.
- An AMT in the Army is a Warrant Officer position. It takes a few more schools and qualifications to get there.
- Force is contracting...budgets shrinking...position availablity dropping.

A buddy of mine from the college days is currently at Rucker in flight school. He got a shot at it (via the Warrant Officer Corps) by first enlisting as a rotary wing repairer in the Idaho National Guard. Though AMT is not a rated position, you would probably have to do something similar I assume...
Coast Guard for the most part will give housing allowance and food allowance to everybody (unless staitioned on a ship as an E-2/E-3). That helps the income quite a bit.

Warrant Officers in the CG are Gods (period).

My father retired as a W-4 CH-47 pilot after he did not make W-5 in the mid nineties. When I started looking around he said not Army and actually suggested CG.
Old June 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I'd say if you're looking for combat that ship has sailed for the most part absent going SOF baby.

Absent a field trip to Damascus or Tehran of course...regarding combat, I'd say be careful what you wish for there too.
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I'd say if you're looking for combat that ship has sailed for the most part absent going SOF baby.

Absent a field trip to Damascus or Tehran of course...regarding combat, I'd say be careful what you wish for there too.
X2...
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Navy MH-60 driver here... Can't help you with your CG interest (great folks, btw), but if the Navy is something you might also consider- PM me. I can put you in touch with several of our aviation maintenance folks.

From a maintainer's perspective- the main CG/Navy difference will be how much of the world you see in a uniform. Either way, both are excellent choices.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat