Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAndy View Post
Taking delivery of a Squarewave Tig 200 in the next few weeks :D
Good choice! I'm a Miller guy, but it's hard to beat the specs and price of the Squarewave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2016, 08:46 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

What's a ton of amps re: supply? Could you get 50 amps into your shop, or are you limited to less than that?

I think that's a big factor. If you can get 50 or 60 amps, it opens up a lot of options for transformer machines. The Syncrowave 180 I use at work is a really nice little machine, I think it pulls 55 amps at WOT. It's a little weak for 1/4 but it will work eventually, and I believe it is a lot cheaper than a Dynasty or other inverter units.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old February 19th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
What's a ton of amps re: supply? Could you get 50 amps into your shop, or are you limited to less than that?

I think that's a big factor. If you can get 50 or 60 amps, it opens up a lot of options for transformer machines. The Syncrowave 180 I use at work is a really nice little machine, I think it pulls 55 amps at WOT. It's a little weak for 1/4 but it will work eventually, and I believe it is a lot cheaper than a Dynasty or other inverter units.

I have 60 amps.

I am considering increasing the amount of power to the shop which is not really that big of a deal for me as it's pretty easy. It's one of those things……when I built it I was like, "60 amps is plenty". However, a drill press, band saw, plasma cutter, welders and a compressor that all run on 230 and all of a sudden 60 amps quickly starts to not be enough.

That Lincoln machine you guys are getting really looks like a good buy. I'd like some feed back on it if any of you all have really gotten to use it much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2016, 12:10 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Looking at the specs, that Lincoln unit would be a handy little thing to have... 200amps with 25% duty cycle is probably lots for a home shop. With an air cooled torch that's probably a good idea anyways.

It being compact would sure be nice too. I have a large old transformer machine with a water cooler and it takes up a lot of floor space.
Old February 21st, 2016, 01:43 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Also remember that 230V @ 60 amps is 13.8kW. That's huge. Like...insane amounts of power.

A common mistake made when evaluating TIG welders is that people think that the TIG welder's current draw is the currentdrawn at 230V. Not so!

The TIG welder is usually clamped at around 55-70V max depending on the machine, and this actually varies as the current is held constant by the supply.

This means that a 200A welder at 100% max power is drawing around 11kW @ 55V. If your welder is horribly inefficient (like, old school transformer style) then you're still probably going to be able to feed the 14kW necessary. Especially since you're not going to be burning for more than a few minutes at a time at 200amps.

Trust me, you home welding guys are not even remotely pushing the envelope with welding power. Just put the correct breaker in and have fun.
Old February 21st, 2016, 02:43 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
I picked up a Miler Multimatic 200 just a couple of months ago and love it. With the multimatic, you can ditch your Miller mig and go with this all-in-one tig, mig, stick welder. It's incredibly smooth and I'm really digging the auto-set feature.

Yes, it's on the pricey side compared to the other suggestions, but that's miller for you
Old February 21st, 2016, 07:15 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I think the concern was that he has 60 amps for the whole garage (sub panel probably). The amp draw of the welder is not the concern as much as the draw of the welder and other tools that might also draw power. It would suck to have the main breaker trip if the compressor kicks on while you are welding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Also remember that 230V @ 60 amps is 13.8kW. That's huge. Like...insane amounts of power.

A common mistake made when evaluating TIG welders is that people think that the TIG welder's current draw is the currentdrawn at 230V. Not so!

The TIG welder is usually clamped at around 55-70V max depending on the machine, and this actually varies as the current is held constant by the supply.

This means that a 200A welder at 100% max power is drawing around 11kW @ 55V. If your welder is horribly inefficient (like, old school transformer style) then you're still probably going to be able to feed the 14kW necessary. Especially since you're not going to be burning for more than a few minutes at a time at 200amps.

Trust me, you home welding guys are not even remotely pushing the envelope with welding power. Just put the correct breaker in and have fun.
Old February 28th, 2016, 09:11 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
finally fired up my new Tig 200. so far so good. hopefully ill get some time at the bench this week and finish a few small projects i started today.
Old February 29th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
I think the concern was that he has 60 amps for the whole garage (sub panel probably). The amp draw of the welder is not the concern as much as the draw of the welder and other tools that might also draw power. It would suck to have the main breaker trip if the compressor kicks on while you are welding...
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB - Alpine White

Registry
Learned stick welding on an oilfield Lincoln trailer generator... then learned TIG on a miller.
All of my purchases since have been miller. The multimatic is a sweet little unit, and I also can't say enough good things about my little Millermatic 125... I bought it for a portable unit and strapped it to a EZ-Go flatbed cart... It was in a trailer during a wreck and got thrown around and all beat up... Still runs like a top.

I've recently had the chance to run a Hobart that a buddy picked up at a "Rural King": farm supply store, and I was impressed by that little unit also, but it was a MIG unit.

'95 RRC CountyLWB - dripping all over central TX
'83 110 HCPU - in piceces, all over central TX
'90 RRC Truggy - loud and proud
'95 RRC CountyLWB Beluga Black - SOLD
'01 P38 - POS Leaked Electricity - SOLD
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:58 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I've heard EXCELLENT things about the HTP line of Tig Welders and their customer service, and they are smaller inverter type units like the Miller Dynasty 200 so way less amperage draw than that of a transformer unit. They are also priced right. The only issue I see is with support/warranty in the event something goes wrong.

http://www.usaweld.com/ is their site. I'm a Miller guy through and through, but I'd be lying if I said these didn't have me intrigued.
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:43 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Well, I am in the same boat, sort of. I have 100 amp service to the garage, running a TIG (80 amp breaker), 220V 3HP milling machine, big compressor, bunch of disc and belt sanders, bandsaws, a 30 amp heater, etc. It hasn't ever caused a problem, but I do turn the heat off when I am welding (which is also a good idea because things warm up quick when you are welding for a long time).

The welder draws a lot less power at idle, so I can use the other metal working tools while it's running and not trip anything.

I also usually turn the compressor off, but it has come on while I was welding and nothing tripped.

Of course, this only applies to a single-man shop...
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I bought a Lincoln Square Wave 200 today.

Not an easy machine to find locally, most places were 8-10 weeks out. I lucked up and found one at a new welding supply store that just opened a few weeks ago.

For those that are interested I chose this machine over the Miller Diversion for several reasons:

-Ability to Stick Weld Too - This was important to me, I did not really want to end up with three machines.
- Material Thickness - The Miller is rated to 3/16" material, the Lincoln is rated for thicker material.
- Price - I think for the money the Lincoln is the better purchase, you get more features for less money and I don't think that you sacrifice quality either.

I talked to 3 different stores and they all agreed with the logic....right, wrong or indifferent.

Hopefully I'll get some time to set it up this week and try it out.

Thanks for the advice.
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:31 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
Great choice! I had a 4 week wait on my SW200 but now I've been tearing into a few projects over the past couple of weeks.
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:44 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Great decision - you won't be disappointed. As for material thickness and price - you'll find out very soon that your justifications are just fine.

If you need to TIG some seriously heavy duty stuff, use a MAPP gas torch to preheat your work.

Where there is a will, there is always a way
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

Where there is a will, there is always a way
Indeed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat