Any thoughts on the Safari Guard return? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Any thoughts on the Safari Guard return?

They said they would COD. Really like the tire carrier. I make most stuff but I can't lose with COD right? Anyone else read that? Always looked like they made good stuff.
And I love you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

I have been talking back and forth with them and it sounds like the are really trying to make a go of it. Casey has been uber responsive with my questions. Personally, I am going to start with a small order and see how things go.

I have nothing vested in this...just excited their back so I can maybe order some stuff for the D.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
I have been talking back and forth with them and it sounds like the are really trying to make a go of it. Casey has been uber responsive with my questions. Personally, I am going to start with a small order and see how things go.

I have nothing vested in this...just excited their back so I can maybe order some stuff for the D.
thanks!
And I love you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Out $100 to the old one, so no.
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

please explain.
And I love you too
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I spoke with Casey ( from Safari Guard) on Thursday. Talked with him about some of his products including the tire carrier. He sounded very willing to show that they have turned it around and now have great customer service. To my surprise he balled me back on Saturday to ask me if I had any questions. Even said he would like to connect with the Chicago Land Rover Club. He said things are shipping now and are in stock.

Just thought I would put it out there.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Safari Gard...Must Read!!!!

The kid knows how to do business!!! I was interested in SG HD rock sliders and emailed the company in late Dec inquiring about the price & availability....but I was a little hesitant due to their feedback here on the site. I received a prompt reply from Casey (the new owner) stating they were in the process of restructuring the business/customer service with the same high quality SG products and they would be open early Jan. He stated they had the sliders and accidentally misquoted me the price ($450). In Jan I got on their site www.Safarigard.com and searched for the sliders....priced at $625. I called SG, spoke with Casey and informed him I had an email quoting $450. With no hesitation he said he would honor the price he quoted me and send them out ASAP. This is the proper way to do business!!! As you all know he could have just as easily charged his list price and probably would have had a sale...but he did the ethically thing! To show my gratitude I ordered the front & rear diff guards as well. Received everything today in VA, via UPS nicely packaged within 5 days from CA, at a fair price! Casey stated he has a connection with a private shipping company that can crate orders as well....I just requested the cheapest & slowest being I wasn't in any rush. Although I didn't request it, my credit card still hasn't been charged. I called him this evening to inform him I received my parts & everything was as expected. I asked about the bill and he stated he would charge me tomorrow. I asked him if this was going to be his standard business policy…he stated for anyone that may be hesitant to order from SG due to their past, he would send out parts and bill only upon arrival..... (to me this is above & beyond customer service)!!! Casey is well aware of SGs reputation making the necessary changes and meeting the requests of his customers obviously needed to survive in this economy and the "D-90 world." Everything looks great/tuff/well built....and it's very apparent SG will be here to stay under new ownership!!!! FYI: I have no interest or any personal ties to this company...I just thought I would pass the good word...justin
Safari Gard Phone (619)-300-4287
Casey L Gray Cell (619)-300-8164
Fax (951)-698-8923
Email: sales@safarigard.com
[font=Calibri', 'sans-serif]
[/font]
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Have they made any effort to make good on past debts? It seems that thosew should be the first orders out the door once stock is available, or full refunds.

-Jeff
Is that normal business for a new owner to pay back old debts? I am just guessing it's a new owner, dont know for sure.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Re: $100, got a gift certificate for $100 and already had the front bumper for the DI. Ex blew a brake line, called up and said I wanted to use the gift certificate and get the hugely overpriced SS brake line kit (was half as much at paragon performance). They said sure, but you have to pay now on credit card and mail it in. Ok, fine. So I do. No refund despite several calls and emails.
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The new "CEO" seems ready for customer service.
Ask for your money back Ron.

Maybe I'll send them a bill for the money they owe me, although it would be a stretch for a new owner to take over old debt. IMO.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Jeff raises a good question: why reuse the brand? Seems as though it would've made a lot more sense to just buy the jigs, tooling and IP rights and let the tarnished name (and ill-will) die.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

I bought a few items when they first opened up in the early 90's In 99 I asked them to cut and retap a tie rod I had purchased for my 88 RRC. I wanted to re-use this as a new track rod.

Well he flat out said no to any custom work or one offs, but I could buy a new one from him..... Well I was all set to order a Front and Rear bumper and his 3 link set up... About 5K worth of parts... And I was going to pick them all up being I lived about an hour away. He lost about 5K worth of sales for 5 min worth of comped work.....

I never went back, and talked hundreds out of purchasing from them and I also started making my products......

The logo and branding are great but a bad reputation is not worth buying at all
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Its really a tough call. It takes a lot to build a good name for yourself starting fresh and some will be weary of a new place since there is no feedback. On the other hand, although SG has a bad name when it comes to billing and customer service, many seem very happy with the products they turn out. I think Casey has been doing a solid job of trying to fix the customer service side of SG. He knows the name has a big following as far as quality etc. and seems to be going about fixing the tarnished reputation. Shipping things COD is not ideal for him or us really, but it is a great way to get people who want to buy from him but are weary about lag time etc. to give it a shot. I can't speak for others, but I contacted him about getting some replacement decals for a diff guard that I bought. It was a little beat up and since I am doing a pretty thorough rebuild and sending stuff out anyway, I figured I'd get it powdercoated at the same time. He has replied quickly and kept in contact and said he would send out a couple for free that I could put on after it is powder coated. I figured I would use this as a sort of test before coughing up big bucks for stuff from them. best of luck to him, and I hope he can make a go of it as I have seen and heard nothing but the best with regards to the products, the only complaints I have ever heard were with lag time, communication and billing. All stuff Casey seems to be well on top of.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht