Any recommendations on shipping a 110 from Durango to Portland? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Any recommendations on shipping a 110 from Durango to Portland?

The service I was planning to use fell through, does anyone have recommendations?

Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2012, 05:49 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Drive it!

From Durango you go through Moab, SLC, Boise and a whole heaping pile of great distractions along the way.
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

trust me, if i had the time i would, but work is way too busy right now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM
icurnmedic
Thomas Church
1994 Red D90

Door to Door transport out of Fla shipped my 90 back in Dec , from Minnesota to NC , cost around $650 and had no issues whatsoever.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

After the hellish experience the guy who ought the Bentley from me had, I'd tell you to be very careful using a broker and to avoid nationwide auto transport at all costs. I've had good luck with FedEx in the past.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
What is your time frame? I could drive it.

I'm an excellent driver. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway every Saturday. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.

-Jeff
'Cause Whopner is on?

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

I'm not in a huge hurry, but it'd be nice to get it on the road sooner rather than later...
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
After the hellish experience the guy who ought the Bentley from me had, I'd tell you to be very careful using a broker and to avoid nationwide auto transport at all costs.
Aaw heck, you have to tell more. What happened?
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yeah likewise...we helped you load it, the least you can do is spill the issues that happened!

I also find it amusing that there are 3 avatars of me in this post, yet none of them are on my profile.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
When was it, late January when we loaded it up? Well, it was supposed to get picked up that Wednesday. After 3 canceled pickups, a sea of unreturned calls to the buyer, etc, it was finally picked up last Thursday. No wait, that got pushed to Friday. No wait, that got pushed to Saturday. And when the truck showed up, he wasn't aware there was a second chassis. So after literally 5 hours of the driver calling his dispatcher who was calling the broker, and me calling the buyer who was calling the broker, the truck took the Bentley, left the chassis and left a promise to pick up the chassis on a subsequent trip. All this because the broker was lying to the dispatchers to try to get it shipped as cheap,y as possible to maximize their profit.

Huge hassle. And the owner is in Africa for the next 3 months, so I anticipate this won't be finally resolved for some time.

All this is to say that, as usual, you get what you pay for. The owner got very cheap in shipping and is now paying for it.
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If one counts in the cost of the flight out, gas, food, and sleeping arrangements, the cost of vehicle shipping starts looking cheap.

I tried one of those online bidding companies to price out the cost of shipping jetmech's truck from Albuquerque to northern virginia. Besides getting spammed with email and phone calls for weeks, the lowest price I got was from "Stateway Auto Transport" with a price of $826 all inclusive.
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:51 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Thumbs down for uship...

Had a shipper win my 90 shipment last year and they damaged my soft-top. The short story is that their insurance covered part of the damage, but I am still owed the deductible from the shipper... I can't seem to get anything from them. Be careful who you're dealing with. Next time I won't go with the lowest bidder (also, have you seen shipping wars on TV?). You certainly get what you pay for.
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:45 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Drive it. Hands down the best. If nothing else you will familiarize yourself with the truck. It doesn’t take long once you get going. If work is busy, fly over on a Friday afternoon and drive back over the weekend.

As has been said, be very careful of the cheap shipping quotes. It doesn’t cost that much in fuel, food and lodging to drive.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Uship was useless in trying to transport the Bentley and only produced ridiculously high bids in trying to ship an ARB. Again, in the long run I think it's very worth while to spend the money on a reputable shipper. In fact, the cost of getting my father's Bentley to Pebble Beach 2 years ago, including having the transporter on site at the show for a week, the driver cleaning the car each morning, loading and unloading at will AND bringing the car back to VA wasn't double the cost of the abortion of the shipping of my Bentley to Washington state one way.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Call everyone listed on here. That should be a good start.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24917
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Arjun
Arjun
None

I have used Intercity Lines and DeMoise Trk-ing for transporting temperamental Italian cars and was very happy with their service. Wouldn't trust my cars to anyone else for long hauls.

This probably won't help you but might be of use for mid-atlantic peeps: For local east coast haulage I use Dominic at Italia Auto Transport (he's on uship). He transports the Ferrari Challenge cars for Classic Coach and FofFL so you know your car/rig will be safe with him. Another option is Matt Brown of Whitehorse Concierge, but enclosed his trailer can't take lifted rigs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, shipping