Any motor cycle nuts in here! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Any motorcycle nuts in here!

I'm just looking for an advice. Well, I almost bought a Ducati Monster S4R and I was approved and everything but the dealer failed to tell me a small detail and I backed out of the deal.
I went to a different dealer but they didn't have what I want so now I'm leaning to the Ducati Multistrada or the MV Agusta. Anyone have any experience with those two?I won't be doing any city driving, I'll be doing mostly mountain highway cruising, and curvy roads.

Anyone, has any experience with Buell.

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2004, 12:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I got hit from behind at about 35mph while stopped at a light once on my HD. Lots of stitches, a few herniated disks, cuts and bruises but I was ok, I was walked out of the hospital 5 hours later. The doc could not believe I didn't break anything. My bike had 9k in damage and it wasn't totaled. It looked better after it was fixed actually. I love bikes but they are dangerous. Ducati makes a killer bike.
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:04 PM
dante18
Dante
None

Yousef I have owned and raced Ducati's for years. I currently have in my paddock 1992 907IE, 1993 888Sp, 2000 996s. My Brother owns a 1995 900 monster. My 2 other Brothers between them have about 6 bikes. So I am certainly a nut for 2 wheelers. I do not have any riding exp on the Multistrada but I have ridden the MV (very impressive). You can not go wrong with either, just understand that these Italian bikes are finicky mine do 1000$+ per year in maintenence whether I ride or not (some kind of dichotemy with LR's here). I would be careful with the MV in a few respects parts and service might be non-existent any place other than a metropolitan area. Buells are nice just don't rev em too high, I am pretty sure they still use Harley's crank which puts both con rods on one journal so they starv at high revs. Let me know what you decide, and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2004, 01:15 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Randy, that's why I don't like to ride in the city, it's just to dangerous.

Dante, my brother also a Ducati crazy, he has the 999s and 996 race bike but Don't want to ask him b/c he'll lecture me about how dangerous they are plus I have two kids. I've been riding since I was 8 years old and I used to use one leg to balance the bike not a very good idea i know. I've always been into Honda's and Suzuki's and it's time to change.
I would love to buy the 999 but I'm that kinda of guy that does a long wheelies and a lot of endo's and I know I'm going to kill my self with those bikes, that's why I'm looking for the above mentiond bikes b/c or their up right position.

I'll let you know which one I end up with.
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:17 PM
RichardMoore
Richard Moore
2002 TD5 D-90 Hardtop

used to be a motorcycle nut - owned meriden Triumph Tiger/Trident/speed twin and hinkley speed triple + KTM Duke but gave up two wheels to fund D-90 - a life long held desire to own Solihulls finest - I was born only a mile from the farm where LR engineers tried out the [pause while I genuflect and make the sign of the cross-axles] centre-steer prototype, the fountain head from which all things 4WD have sprung
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Yousef,

I am a motorcycle nut but partial to my Harley. But I say to each his own. I hear the Ducatis are awesome.

Rick
Old February 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Damn Richard, you're a nut.
Now I'm really disappointed I didn't get a chance to meet you last time I was in Warwickshire. Next time for sure!
Maybe we can meet in Gaydon, I've got an inside man there now working for LR/Jag. Hopefully he marries my wifes cousin or keeps her around long enough for me to get back out there.

Sorry to hijack your thread Yousef. Good luck with your purchase.
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old February 25th, 2004, 09:39 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Yes... I've had Ducs, used to race a 900SS, which is the same motor and muchly similar chassis as the Monster. I dig the monster if you don't want to go all the way sport. Plus it is quite a bit more comfortable than other Duc race bikes.

A few years ago I switched from Ducati to Aprilia. I currently ride an Aprilia RSVMilleR. You might want to check those out too. They are amazing. Also quitre a bit more comfortable to ride than a Ducati (except for the Monster which is a "standard" style bike).

We also ride DRZ400s in the trails. 2 bikes, one Rover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg0063.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	327  
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:15 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

the bike thing brings up a similarity to the 05 discovery discussion, when ducati launced the 999, everyone in the industry along with ducati fans hated it.
People were crying that it was the end of ducati, then all of a sudden the bike was launched and now everything is good, the bike is winning races and being up close the bike is got the ducati flare. Looks a million times better then the pics and spyshots. I gotta say though the back end pipes are way ugly and too bad they did away with the single side swing arm, sort of like the disco is doing away of sold axles, hmmm anyone sensing the similarty
oh and by the way, I had a 916 sps when I lived up north then did a consignment deal with ducati of manhattan, the bike was bought by someone in PA. I absolutly love the sound of the mighty ducs.
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:35 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I went and check them out today and I still want the S4R but they only have it in red which it doesn't look mean. I dig the single swing arm on it but not sure yet about the color.

So far it looks like I'm going with the Multistrada. Upright seating position, single swing arm, how the exhaust exit from under the seat, and you can add storage boxes like the BMW GS.

Wicks, I like your bike but that stuff will kill me
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:07 AM
RichardMoore
Richard Moore
2002 TD5 D-90 Hardtop

say Art that offer of a beer still stands
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:18 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Yeah, we prety much only ride the superbikes on the track these days.
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:59 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Ducs sure are pretty, but the wallet couldn't handle the maintenance, especially for the few number of miles I put on it. I ended up buying the Buell M2 after also considering the Truimph ST (another fun bike). I've also test ridden the Lightning and Firebolt, and the Lightning is good, IF you like that riding position. Not a good cruiser, that's for sure.
Love the Buell. Easy maintenance, dependable, unique and fun.

my $0.02
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:26 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Buell is on my list. I like the Lightning XB12S and I'm going to check it out next week.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Agree. The Lightning riding position is more comfortable, and it's a sporty ride too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
motor