Any interest in a Defender tribute watch? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Any interest in a Defender tribute watch?

My friend owns a really cool watch company called EP Martin.

Check them out at: http://epmartinusa.com

I have designed a watch using the same case as the Cartridge model on their website but the dial face is inspired by the Defender Dash Clock. We may consider doing a limited (and numbered) batch of these if there is sufficient interest. I will post pictures of the new design but for now, check out their website and let me know if this is something that sounds interesting to you.

Thanks!

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Very nice indeed. My favorite is the Sahara.

Maybe an LR anniversary edition. This way it would also appeal to the RR & Disco owners!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

nice watches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90
Very nice indeed. My favorite is the Sahara.

Maybe an LR anniversary edition. This way it would also appeal to the RR & Disco owners!
There will be trademark issues around naming it Land Rover. The dash clock in the Defender I think was also installed in the older Range Rovers. It may not even have the Defender name on it either, it depends on if it is trademarked. I would prefer keeping it "inspired" rather than "official" so that we don't have to go through all the legal hoops of approval just to get the LR name on there. I have seen some of the LR watches done the past and they are just awful. They don't represent the nature of the brand nor the character of the vehicles. The one I designed is a lot more tough looking. Imagine the Bell & Ross watch (see picture attached) combined with the dial face of the dash clock (see attached picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	153
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	18953   Click image for larger version

Name:	d90 clock.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	18954  

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Panerai_Pete
SW. Snow
1996 Disco XD

Carl, (I am what I would call a Watch Collector, I personally have almost 50 Dive and Pilot type watches.) I would be interested but I have a few ideas that you can feel free to ignore! As one of the commonalities of Defenders and Discovery's is their simplicity. So rather then going and making it a "High tech" kind of watch, why not keep it simple? Maybe keep in mind some of the ideas that make all of us want these trucks that we are all so enamored with?

As I said feel free to ignore my thoughts, but if we're going to keep the idea of the watch as conceptual as possible, why not keep it as simple as possible?

For example; I am a collector of Panerai watches, and what really attracts me to Panerai watches is their simplicity, this is also why I am what I would call a Land Rover nut? But all in all I like your idea and I will probably buy what ever you end up as far as a design, but I did want to put my two cents in. (Just for the record, I have met a few LR Nuts that are Panerai fans as well. Which at first struck me as a little odd, but when I started thinking about it, it made sense to me.)

Count me in for one, and if you can give all of us an idea as to when this make happen this would help too!

Panerai_Pete
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
discoinjapan
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1

Pete,
Did you happen to look at the post right before yours?
It looks simple enough to me.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

New Field Watch from EP Martin - Coming Soon.

The Defender tribute watch is on hold but we are currently prototyping a similar watch design that will go into production soon. We can't show you what it looks like just yet but I have attached images of the general feel we're going for. The new EP Martin watch will be a simple, military inspired field watch at an entry level price point.

Check out the current line at: http://epmartinusa.com/

I will let you know when it goes on sale. It is going to be a killer watch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1_a_lange.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	22082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aviator-military.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	22083  

Old October 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The price of a Bell&Ross is probably not known to most folks here and might make them choke. Kobold actually has made official Land Rover watches for LRNA as sales prizes and incentives, they pop up every now and then on watch forums or Ebay.

Interesting collection and decent price points for an ETA movement watch.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

If it's anything like the watch on the left, I'd be interested.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panerai_Pete
Carl, (I am what I would call a Watch Collector, I personally have almost 50 Dive and Pilot type watches.) I would be interested but I have a few ideas that you can feel free to ignore! As one of the commonalities of Defenders and Discovery's is their simplicity. So rather then going and making it a "High tech" kind of watch, why not keep it simple? Maybe keep in mind some of the ideas that make all of us want these trucks that we are all so enamored with?

As I said feel free to ignore my thoughts, but if we're going to keep the idea of the watch as conceptual as possible, why not keep it as simple as possible?

For example; I am a collector of Panerai watches, and what really attracts me to Panerai watches is their simplicity, this is also why I am what I would call a Land Rover nut? But all in all I like your idea and I will probably buy what ever you end up as far as a design, but I did want to put my two cents in. (Just for the record, I have met a few LR Nuts that are Panerai fans as well. Which at first struck me as a little odd, but when I started thinking about it, it made sense to me.)

Panerai_Pete
Impressive on your 50 Dive and Pilot type watches.. Curious do you happen to have both IWC Big Pilots watch and the Panerai Tourbillon Luminor 1950 GMT 47mm SS? Thanks!

Bell & Ross is a nice watch. I happen to like their divers watch
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c
Impressive on your 50 Dive and Pilot type watches.. Curious do you happen to have both IWC Big Pilots watch and the Panerai Tourbillon Luminor 1950 GMT 47mm SS? Thanks!

Bell & Ross is a nice watch. I happen to like their divers watch
I have the Tag automatic chrono Aquaracer diving watch as my daily. Love diving watches. Anyone want a black Tag Heuer Link Chrono (non-automatic)? I bought it as well as a matching ladies Link and never did anything with them. Never even wore the Link except for trying it on once. I might post in the Flea market soon...just haven't gotten around to it.

Also have a Jaeger clock, but it's a vintage "travel" clock, so it's much smaller...

Nice watch, Carl! I second Chance's if it looks anything like the one on the left I like.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

What IS that watch on the left anyways? I like the vintage stuff.

Also, the current EP Martin line is nice, but what are the face dimensions? I couldn't find that info on the website anywhere and I find that many of the newer watches are much, much too big for my taste.

EDIT: Appears to be a A Lange & Sohne watch.

Old October 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panerai_Pete

Count me in for one, and if you can give all of us an idea as to when this make happen this would help too!

Panerai_Pete
Panny fan here also. I have a Submersible and a base logo.

I also have the Bell & Ross pictured above. Fun watch, but a little odd feeling to me due to the square shape.

And like Josh, I have a Tag Aquaracer Automatic (non-chrono) that I use as my daily watch.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
What IS that watch on the left anyways? I like the vintage stuff.

EDIT: Appears to be a A Lange & Sohne watch.
It appears to be a IWC big pilot watch
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

55mm face! Much too big:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2009/1/...watch-mad.html

Old October 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
You are correct. 55mm is too big. 36mm to 47mm diameter is appropriate in my opinion.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I own a 55mm IFO u-boat watch and it is enormous! plus it doesn't help to have sissy wrists.

42mm - 47mm is the right size. Large, but not overbearing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	22086  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I go both ways on watches...from most simplistic to more over the top ones. Still one of my favorites is the King Admiral's Cup from Corum.
Attached Images

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
I go both ways on watches...from most simplistic to more over the top ones. Still one of my favorites is the King Admiral's Cup from Corum.
A little to much contrast for me on that one....

I am digging the new Rolex Sea Dweller DeepSea however.

http://www.rolex.com/en/collection/o.../M116660-0001/
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
it doesn't help to have sissy wrists.
Yah, that's me. Too many years of piano I guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat