Any home chefs out there? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I have a mix of all sorts of cookware. including Allclad skillets, love em.. I even have a complete set of ancient Revere ware Sauce pans that work great.. Still saving for that one most important device for the kitchen though. http://www.dcsappliances.com/indoor/detail.php?id=8 I can buy a lot of Defender parts for the price of this guy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
I have a mix of all sorts of cookware. including Allclad skillets, love em.. I even have a complete set of ancient Revere ware Sauce pans that work great.. Still saving for that one most important device for the kitchen though. http://www.dcsappliances.com/indoor/detail.php?id=8 I can buy a lot of Defender parts for the price of this guy!

Nice! The big thing here in FL these days are outdoor or "summer" kitchens. That is what I would love to do. We are probably doing an add on to the house in a year or so and might incorporate one...
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

It's funny but Friday I was out grilling in 25 degrees... When I want a truely grilled chunk of meat there's no stopping me!!! Much of our cooking is done outside during the summer, I'll push that envelope further this summer with two more burners and the grill and the smoker and the wood fire and the, and the, and the, and the!!!! Man I'm getting hungry!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I'm with you Keith. A nice hunk of Beef a bottle of wine and a fire, nothing stops me either
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

I'm a big fan of french steel. It's raw steeel, so it eventually seasons like cast iron, you can throw it in the oven or use it on the stove. Easy to clean, easy to re-season. Works best as a saute/fry pan, but has many other uses. I tend to prefer stainless however for high-acid dishes.

Heat conductivity is great.

I have $700 belgian stainless stuff, but I use the $35 french steel most often.

Best: it's cheap! On sale, my big fry pan was $35.

You don't see french steel here much. Sur la Table used to carry it.
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

As a chef and graduate of CIA, I like the all clad product but keep in mind that there are department store grades that are not the same as the good stuff. Expect to spend at least $600 for a small set of the good stuff. I have a full set of the copper and stainless as well as some stick free pans and some old campfire skillets. that and a few good knives is all you need. pass on the gadgets. Never wash your iron or your omlet pan. Season everything in a very hot oven with a high temp oil to cure your sticking issues. Good luck and feel free to pm if you have any issues.

and to add:
I you find some restaurant auctions in your area, you can get some good seasoned stuff that isn't real pretty but cooks well for a small amount of money. Also, some of the us knives are real good now days but they are a bit softer metals so the dull quicker but are easier to keep in tune.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:49 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
Best of both world I have a great bunch of All-Clad and wife has a set of Le Cruset they both have there own benifits. Stay away from the non-stick ( that stuff will kill you). No stiking problems if you use a bit of oil. A good Saute Pan maybe a stir fry pan, Oh and thestaking stemmer set you will love. us ethe Le Cruset for searing
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Calphalon - http://www.calphalon.com/

We got cookware for our wedding. We always wash them by hand - never use the dishwasher on our cookware. The stuff has totally held up since 1999. The non-stick surface is great in my opinion.

Flagg
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
Barkeepers friend makes those SS look great. works on wheels too.
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
1000kva
paul girard

About a year ago I bought a 20 piece SS all clad set at sams club for about $150 yes things will stick in it if you don't use butter or something but otherwise it is a great set and I don't have to freak out if a piece gets damaged due to the price. If you are just doing basic cooking and are not going to compete in the next iron chef competition I would say go the route of getting a couple of really good individual pieces as 80% of my set is still sitting in the box unopened.
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Le Creuset is the shizzit. http://www.lecreuset.com/ We're slowly replacing all our Calphalon with it. There's a Le Creuset outlet store in Frisco. Come skiing and pick some up!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Looks like I am going to go with 2-3 choice All-Clad peices to get started. I am also going to get a Calphalon multi pot with the built in pasta strainer as we do LOTS of pasta. All-Clad has one for $250, but I think the $80 Calphalon will do just fine.... I am throwing in some cooking classes for the two of us at a local resturant as well. I went to the dollar store this weekend and got all kinds of cooking utensils. I will wrap them all separately just to freak her out...
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
Le Creuset is the shizzit. http://www.lecreuset.com/ We're slowly replacing all our Calphalon with it. There's a Le Creuset outlet store in Frisco. Come skiing and pick some up!
That is what we use too... Besides it being from France, we really like it. A lot of the pieces are pretty ingenius. We also have seveal pieces of All-Clad and the SS version from Sams/Costco.

Scott

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fs