Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Any fly fishers here?

I'm wondering if anyone has done fly fishing on a lake? I have the opportunity to go to Lake Powell and I'm considering bringing my fly gear. I have only done small streams and rivers locally with a 5 wt rod. When I got my rod the salesman said it should be adequate for some bass but I don't know about a big lake like Powell. Maybe some sinking fly line, a heavier rod, and of course all new flies would be necessary. If I have to get all new gear I would pass and just use one of my dad's casting rigs. He will be bringing his boat, but I'm not sure if there will be enough room on it to even do any fly casting without hooking someone.
Thanks for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

Lots of things to do with that rod on any lake. Lake Powell shouldn't be any different, just bigger... I would suggest contacting a local shop and depending on timing etc you can also drive to lees ferry for some river fishing for trout.

I haven't fished Lake Powell, but you should be able to find some top water action in the eveings or early morning using poppers and that is a lot of fun. You can also get a sinking line and strip in streamers. I think they have some healthy striped bass as well.

Best advise is to google a local shop and they can give you the low down.
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I was at Lake Powell last month and one of the guys I was with did some fly fishing. I have no idea what kind of rod or flies he was using, but he looked like he was having fun. Oh, and he didn't catch a thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I fished Lake Powell a few years ago and it was the best fishing I have ever had. I know you have your heart set on fly fishing but the Striper action was unbelievable. We bought frozen fish at the gas docks ( I can't remember what they were, something like shad) anyway the process was to drift next to any place where the rock ledges drop off into the water near the main chanel and put a chunk of fish on a hook. Let it drop down about 40 to 60 feet and whamo the Stripers will hit it hard. If you find a spot stay there as the fish tend to school up. If you don't get a bite in the first 2 miuntes move around a bit. We caught over 50 stripers ranging from about 18 - 27 inches in one day.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I only fished Powell a few times and its been years since I've been there. It was always a real cyclical lake with fish populations rising for a few years then crashing. I don't know if its good right now or not. We had great luck fishing like Craig did above. Used anchovies, I think. I used to take along a fly rod to catch bluegill around the houseboat in the evenings. Just used trout flies. I knew a guy that used to go down there in October, or so, and fly fish for the stripers. The fish would school on the surface and he would sneak his boat up near the edge to cast shooting tapers with shad patterns to them.

If you haven't been there before, its a cool place. I'd take boots, canteen, and a GPS. The hiking is great.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
That sounds good. I definitely want to get in touch with a local fly shop to get their advice. I have a good time every time I fly fish, but I certainly have more fun when I catch something!
I have been there twice, probably when I was in middle school. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been without a doubt. I could spend a month every year in the greater four corners area, in an expedition land rover, and never get tired of it.
Maybe I could get a spool of some sinking fly line then and check with a local shop on some flys at a minimum.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:51 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

Jeff,

I used to live in Roanoke and would head down to the Holston in Tn occasionally. That is close to you and there is great fishing in that area. The Holston is one, but the others in the area are good too. If you like fishing you should check out that area.

Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat