Any Computer Geeks Here? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 4th, 2010, 09:39 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Any Computer Geeks Here?

So I have a problem, well maybe not a real problem (it's petty I know). I run applications with my laptop such as Corel Draw, CS3, word perfect/word 2007 all at the same time. When the auto save kicks in it takes a long time (5-20 seconds of lag time) for me to keep working on something. My current processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 @ 2.00 GHz. I am looking to upgrade but do not want to wast money. So my final question....Would switching to a desktop with an i7 processor make it faster for the money I would spend, or am I just throwing money away. I am not super computer savvy but can get around ( I have built a few desktops in my time but have been out of it for a few years). If anyone can help It would be greatly appreciated, and if you need additional information just let me know. Thanks for your help in advance, I am working on finishing my thesis and am hoping I can do it a bit faster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
How much memory do you have and how full is your hard disk?
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:19 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

4GB of memory and 99GB free on a 7200, 200GB hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Is your thesis large?

Assuming you are running windows, start the task manager and see what your memory/cpu/disk activity looks like when it is saving, but my money is on I/O. If it is, and you have free RAM, you could try putting your documents on a ramdisk for better performance.

I doubt upgrading will be worth it unless you get a system with SSD drive(s).
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:19 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I doubt you need to upgrading as well. You shouldn't be having a hardware problem with those specs on that laptop at all. I run all those apps using huge art files and a number of other apps on lesser spec laptops.

The delay in the auto save may be a number of things. First one that comes to mind is if I work off a USB stick I will often see the exact same issues. Word and CS3 will lag for those amounts of times while it auto saves.

If you are working off a USB stick, copy the files locally and work off them. The auto save should be almost un-noticeable unless you are using super huge files. When you are finish, back up the revised versions to the usb stick.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:36 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am not a computer guy, but everytime this has happened to me, there is something wrong or corrupt with the document, usually, because some idiot (not me--I cut and paste unformatted unicode text) cut and pasted something with a formatting that is not supported. Given that it is your thesis, I would create a new file and wipe the formatting and reformat it.
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

when was the last time you did a disk defrag and cleanup? Sounds more like a problem with storage access speed rather than anything to do with processor speed.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yes, I usually do what Charles said when I have problems. If you have anything taking up more CPU usage than System Idle Processes, you'll want to troubleshoot that. If you've downloaded torrents or use programs to download/share, they can often be resource hogs in the background without you knowing it.
Are you tracking changes on your doc?
Yeah, like Chris said, the only time I've ever experienced this during auto save was when I was running the doc off of my USB.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
I have been a software engineer for 15 years, and currently I manage 10 developers. I have been in the industry for many years and I have one thing to say.

Get a Mac.

I know it probably isn't what you want to hear, but I was a dedicated PC user for 13 of my 15 years saying that the Mac was just not robust enough, my company then started getting into video production and presentation and the Mac became a necessary platform.

I cannot tell you how happy I am with this platform. It is just so much more stable and powerful. Mac has come a LONG way and I just cannot emphasize how much better the Mac platform is then the PC.

I am sure there will be arguments to follow this post going either way, but coming from a programmer/computer geek. Make the investment in a Mac, you will not be disappointed!

my 2 cents...
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:25 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Get CCleaner and then Defraggler ...

CCleaner will wipe all the crap away from your computer, all the temporary files, all the cookies, etc.. I run it daily to clean up all the temp files that I leave behind that I don't need.

Defraggler is a good defrag program... run at least once a month.

Your proc speed is definitely fast enough, 4gb of ram is plenty and 99gb free should be fine.

As for the mac-- To each their own.. I've owned a couple of them.. not overly impressed.. I've always felt it was too clunky... a lot of people love them... These days I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and loving it.. For things I need linux for (such as my development webserver, proxy, ftp, etc..) I run ubuntu in a vm.. everything is handled nicely..

I don't manage 10 developers, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night!
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

+1 on Defrag and running a local copy of the file
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I have been troubleshooting Windows/PCs for nearly 15 years, and have a lot of real-world experince troubleshooting performance problems.

What OS version?
Service Pack level?
Is it 32bit or 64bit?

A few things to try in a methodical, step-by-step manner:

1. Try what others have said; make sure the files are local, and do a defrag. The built-in Windows defrag usually takes 2 or 3 passes to do a good job.

2. Try defragging the system files (registry, event logs, and pagefile) using PageDefrag (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897426.aspx). Use the "Defragment at next boot" option and reboot the box.

3. Make sure your pagefile is optimized. For best performance, don't use the default setting of allow Windows to manage the pagefile or something to that effect. Set your pagefile to a fixed size of 1.5 x the size of your physical RAM. You have 4GB of ram so 1.5 x 4096 = 6144. So for the Inital size (MB): set it to 6144, and for the Maximum size (MB): set that to 6144 also.

- To reduce the amount of reboots, do this step before step 2.

- Reference for the 1.5 x Physical RAM: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223.

4. Use the process of elimination; start bu stopping any non-essential services like Google Updater, iPod Service, Apple Mobile Device, etc.

5. This is a big one that causes A LOT of performance problems: antivirus software. These are referred to as kernel-mode file system "filter drivers". Basically every single file that is read or written has to pass through several layers of filter drivers (this is normal), however, when start installing more applications, you add mre filter drivers such as that can slow things down depending on how the drivers were written and not many are written properly.

a. You need to test without antivirus running for slow performance issues. Take your computer off the Internet (if you want to be uber safe) by unplugging the cable or disable the onboard wireless NIC. Then go Start -> Run, type in: "services.msc" without the quotes and click OK. Look for your Antivirus's services and stop them. Change their start up type to Manual or Disabled and reboot for the changes to take effect. Try to repro the issue; revert if it didn't make a significant difference.

b. For steps 4 and 5, you could use msconfig.exe (Start -> Run, type in "msconfig" and click OK) and do a Diagnostic startup. You can also go to the Services tab, and tick the checkbox for "Hide all Microsoft services" and then click Disable all button to disable all non-Windows/non-Microsoft services. Reboot, test, etc.

6. I don't know too much about t-shooting Office apps, but I did notice that if you hold down the CTRL key while launching Word, you are prompted to start Word in Safe Mode...try that too and see if that makes any difference.

Let me/us know how it goes...
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerBT
Get a Mac.
I agree, and to the OP with CS3 and other Programs even on my 4GB IMAC it still gets slow too but not that bad, but photoshop will sow your computer down especially if you have other apps open.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:59 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Crikey ... all this to figure out why a computer takes 20 seconds to save a file ... in 2010 I was expecting inter stellar travel, jet packs and a solution to door bottom corrosion on my D-90!

Before trying all these cures you need to work out what is causing the problem and even if it is actually an issue or expected behavior. Making a change before knowing what the problem is at best pot luck and at worse potentially going to make the situation worse.

The amount of time you take to figure this out might be better spent working around the issue, decrease the frequency of autosave, make regular backups and get into the habit of saving yourself periodically.

Having a good backup strategy is vital ... have several versions, don't save on just one hard drive and make backups on the net ( just send a copy to gmail every so often).
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I think we broke his computer, as I haven't seen him logged in since this post.
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I haven't seen him logged in since this post.
Josh, are you stalking him???

Oh yeah, x2 on getting a MAC...I held back on saying it earlier but now that it's been said.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

Thanks for all of the suggestions. To answer some of the questions I defrag (set on auto) once a week. Also, I run regcleaner, ccleaner, malwarebytes, and a few other programs to keep it running smoothly. I back everything up and sometime use a flash drive but I do not see to much of a speed difference weather I am saving to the hard disk or the flash drive. I really don't think I have a number of background programs running as I check every so often. As for the Mac suggestion, I have one, it is a G4 so a bit older. I also have access to high end Macs at school that run modeling programs so they are pretty up to date. So here come the bashing, I like Microsoft and the PC better. Nothing against the Macs they are nice, just like the PC. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat