Any bee keepers here? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 31st, 2015, 08:14 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Any bee keepers here?

Looking for first time advice and if anyone has any extra suits adult of kid that they would sell? We're excited to try it this year as it's been a long time to-do.
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:12 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Been keeping for years! You order a couple packages?
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:36 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

Just ordered one pack that I have to go get mid May but have nothing else yet. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and have a friend in town who does it so I can watch him get his setup going as he gets his bees before me. Hoping to find some used gear as Id rather not spend 500-1000$ to find out it's not for us after one season, but doubt that will be the case. Do you know anything about bee species? The place I ordered only had Italians left and sold out of carniolans.

------ Follow up post added April 1st, 2015 06:44 AM ------

Also too funny you do both sap and bees, were on our second year of sap and psyched for bees. We should start a Maine sap/ bees/defender cult...pass the cool aid
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2015, 09:38 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
my wife and daughter are hobbyists. you don't need all those fancy suits to start. i help them and i'm at the point where i just where a t-shirt and gloves (fight the urge to swat). you can use this as a suit to start, it's very effective and it's a DEFENDER:

Cordova DEFENDER II Microporous White Men's Large Hooded Coveralls-HDMP300L - The Home Depot

check with your local beekeeping club. they will often times loan you hives to start. our club does.

------ Follow up post added April 1st, 2015 09:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
Looking for first time advice and if anyone has any extra suits adult of kid that they would sell? We're excited to try it this year as it's been a long time to-do.
also don't be disappointed this go around. there's a plague that's hitting bees, colony collapse disorder, and it's bad. we hope there's some truth to the rumor that colonies are coming back.

you know it's really bad when the DOD is investigating it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/sc...bees.html?_r=0
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:10 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
my wife and daughter are hobbyists. you don't need all those fancy suits to start. i help them and i'm at the point where i just where a t-shirt and gloves (fight the urge to swat). you can use this as a suit to start, it's very effective and it's a DEFENDER: Cordova DEFENDER II Microporous White Men's Large Hooded Coveralls-HDMP300L - The Home Depot check with your local beekeeping club. they will often times loan you hives to start. our club does. ------ Follow up post added April 1st, 2015 09:44 AM ------ also don't be disappointed this go around. there's a plague that's hitting bees, colony collapse disorder, and it's bad. we hope there's some truth to the rumor that colonies are coming back. you know it's really bad when the DOD is investigating it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/sc...bees.html?_r=0
Josh, let's talk. I have been keeping for about 12 years. Lots of gear I'm happy to share and get you set up. You don't need a bee suit, but any responsible beek, as we are know, MUST wear a vail. Great shop in Portland that sells inexpensive vails. You can simply get away with that and carhartt's and rubber bands around your ankles. As for a jackets, you can also just get away with a long sleeve T in white that's baggy so it gives some room in case they get after you. Do not fret about CCD. We have not seen it in Maine and it's the last thing you should be worrying about. You also need a good give tool. They are like 5 bucks.

The Honey Exchange is in Portland and a great place to buy those two things. I can put together some stuff for you for a hive if you want. Hit me up. We are moving so I'm unsure what my beek situation will be at our new place (which is TBD but closer to you).
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:48 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
My mother and grandmother are getting into this, definitely going to forward them this info!
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:07 PM
vmcboss
Tansel
SOLD - 1985 127 HCPU 4DR RHD V8

Registry
We managed bee hives on our farm in the 1980's. Never used a suit. We used a Safari hat with netting, gloves, long sleeve shirts and long pants. Make sure you have a backup smoker and your centrifuge/seperator is clean.

It's a great feeling to bring in combs...we used an 1980 International Scout Turbodiesel to bring it up to the house to seperate, filter & bottle. Back then never heard of Land Rover.......
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:51 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Do not fret about CCD. We have not seen it in Maine and it's the last thing you should be worrying about.
knock on wood, hope you don't see it. last four hives that my wife and daughter did collapsed, and every time it did, a CT state investigator drove the 1.5 hour drive from Hartford to our house to collect bee carcasses.
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:58 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
knock on wood, hope you don't see it. last four hives that my wife and daughter did collapsed, and every time it did, a CT state investigator drove the 1.5 hour drive from Hartford to our house to collect bee carcasses.
There are a gazillion reasons for hive death and collapse, usually it is either related to disease or lack of food. Our state Apiarist also does the same thing, that's pretty standard practice. I hope we never see CCD or AfricanIzed colonies up here in the northeast.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 02:19 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

I had to get rid of my bees today....

They were not happy with me removing the upper quarter panel!

But to be on topic, ever since my first visit to the Common Ground Fair I've been wanting honeybees. The boss keeps saying no.
The people from Gold Star Honeybees had an exhibit which totally hooked me. Anyone using their style of frames??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat