Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 8th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK46er View Post
I got a few Christmas gifts this year and I am looking forward to some backyard beekeeping.
My boss Mark(owner of RN) has quite the apiary, it is extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
That is really cool...I've been interested in that for sometime but always forget about it! is there a preferred supplier?
Funny you should comment first, the only delivery I've seen of bees in my life was from Texas via UPS in the middle of winter last year.

------ Follow up post added January 8th, 2014 09:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Very cool. My grandfather kept bees and I have always wanted to do it. I need to make more time for the forums - I don't recognize most if the "strange" threads referenced!
I feel like the people that didn't want your garage any further back wouldn't be too happy about the bees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2014, 10:27 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK46er View Post
I got a few Christmas gifts this year and I am looking forward to some backyard beekeeping.
I have a good friend in Blackstone, VA who is a beekeeper and into Mercedes and VW diesels if you need a not too far away contact.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Streaky
Alden
1994/D90 NAS

My 10-yo son and I keep one bee colony. I would highly recommend it for just about anyone (unless you're allergic).

It is a great learning experience, helps the environment, produces some good honey, and might be the easiest "pet" we've owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2014, 06:45 AM
ADK46er
Craig Longenecker
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You people have backyards? Wow, must be nice!
Josh, you don't need a back yard, apparently there are roof top colonies if you have a root top.

------ Follow up post added January 9th, 2014 06:45 AM ------

Quote:

That site is a Baptist church in Wilkesboro, NC 28697, although I am Baptist.....I think you meant, http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm or https://www.brushymountainbeefarm.co...hatyouneed.asp
Sorry
It is BrushyMountainBeeFarm.com
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:34 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

My dad is a bee keeper.

If you can raise chickens, then you can do bees. Begin scouring Craigslist for equipment. What you really need is a swarm super. This is a ratty box that for some reason, bees love to swarm to. Thus you can catch a free hive of bees. The swarm super (as we call them, probably called something different) cannot be made, its magical. However if you can obtain one, do so. BTW, no kidding on the magical part.

Once you accidentally make one/procure one, place it at different places around your property. Move it once every couple of weeks. For some reason, if my dad puts a super next to the garage, he catches bees out the ying yang. However back in the woods, nada.

Oh and always keep an empty hive next to your hives. A lot of times your hives will swarm. Its nice to catch your own bees.

Bee keepers are a cheap folk. So be prepared for that. There are plenty of new people but ALWAYS seek out the old guy. These house wives who started bee keeping in 2008, yeah, they know nothing. The dude who has his own farm, yes. Learn from him.

Put your hives near water. If they have to get their water from dew off of leaves, the honey will look like motor oil. However with a nice stream, you get beautiful golden honey. We've done both. My sister likes the crap that looks like motor oil. While we don't have the hives at that location anymore, no one else wants it so it all works out.

Save the wax. Make candles. Not pretty but they bring they are extremely utilitarian.

If the honey crystallizes while in its jars, crack open the jar and put it in a pot of water over the stove. Fixes it.

Feed AS MUCH HONEY AS POSSIBLE to your children and wife. It helps boost their immunity to allergies. Instead of pumping them full of drugs and crap, the honey will be a much easier, healthier, and cheaper alternative. My sister and I are pretty immune to most allergies. I do have a bad reaction to poison oak but I gotta go roll in the crap to have an issue. Otherwise, pollen doesn't do anything to me except piss me off that my car is yellow. Other people, they act like they are about to die.

When its time to harvest the honey, get help but ALWAYS cut the caps yourself. Anyone else will cut deep into the comb and that is crap. You just want to remove the cap, not dig the crap out of the frame with the hot knife.

During the winter, please insulate your bees and feed them sugar water. Starting NOW, whenever you see sugar on sale, buy as much as you can and stockpile. You will go through sugar. Feeding them sugar is easier and cheaper than feeding them honey.

Put the hives as FAR away from the house as possible. Bee crap is actually quite large and when the womenfolk pull up in their nice shiny car...and then bees crap all over it...yeah, that DOES NOT go over well.

Most critters won't pay any attention to them but little a-hole kids will screw with them. If you don't have at least one acre to have these bees on, then this is probably a bad idea. We've had kids come and screw with them every once in a while...then the bees go and tear them up.

Do research on how the bees grow their hives. Adjust the size of your hive according to the size and weather. During the winter, having a smaller hive makes it easier for the bees to keep warm. However a small hive during the summer means they'll swarm.

Swarming bees are extremely docile. Carry a saw, some clippers, gloves, and some trash bags in your truck. If you find a swarm, just cut the limb they are on, lower it into a trash bag and throw it in the back of the car. My dad and I have driven home many times with a swarm in the back of his Yukon. Bees flying around everywhere. Its hilarious. When you get home, you just turn the trash bag upside down over a hive and shake em out. Then they are like, "Oh this looks like a good place to live" and boom. New hive.

You'll learn about their flight patterns. Typically you can go do basic work on a hive (add water/sugar) without suiting up. They are pretty docile. Only use smoke when you are entering the hive and ONLY open a hive when it is warm out. Pine straw works good in smokers and get you a butane torch to light it. Makes life a lot easier.

They usually don't attack your hands. We just use latex gloves when screwing around in the hive. Easier as you aren't wearing giant thick gloves.

When in the hive, if you see a drone, SQUISH THAT SOB. Drones are good for the nasty but then after that they are a drag on the hive. Oh and NEVER squish a worker bee. Every one counts.

For harvest, do research on how much you actually need to take. If you rob them of every bit of honey, they will starve at winter.

Good luck. If you thought rovers were time intensive. Have fun with this!

Oh and I apologize for my incoherent rambling. It is what it is.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:42 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
My dad is a bee keeper... and I apologize for my incoherent rambling. It is what it is.
Very cool post.

My friend in Blackstone brews his own beer and uses the honey from his hives.
Very good brew BTW.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:43 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
That is really cool...I've been interested in that for sometime but always forget about it! is there a preferred supplier?
Bill - I keep thinking about doing some beekeeping off and on too. My aunt keeps bees in Ohio, although thieves stole her hives a year or so ago. If you're interested, there's a class in Round Rock (http://www.roundrockhoney.com/). PM me if you decide to sign up for the class - it may kick my butt into gear to go too.
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
Bill - I keep thinking about doing some beekeeping off and on too. My aunt keeps bees in Ohio, although thieves stole her hives a year or so ago. If you're interested, there's a class in Round Rock (http://www.roundrockhoney.com/). PM me if you decide to sign up for the class - it may kick my butt into gear to go too.
Interested...wouldn't be able to do that until after the National LR Rally in August, too much happening between now and then! I'd like to get my daughters in on that too. I'll set up a reminder and contact you about it in August, maybe we can drag Gunmaker to it also!
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Very cool post.

My friend in Blackstone brews his own beer and uses the honey from his hives.
Very good brew BTW.

Agree - I have honey everyday in my tea. Very cool to read what goes into it.

I am not so sure it helps with immunities as I get wicked bad allergies but I do enjoy it.
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

I am not so sure it helps with immunities as I get wicked bad allergies but I do enjoy it.
another random...research medical hook worms...that will take care of those allergies! really...no lie do the research if interested. lol...
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:41 AM
willhahn24
William
1995 D90 SW #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

Make sure the honey is raw and local. It won't help much if the plants the bees are polinating are not located near where you live
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sadly you are right. I definitely won't be doing this anytime soon, but also not likely at the current premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I feel like the people that didn't want your garage any further back wouldn't be too happy about the bees
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:26 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
another random...research medical hook worms...that will take care of those allergies! really...no lie do the research if interested. lol...
haha - I will. Another one that who knows is true or not - I remember my mom saying if you had goats milk and the goat ate poison ivy that you would be immune to it. I guess like the Bud Light commercial - It's Only Weird if it Doesn't Work

------ Follow up post added January 10th, 2014 09:26 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhahn24 View Post
Make sure the honey is raw and local. It won't help much if the plants the bees are polinating are not located near where you live
Makes sense. Will look for some local raw honey next time I am at the market.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat