Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Any AK47 Builders Here?

So I got the bug again. I built a semi-custom 1911 last year and was looking to build another, lighter one this Christmas. I was at the gun store looking for inspiration when this ugly, battle-beaten, AK47 kept throwing glances and come-hither advances at me. I went home and tried to put it out of my mind but, like a teenage boy who saw his first pair of boobs in the flesh, I couldn't stop thinking about them. So for the last 2 weeks I have been reading up about building one. Before I commit to buying the parts, I was wondering if there is anyone here who has done it before and can give me some insight? I know it's not Rover related but I figured we have all been mesmerized by boobies before. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I biuld my own, at biuld parties, biult 6 so far, got a romy G kit im demilling right now.

Robert Deniro
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Sweet, are you bending your own flats? I was going to use No Dak receivers but my local gun shop is charging me $50/receiver for FFL transfers! What BS! The jig is $150 and I can bend as many as I want. Heat treatment looks easy enough and I always wanted a spot welder. Where are you getting the Romy G kits from?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

The flats I use from AKbiulder.net have the upper rails already bent, so it makes it a lot easier. We bend the flats and weld on the inner rails. I think ak biulder flats are 35 bucks. I got my kit off a friend but check gun broker, gunsamerica and also calguns.net, ar-15.com or any other gun site in your state. Shows also sell kits too. I like completed flats but theres a record of sale plus u still have to biuld it, might as well biuld from a flat so theres no serial plus its more fun.

Robert Deniro
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Just saw this this morning. I knew the bending brake I bought to redo the footwells will come in handy! Just saved me $150.

Old November 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thats nice and all but I prefer the regular old fashion jig you bend with a press, gets it done real quick, since at biuld parties people are usually waiting to use the jig after you so quick is good. Whatever works of course.

Robert Deniro
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Neil,

I'm in Florida so it's not a big deal for me but my cousin in cali wants to build one. How do you register your AK after you build it? Do you have to if you build it from a flat?

Old November 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

You don't need to register it, can't anyway registration ended years ago. Just biuld accordingly to SB23 specs (featureless of bullet bullet) and he'll be fine. If he needs more info on how to biuld a calilegal ak tell him to go to calguns.net and start reading from there. He can biuld either from a flat or prebent receiver he'll have to dros.

Robert Deniro
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

The jig makes life very easy. You should was able to purchase a used one on one of the forums, use it and resell it relatively easily. Also, make sure you only use high-end components (grips, etc.) -- I can't tell you how annoying it is to have a stock snap in two on the firing line. Tapco hasn't let me down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	33511  
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Tacticool!

Robert Deniro
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Completely! Ain't she a beut . . . Note that my previous comments about cheap parts applies to the one in the picture in spades!
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:43 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hehehe....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	33618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	33619  

Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

I built my AK and several ARs. It's a good feeling when you put them together. I've got $175 total in my AK and $610 in my AR. I bent an extra receiver to hold on to until I got another parts kit, but it has disappeared over the years. I'm afraid it was thrown away at some point. I had a friend that bought 45 Romy G kits in 2003 or 04 and I think he paid $65 a kit for them. He puts a few together here and there and sells them on the forums for around $350 and sells the kits and flats to friends which is where I got mine.

Name:	102_1618.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	33627
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
.....he paid $65 a kit for them.
Wow that's cheap. Best I could find now is $99 for a Romy G without a barrel, of course they are all sold out currently. This is my first AK build so I am spending a lot to tool up. The next few should only be the cost of the kits.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Wow that's cheap. Best I could find now is $99 for a Romy G without a barrel, of course they are all sold out currently. This is my first AK build so I am spending a lot to tool up. The next few should only be the cost of the kits.

For a while they were really cheap then thay became harder to bring into the country. The ones he got were all brand new rifles. There was still paper in the barrels. If you think about it they probably sold for 10 or 15 bucks when the Soviet Union went under and all some guy had to do was cut them in half and probably turned around and sold them for 20 or 25 bucks to another guy in the west who shipped them to the USA for twice the money and was happy doing it.
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
One of my new toys. Didn't build it but thought I would share. The gun bug is as addictive as the Rover bug. And as pricey!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phone 073.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	33747  
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Considering selling a Romy G parts kit. Assembled it, rails weren't perfectly aligned, no time to rebuild. Will cut the receiver in half. Will include some compliance parts. Reasonable offers.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:19 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

PM sent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat