Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 18th, 2017, 06:40 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Another VIN Question.

Be had the truck for three years. No import problems. But now we are switching insurance and they cannot make the VIN work.

Of course their computer will only search for NAS vehicles, this is a 1988 LHD 110, I have the Brit Motor Heritage certificate, matching VINs on the vehicle. And records back as far as 1990.

How do I convince them that the CalVIN web site properly decides VINs? Or is there any other way I can get "official" verification of the VIN that you know of?

Thanks.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Ask to speak to the underwriter ,you will probably have to provide proof of purchase, registration history and proof of value.

Or just choose another insurance
Old August 18th, 2017, 10:21 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Thanks, I'm sure you're right about what might need to happen. I'm worried that they want some official confirmation that the VIN is real, and as we all know, registration history isn't a good judge of a real VIN....

Is there some VIN database that is "official"? Some place I can direct them to so they can see that the VIN makes sense?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2017, 02:59 AM
Edmond
Edmond giragossian
1991 D130

Is there some VIN database that is "official"? Some place I can direct them to so they can see that the VIN makes sense?[/QUOTE]

I believe there is no official VIN database.
Write an email to Land Rover UK customer service, ask them to you need records for this specific vin#, they will tell you to ask Heritage certificate. That email will be proof that heritage certificate is good to your insurance company.

Also there is another website to other then calVin, it is as close as it gets.

Land Rover FAQ - History, Production, Sales - Chassis Numbering scroll down the page.

Did you try to insure it with Gieco? they are very easy to deal with.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:03 AM
DiscoDavis
C Davis
1990 110, 1995 Disco

Edmond,

I echo what Matthew says. Clifton NL VIN decoder is what I used in the past, and USAA accepted the VIN over the phone when I got insurance, they noted the VIN did not look correct but all I had to do was verbally affirm that it WAS correct, and matched title, registration, car etc. They did threaten me that they would dump me on the curb if I got into an accident or something and they found the VIN didn't match the car, as if I was trying to fool them... Oh and as a byproduct of this they did completely refuse to use agreed value for the insurance.

What has been done not for insurance reps per se, but for DMV and highway patrol inspectors was a guy sent a letter to LRNA with his VIN asking for an official response as to the correct VIN and year, and got LRNA letterhead back that said yes that is a correct VIN and this is the year, vehicle is non-US origin, may not conform to NTHSA or DOT stuff bla bla.

Honestly if they give you trouble just go to friends and ask them who their cool local insurance rep is and change to a better provider. They should be satisfied just with the fact that the VIN plate says what it says and it matches the title, registration, etc...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat