Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 31st, 2013, 02:58 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post

If people who know the facts keep that information private, threads like this will continue.
There is an ongoing investigation.

It will take days, perhaps weeks to get the facts straight.

What this does it make this matter look like teenage girls gossiping.

Time will tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2013, 03:05 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
It will take days, perhaps weeks to get the facts straight.
You must live in some government bureaucracy utopia where there is no red tape and agencies release information easily.

I will be surprised if we ever hear the real story unless it either (a) goes to court or (b) Aaron tells us directly. Certainly not in a few weeks.

What's really comical to me is that the main raid thread now has over 300 posts, and the regular talk on the forum has stopped dead in its tracks.

It's like how we all say we hate reality TV, but they keep making it because we are all secretly watching it and the ratings show it.
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:10 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
It's none of your business. I'm really disappointed with the behavior of some people on this site. Nobody here except Aaron knows what's going on with this and it's really nobody's business but Aaron's.
Sorry, Dad.

And more people than just Aaron know what's going on. The select cadre wants to keep secrets and tease out bits of information, which in a message board environment fuels conspiracy theories and further speculation. I didn't sign an NDA, and most like those that talk about "not commenting on ongoing investigations" are repeating something they heard on CSI.

It's of interest to the board, and as such, will continue to be discussed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2013, 03:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post

You must live in some government bureaucracy utopia where there is no red tape and agencies release information easily.

I will be surprised if we ever hear the real story unless it either (a) goes to court or (b) Aaron tells us directly. Certainly not in a few weeks.

What's really comical to me is that the main raid thread now has over 300 posts, and the regular talk on the forum has stopped dead in its tracks.

It's like how we all say we hate reality TV, but they keep making it because we are all secretly watching it and the ratings show it.
You missed my point.

I never said it was going to be easy. Weeks, can be 2 to a shit load of weeks...

The bottom line is, and we agree on this, all of this is speculations.

Old March 31st, 2013, 03:26 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
You missed my point.

I never said it was going to be easy. Weeks, can be 2 to a shit load of weeks...
OK, fair point.

Quote:
The bottom line is, and we agree on this, all of this is speculations.
Yup. No argument there.
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:42 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
It's none of your business. I'm really disappointed with the behavior of some people on this site. Nobody here except Aaron knows what's going on with this and it's really nobody's business but Aaron's.

Stop the speculation.

The same thing can also be said about speculation as to the instigator behind the DHS action. Until we know the real story, talking smack about other vendors who some suspect are involved is wrong.
Agree
Old March 31st, 2013, 04:09 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Chris,

I agree that the speculation should stop, but as for it being only Aarons 'business' I would disagree. 85Red110's truck was taken as well. The question becomes how far will this probe reach, and what are the implications for others who have trucks purchased through Aaron, or have seemingly similar set up trucks.

Bottom line, its a shitty situation all the way around.

-Jeff

Thank you, Jeff.

Im still sitting here in Iraq, ripping my f@#*ing hair out because my truck(which I love to death) is GONE, and not a single soul can even tell me where it is, much less what the investigation is even about. Ive spoken to DHS and CBP agents over the phone, and NO ONE will tell me ANYTHING. I cant even get a copy of the search warrant that allowed the feds onto Aarons lot to seize MY property.

Ive contacted my lawyer, as well as my congressman, but all I can do right now is wait.

No one is releasing ANY information. Its pointless to continue jabbering on any more threads about this whole clusterf#@$.

From what Ive gathered, Big Government is going to do whatever the hell they want, and I have to accept the fact that I may never see my truck again. Ill be out a couple stacks and a vehicle, life goes on, I guess. I just hope to God that Aaron and his family dont get burned. He has been nothing but great to me, and I consider him a friend.
Old March 31st, 2013, 05:13 PM
mattb
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountainrover View Post
Im not saying it was Aliens.....but it was Aliens.

I 2nd the alien theory
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:35 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
The speculation on Aaron's specific situation without further valid information is I agree pointless and possibly harmful. I have erred myself there and deleted at least one post when it was pointed out. The fact that 'something' happened that caused the authorities to seize a number of vehicles after they had landed here is a different matter and something that is going to cause discussion and rightfully so in my opinion.

I try to limit my posts to discussion and speculation on the rules and how to interpret them. Nothing I say of course should in any way be taken as fact or legal advice as I am not a lawyer and I don’t import vehicles for a living. I did stay at a holiday inn last night though and I am not short. I am simply sharing ‘MY’ interpretation of the publically available rules as they appear and as I understand them both from studying them over a number of years, discussing them with people who have/do import and from an understanding of the UK rules where pertinent from growing up over there and living with them in practice.

In my interpretation the rules on import seem pretty clear and fairly easily understood. It seems however that many don’t understand even the basics of them and a discussion on them seems relevant considering many here have, are or are considering importing trucks. Knowing at least the basics of the rules or even just where they may go to find out may help some avoid the easy pitfalls that some seem to fall into. Heck a discussion that the rules even EXIST seems to be in order in some cases.

The rules on what you can do with a truck once it’s here in the country (yes they exist believe it or not) are anything but clear and I am enjoying discussions on those as they help me with my own understanding. Most of us here modify our trucks to some degree or another and an understanding of those rules, murky as they are is I think very beneficial. An interesting take on the EPA 21yr exemption rule for example was recently made in another thread that if proved to be correct would be very helpful to many I am sure. I hope that one goes further and we get some interpretation on its validity?

Based on the bandwidth this is obviously something of interest to a great many people and I for one am glad that its crept out of the closet and is being discussed. As long as we keep speculation on Aaron’s (or others) specific case(s) out of it without further factual input then I see no harm in the discussion. If people (including me) post up something that is wrong then hopefully those who know can correct and we all get a better understanding. That after all is why we use a forum such as this is it not?

Edit - As an add on to paragraph 3 above on importation rules, I should add that paying for the advice of somebody such as Uncle Douglas and others who do this for a living is probably the best money you can spend in my opinion. Once you find a truck, ask them if they think its a good idea to buy and attempt to import it. They will tell you what you can and should do based on their 1st hand professional experience of the process. But knowing at least the basics of the rules before that point I think is important if nothing else it may help you with finding and selecting a correct vehicle in the 1st place.
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:48 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

All good points Ian. I started this thread because there seemed to be no hard evidence that the reason Aaron's trucks were seized was violation of importation laws (i.e. the 25 year rule) and VIN swap issues. To me, the possibility that there were stolen trucks/parts involved seemed a much more plausible explanation.

However, there are people on this board who have said "The investigation is to determine if the trucks are truly age appropriate."

Is that true for Aaron? How about the other place that was raided?

If this information is out there, why is the guy in Iraq still wondering why his truck has been confiscated?

This clearly is of interest to much of the community and I see no harm in speculating....
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Pointless and possinly harmful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
The speculation on Aaron's specific situation without further valid information is I agree pointless and possibly harmful.
I really like this forum because parts are exchanged at reasonable prices and information exchanges freely, perhaps too freely at times especially on subjects outside of the technical and build up arena.

Hell, once posted a comment on fuel pricing and quantitative easing and stated China buying US debt inversely and you would have thought that I was the biggest dumb ass on the planet with opinions everywhere including a guy who would not converse with me privately on the economics and capacity of refining fuel... he needed an audience for discussion... whatever I am bringing it up as an example only.
BUT
I learned my lesson to keep my global and domestic economic ideas and opinions to myself, much less political views.

The real facts involved in this bust situation can potentially effect the Rover community more than anything that has happened in the last 5 or even 10 years...

Am sure some of you want to speculate, especially if you don't know the good doctor. While I have never personally bought anything from him, have seen and talked to him at various events and he is a nice cordial and friendly family man with multiple small children and I am sure a very concerned wife.

Let me please suggest that we please drop these speculative threads and end this talk of one of our members and just let this subject drop. If not forever, but at the very least until those of you that thrive on the unnecessary drama come back when additional positive facts are uncovered that cannot be detrimental.

Remember this is not a reality show, it is someones life, freedom, livelihood being speculated with and recorded for all time.

Please let it go, please...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:26 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Well said, Robert.
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:58 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Stopping the discussion surrounding the specifics of Aaron's situation I agree with you. Let's wait until we have the facts there.

Stopping the discussions regarding the rules and what you can and can't do I disagree. Those have been discussed long before the recent situation arose and I think those are of great interest to members of the forum and have no bearing on Aaron specifically.

20k views on a thread only a few days old and the ongoing posts and interest in other threads such as this one even loosely related to the same subjects should suggest just how much interest there is in this.
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My god. No charges have been made- none. This is an investigation. There was no "bust" to use Roberts term.

The other place that was raided they took parts, only parts . They actually took some NAS 3.9 engines from the second place. No one has been charged with anything so wisely total silence.

Jerod you are way over the top.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
My god. No charges have been filed- none. This is an investigation. They took his trucks hoping to find something evidentiary. There was no "bust" to use Roberts term.
Jerod you are way over the top.
Thanks for sharing.

----Edit because you called me out specifically -----

Doug, I'm asking the same questions that everyone who doesn't live in the information hotbed of Virginia or North Carolina is asking. You are the one who keeps teasing out bits and pieces of information like you're on the inside of this thing. And when you don't like the line of questioning, you attack?

I'm way over the top because on an internet message board about Defenders, I'm asking questions and speculating about the Feds confiscating Defenders from businesses that sell Defenders? You're going to single me out of the 400+ posts on this subject?

I know, DrAaron is one of your buddies, but he's not one of mine. He runs a business that sells Defenders (see above) and I'm curious about the situation with his business and the other shop that got busted.

You're trying to control information on the Internet, simply out of personal deference to your friend. That in itself is fine, but you're playing fast and loose with information which doesn't help, and doesn't help us.
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Sorry, Dad.

And more people than just Aaron know what's going on. The select cadre wants to keep secrets and tease out bits of information, which in a message board environment fuels conspiracy theories and further speculation. I didn't sign an NDA, and most like those that talk about "not commenting on ongoing investigations" are repeating something they heard on CSI.

It's of interest to the board, and as such, will continue to be discussed.
Absolutely incredible.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 31st, 2013, 09:29 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Thank you, Jeff.

Im still sitting here in Iraq, ripping my f@#*ing hair out because my truck(which I love to death) is GONE, and not a single soul can even tell me where it is, much less what the investigation is even about. Ive spoken to DHS and CBP agents over the phone, and NO ONE will tell me ANYTHING. I cant even get a copy of the search warrant that allowed the feds onto Aarons lot to seize MY property.

Ive contacted my lawyer, as well as my congressman, but all I can do right now is wait.

No one is releasing ANY information. Its pointless to continue jabbering on any more threads about this whole clusterf#@$.

From what Ive gathered, Big Government is going to do whatever the hell they want, and I have to accept the fact that I may never see my truck again. Ill be out a couple stacks and a vehicle, life goes on, I guess. I just hope to God that Aaron and his family dont get burned. He has been nothing but great to me, and I consider him a friend.
Since your vehicle is part of the situation, your spouse may be able to go to the federal courthouse clerk's office and request the public record concerning the seizure. Since federal agencies were involved, they would have to go to the local federal magistrate judge and request a search warrant via an information. It might be a good place to start to at least find out if the vehicle is attached to a federal search warrant or case... If she goes this route, be sure she has the companies name and the company owner's full name...
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:31 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Yeah Doug, and you're all over PTSchram for his "Unbelievable" comment too.

Hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
His inventory was taken as part of an investigation. The investigation is to determine if the trucks are truly age appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
That is a pretty declarative statement that has not been borne out by the news reports I've read.

Where did you learn this to make such a statement with the obvious degree of confidence you have?
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

----Edit because you called me out specifically -----

Doug, I'm asking the same questions that everyone who doesn't live in the information hotbed of Virginia or North Carolina is asking. You are the one who keeps teasing out bits and pieces of information like you're on the inside of this thing. And when you don't like the line of questioning, you attack?

I'm way over the top because on an internet message board about Defenders, I'm asking questions and speculating about the Feds confiscating Defenders from businesses that sell Defenders? You're going to single me out of the 400+ posts on this subject?

I know, DrAaron is one of your buddies, but he's not one of mine. He runs a business that sells Defenders (see above) and I'm curious about the situation with his business and the other shop that got busted.

You're trying to control information on the Internet, simply out of personal deference to your friend. That in itself is fine, but you're playing fast and loose with information which doesn't help, and doesn't help us.
I'm buddies with Aaron ? Personal deference ? Limit information ? Busted? I don't know anyone that got busted.
I have never had any business dealings what so ever with Aaron.
Fast and loose with information ? Controling information ?
Thats a lot of (deleted expletive) assumptions and accusations rolled into a single post.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 31st, 2013, 09:42 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Deleted

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat