Another senseless killing (for a 2012 RR) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 16th, 2013, 10:08 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Another senseless killing (for a 2012 RR)

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/12/post_16.html

What is the solution for thugs with no remorse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Range Rover theft is on the rise big time. With their huge value overseas and the dealers refusing to sell them to exporters, we have received numerous warnings and bulletins from Land Rover advising us to keep them locked up tight. Land Rover themself had about 8 Range Rovers and Sports stolen from their own facility in Maryland a few months ago. And a month or so after that, a car transporter driver with a load of Range Rovers was truck-jacked at gunpoint and his whole truck and trailer was stolen (Fast and the Furious style).
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
perhaps they should have local authorities make certain its not on used car lot in Selby NC.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Really sad story that hit pretty close to home as a friend of friends. You wonder what goes through these thugs' minds and how they do not value life at all. They killed a kid for a freaking used car, drove it for a few hours and dumped it. What is the point?
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Tragic, but having been the victim of an attempted carjacking with my wife and newborn child on board, the soultion is;

A) Situational awareness. My wife was able to alert me to the attackers prescence before he was too close. Recognize a threat before it is too late.

B) Employ your defensive measures quikly and effectively. In my case my PDW was a .45 cal Glock G21 with 14 rnds of Cor Bon hollow points.

As a side note whatever defensive measures you should choose, be it fight or flight (neither is right or wrong) plan, practice then execute - just like a fire drill.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Really sad story that hit pretty close to home as a friend of friends. You wonder what goes through these thugs' minds and how they do not value life at all. They killed a kid for a freaking used car, drove it for a few hours and dumped it. What is the point?
Sorry to hear that Josh. Always tragic to loose a sharp mind in this world. The guy seems to have been on top of his game only 4 years out of law school.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Tragic, but having been the victim of an attempted carjacking with my wife and newborn child on board, the soultion is; A) Situational awareness. My wife was able to alert me to the attackers prescence before he was too close. Recognize a threat before it is too late. B) Employ your defensive measures quikly and effectively. In my case my PDW was a .45 cal Glock G21 with 14 rnds of Cor Bon hollow points. As a side note whatever defensive measures you should choose, be it fight or flight (neither is right or wrong) plan, practice then execute - just like a fire drill.
QFT.
My personal choice is an XD-45 with Cor Bon. Nothing says "Sir/Ma'am, I'm really not interested in sharing my truck with you today" than a .45 loaded with hollow points.

I do want to add that carjacking is pretty rare in Arizona. Thieves realize that there us a pretty good chance that they are NOT going to survive the encounter. An armed society is a polite society.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:30 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
An armed society is a polite society.

Only if one assumes rationality among all parties, which is a doubtful proposition.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Only if one assumes rationality among all parties, which is a doubtful proposition.
Less than 1/10 of 1 percent of guns in this country are used in a crime. Statistically guns are safer than the Kennedy family operating motor vehicles. I stand behind my post.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Plenty of debate about thus subject in the mud pit. My point was that identifying a potential threat and knowing how to react to that threat are paramount to survival when evil comes to call.

If you are going to flee, there are right ways and wrong ways to flee. If you are going to stand your groundm there are right ways and wrong ways to do that as well. The right way you go home safe - the wrong way you don't.

Once a threat is identified, you should not be thinking or reacting - you should be acting. If for instance you are in a carjack situation like the one above and your choice is to flee the threat, throw your keys one way, your valueables another and run like the wind in the opposite direction. You now have command of the situation because the bad guys are forced into reacting to your actions to get what they want - your car not you.

Whatever tactic you chose, know what you are going to do ahead of time and practice it.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
No gun or ammo will help you when an attacker already has the drop on you, pay attention to your surroundings.

If this guy killed the carjackers he would inevitably have a civil suite filed against him.

IDK what it is with people.

Assuming this guy shot
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Terrible story... I hate it for his wife.

One more reason to never slack on utilizing my CCW at all times... and one more reason to stay acutely aware of my surroundings.

Prayers for his family.

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Assuming this guy shot
In the head. From the pictures of that parking garage, it was likely there was no place to flee assuming the front of the parking space was blocked by a structure. Sad. Prayers for his family and friends.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1549107
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Short Hills Mall is known for being one of the most affluent malls in the US, which probably gives most of us a false sense of safety.

According to reports, he opened the door for his wife, walked over to the driver side and these crooks immediately started firing multiple shots - one of which was fatal. If the car was parked facing the barricade, then these guys shot him from the back.

Complete cowards.
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Wow! WTF is with these animals? Just another GTA video game I guess.
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
This one hit really close to home. This mall is in the next town over from me. And I was there with my wife and kids on Sunday (during the day) buying Christmas presents. We always park in one of the parking decks. Sad.
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Everyone needs to be careful out there, there is always cause for concern.
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

RIP. I'd rather be gunned down with a gun in my pocket than without a gun.

Robert Deniro
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
RIP. I'd rather be gunned down with a gun in my pocket than without a gun.
X2, me etiam.
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Besides the gun, keep your car doors locked. My wife, infant son, and I had stopped in a shopping center parking lot late one night in Port Angeles, WA to check Google Maps. I was focused on the phone when my wife jumped and yelled, "Whoah, who is that?" White guy in a hoodie sweatshirt was trying to open the back door where my son was sleeping in his car seat. Thank god my wife had locked it only minutes earlier. I threw it into drive and floored it across the lot. The parking lot had only one entrance/exit so we had to drive back by him to get out. He threw rocks at the car as we passed and then ran off. I had my Glock 22 but it was useless in this situation because he was trying to get in the rear passenger seat and the baby was in the way. I'm pretty sure that there would have been nothing that I could have done if the car door had been open and he had successfully climbed into the back seat.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat