Another one bits the dust - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 17th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Another one bits the dust

Yep you guessed it, I broke another LT230 crawler box. Pulled over as soon as it started bouncing the truck and had it towed home. Pulled the inspection plate and it looks like the input gear is missing a few teeth. I really had not driven it too hard on the road until last night. Last night I burt a can of sea foam to clean out the engne, after it was running real good, it felt like the 90 lost about 1/2 a ton of weight! That and it started raining real hard so I was pushing it to about 4k before shifting and I was hammering the throttle (no smoke shows or side stepping the clutch). Then on the way to work this AM I got about a mile from home and BAANG Bang Bang so I pulled over.

I'll be calling Ashcroft in the AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2005, 07:24 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Did they build this one and ship it to you or did you have the gears installed here in the states? Regardless it is a major bummer to see the failures

Maybe I should start sending you all of my products for testing. After all you seem to have a knack for breaking stuff
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL, I don't think I would be able to break most of your stuff! But it was built by Ashcroft. And I only installed the T-casein my 90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2005, 07:53 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Oh boy, here we go again! My crawler has not given me any fits yet, but I have not done anything with it other than a modestly tough test drive out in the wilds of southern Illinois. With two failures under your belt it sounds suspiciously like there is a flaw in the metallurgy. I think that I might ponder putting my stock gears back in until we can all resolve what is going on with the Ashcroft stuff. I'm not too keen about being marooned out in the toolies with busted gears.

Let us know what Dave Ashcroft says once you get hold of him.
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Big bummer! Sorry to hear it Mike. I thought that the other break was just a contaminate issue. Looks like there might be a design issue now....

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yeah thats what I am thinking seeing as they both broke in the same spot and it looks very much like the last break. I'll keep everyone updated!
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Mike..... just as a thought here, is it possible that something else in your drivetrain is really screwed up somewhere? I mean, that's just...... really wierd.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well lets see, the syncros in the tranns grind a bit, the engine has been throwing little fits every now and then. The D-shafts are good, the front diff is leaking a little at the pinion, the rear diff and axles have less then 1k on them. What the heck else could be causing this? The T-case before the crawler gears had over 20k on it, the one before that had 90k. Both of the crawlers died before the 2k mark!.

The part that broke in the t-case is a new part manufactured by Ashcroft (the input gear), it rides on 2 bearings that are set and preloaded when the t-case is assebled, if it was not in streight or something became missalined then the bearings would have a wear mark on them. The last case the bearings looked fine, I have yet to remove this one to check everything, but it is friken cold out! It may snow this weekend and I have other stuff I need to do! These things happen at the most inopertune time!

I'm only pissed a little because it is cold outside, if this was mid summer I really wouldn't mind mostly becasue when the 90 is down I can fix things that requier more then a days worth of work, but because it is frikin cold out I don't spend any more time then I have to out there!

Anyone want to bring their garage over my house to work on my truck
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Update, took some pics and rotated the gears around. The input gear is a little beat up, but the Intermidiate gear is missing a few teeth. I talked to Dave Ashcroft and word is the product will be discontinued, very disapointing as they spent allot of time developing the gears. Not sure what the next step is, I imaging once Dave see's the pics he will want to have them shipped back for further inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broke1.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	4315   Click image for larger version

Name:	broke2.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	4316  

Old November 18th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Mike, could it be the 35" tires? I mean, If I'm not mistaken Ashcroft sells these gears in the UK and don't have any problems. But I would doubt if they are running 35's on Defenders out there. I'm just trying to figure out how your truck is setup differently than others in the UK were they have much success in using these gears. Other than you don't have doors and a roof most of the year, the wheels are the only difference I see.

Old November 18th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I talked with Dave about just that this AM, first off he said it shouldn't matter, the gears should work no mater what. But when we talked he didn't know the exact details of the other Rovers the gears were in, but I don't think there are all that many over there with 35" tires, and even less with with a V8. So the chance one in the UK is behind a V8, with 35" tires is very slim. And yeah I think there is a Mike factor involved, I don't do smoke shows with my 90 but I do drive it like I stole it, I have the poor gas mileage to prove it.
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Wow, sucks to be you Mike I think it's time to join me and get a Disco

Sorry to hear about your problem, if you were here in CO I would lend you my garage and tools.
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
Mike, could it be the 35" tires? I mean, If I'm not mistaken Ashcroft sells these gears in the UK and don't have any problems. But I would doubt if they are running 35's on Defenders out there. I'm just trying to figure out how your truck is setup differently than others in the UK were they have much success in using these gears. Other than you don't have doors and a roof most of the year, the wheels are the only difference I see.

It just can't be the tires. If the crawler gears broke before a LR axle, there is seriously something wronge. Think of what other 4to1 or Klunes put up with. 44s and big blocks in heavy trucks. Really a bummer Mike, I had my hopes for these things.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:16 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That sucks.... Will they be shipping you yet another t-case to install asap?
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Thanks Yousef, but Can you just e-mail me your grage for a weekend?

Dave, yeah it sems like the strenght of the teeth on the gear are just not enough. But I think Glen was trying to say the reason why they are not breaking in the UK is they don't run 35s or a V8.

Randy, not sure what the plan is yet from Ashcroft.
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mike,
Bummer man.
Rob
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto
Winch challaage motors regularly run 35" Simex Extreems, they are one aggressive tyre! The main difference is the lack of rock crawling. It's all mud over here. I don't think crawler boxes are so popular either

Follow-up Post:

like this but bigger these are just 235/85's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dented wing(Small).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	4323  
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Winch challaage motors regularly run 35" Simex Extreems, they are one aggressive tyre! The main difference is the lack of rock crawling. It's all mud over here. I don't think crawler boxes are so popular either
You're right Mike... it could be the "rock crawling" part... or it could just simply be Mike (Hippert) himself. Ashcroft should hire him and make him their test engineer.

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike are those 130 rims on your truck in that pic?
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:53 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Tdi Guy.
They certainly are, they haven't enough offset and the (huge) side lugs catch on the hockey sticks big time.
I've a set of discovery rims I'm planning to cut the centers out of, turn the rim around and have welded back up to regain turning circle. (all in the fullness of time)
The photo was taken at the end of the winch challenge after I'd kicked the wing back into place.
The tyres were awesome I was getting to places my team mate (with the 1 alowed winch) couldn't get to with ARB's, V8, auto box and 255/85 R16 BFG's.( I run standard diffs )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat