Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken
I am rebuilding my 1997 90 into a 110 and am contemplating putting in an aluminum radiator and then adding an external oil cooler. I have already years ago converted the truck to an R380 so I have the grill cut out and space for an oil cooler where the tranny cooler used to be.

So I would assume if I were to do this I would just need to buy the ECR bits for a 1997 and then make some SS braided lines longer to mount to an external oil cooler. I know it is not that easy but seems like a good idea to get the oil cooler off of the radiator. Any thoughts?

Thanks for posting this. It has really made me re-think this problem.

Thanks to Mike at ECR for offering up so much info!

Tyler
Why not use the original auto transmission cooler (or still use it for the R380, like a stock Discovery set-up)? I was actually thinking of using one instead of the radiator mounted oil cooler, as I figured its efficiency would be higher. if your not using, and want to get rid of, the cooler and mounting hardware, let me know..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90
Why not use the original auto transmission cooler (or still use it for the R380, like a stock Discovery set-up)? I was actually thinking of using one instead of the radiator mounted oil cooler, as I figured its efficiency would be higher. if your not using, and want to get rid of, the cooler and mounting hardware, let me know..
I would but the cooler was damaged. One of the mounting fins was broken somehow and it did not mount so well. I am not even sure if i have it still.

I might have used some of the hardware when I was doing the R380 conversion. My buddy wanted an auto so swapped parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Just ordered the trail4x4 braided. That picture made me do it. How hard is a DIY job is this on a 97?
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner
raspy voiced Ron from the LR Mafia dropping calls to grieving LR owners
$5k, as she sits, you won't even have to see the body loaded on the trailer.

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
Just ordered the trail4x4 braided. That picture made me do it. How hard is a DIY job is this on a 97?
Dang... missed that sale.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
$5k, as she sits, you won't even have to see the body loaded on the trailer.

Ron says in mafia voice: " Don't worry lady, I'll take of everything..."

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken
Are the adapters to 8AN you speak of the ones that you sell on your site? I am trying to learn all the parts etc...

Tyler
Yup, those plug into your GEMS motor and then you can run any 8AN fitting to any aftermarket oil cooler you like that has AN fittings on it.
That is why we developed our set up based on AN fittings, so that you can use the adapters for all kinds of stuff, not just our lines.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
Do you think oil cooler lines just burst??? I mean if you check them from time to time and don't notice any leaks from the right side. I would think you would have some warning that it is time to replace them.
I had mine burst. I had changed my oil a few days before so that is the only reason why i think my truck didnt go up in flames. The entire manifold was covered in oil. I had bought spares before I hadnt put on yet. I need to replace with braided!

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Dang... missed that sale.

Follow-up Post:

Ron says in mafia voice: " Don't worry lady, I'll take of everything..."

Follow-up Post:

Yup, those plug into your GEMS motor and then you can run any 8AN fitting to any aftermarket oil cooler you like that has AN fittings on it.
That is why we developed our set up based on AN fittings, so that you can use the adapters for all kinds of stuff, not just our lines.
Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I didn't read anywhere that the car was burned up because of an engine fire, although it probably was. Where was the owner? Did he just run off into the woods when the car caught on fire? Sounds like it could have been lit on fire by somebody if the owner was not there.
If it caught on fire while driving, the owner probably would have said so in the article.

97 D90 SW
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Mike, I can email you a link to the pics but i have so many I think it would take forever to send. PM an email address that you want me to send the link to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
97s are a little different. They do not have the easy to remove lines like the 93-95. The line outlets are made into the timing cover. You'd need special plugs and I do not know the oil flow dynamics of the GEMS timing cover, so the oil lines in a 1997 might be needed. I never explored removing them.

Mike, can you email me the pix of NAS 110 #24 again. I like to keep that NAS 110 stuff on file here.
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

if for some reason you want to keep it stock, buy the fuel line insulated covers that are on the fuel lines (that are over top of the exhaust manifold BTW) and slip them over the new stock lines when you install. They will protect the lines and if a leak ever does develop it will be contained by the cover and not spray on the manifold.
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpalmer
I didn't read anywhere that the car was burned up because of an engine fire, although it probably was.
It was the oil lines. You can see the tell-tale trail of oil leading to the RH front area of the truck that was dropped while the truck was in motion. See the other images of burnt 90s and 110s on the ECR site. It all starts with the oil cooler lines.

Old May 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover
if for some reason you want to keep it stock, buy the fuel line insulated covers that are on the fuel lines (that are over top of the exhaust manifold BTW) and slip them over the new stock lines when you install. They will protect the lines and if a leak ever does develop it will be contained by the cover and not spray on the manifold.
Just a thought, but wouldn't the insulated cover have failed before the oil line failed? I guess you could use the insulated covers like a sacrificial anode...
Still seems better to replace with SS lines.

Old May 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So - just how many trucks have caught on fire, plus how many have had actual oil sprays from line cracks? With what, 15k defenders in the US, it sound like most have had this issue (me included see below). I assume this design has been banned in the industry or are present day Defenders in the UK blowing up every day?

When my oil line burst I was entering the freeway, truck smoked like crazy and I pulled off. Oil every where and I has an 1/8 inch split and it shot out oil every where. Pure luck it did not ignite but I had only drive 3 miles from home so no hot manafold I guess. Oil lines were original as far as I can tell so 12+ ys old. I replaced all the pipes and the oil line but with non braided lines (I know, I know) but how long should the oil line last? 3,5,7 years?
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

I always am thinking the same thing about the 110's. How many of the 525 or so are left between fires and corrosion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
So - just how many trucks have caught on fire, plus how many have had actual oil sprays from line cracks? With what, 15k defenders in the US, it sound like most have had this issue (me included see below). I assume this design has been banned in the industry or are present day Defenders in the UK blowing up every day?

When my oil line burst I was entering the freeway, truck smoked like crazy and I pulled off. Oil every where and I has an 1/8 inch split and it shot out oil every where. Pure luck it did not ignite but I had only drive 3 miles from home so no hot manafold I guess. Oil lines were original as far as I can tell so 12+ ys old. I replaced all the pipes and the oil line but with non braided lines (I know, I know) but how long should the oil line last? 3,5,7 years?
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Still sounds like the guy who asks for the wife's phone number at the husband's funeral to me.
LOL. Agreed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
It is not like I internet found out where the guy lived and called him at home.

Yet...
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

As far as how many have had it, both Yeastie (before I owned her) and Bryson (after I owned her) had oil line failures. Neither burned thanks to smart owners (Mark put it out on yeastie as did Jason on Bryson with the onboard fire extinguishers). Chicky is shortly having her's replaced, but has an extinguisher until that happens. So 2/3 I have owned. I would be an interesting poll.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
I replaced all the pipes and the oil line but with non braided lines (I know, I know) but how long should the oil line last? 3,5,7 years?
We built a 110 Green Hi-Cap once. It went to CO and sat in a garge for 2 years. Then came back to ME and sat in a garage for a year. Total miles since rebuild and new oil cooler lines (factory style) was about 12,000. Truck was rarely used and always stored inside. It then got sold to a guy in NY and the first day he had it it had an oil line fire and burnt to the ground. The lines looked brand new visually, still had decals on them and everything and the truck had no other leaks.
Needless to say we never let any trucks go out of ECR with factory lines anymore. Even if the customer does not want to pay... I'll do them anyway at not charge if need be.

It is pure stupidity to be running the factory lines IMO. If you don't have any money, take the stupid cooler lines off.

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mine has had both an oil line fire and a transmission line fire (same problem - fine mist sprayed on the manifold) over the years. Thanks to this site, I knew what it was, and could react quickly and calmly in both cases and put it out before causing any damage. I keep 2 fire extinguishers in the truck

And that 2/1
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:47 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I don't think it a design flaw ( ha!!)- just Ron poking pin sized holes to slowly aquire all the NAS/mafia spec 90/110s. Minimal issues worldwide since the vast majority are diesels- and Ron resides Stateside. It always scares me to see guys fly and drive home a new 90 w/o getting the lines done. Even if you have to arrange to have the local dealer to do it- cheap by comparison. Then switch to ECR when home, or have them sent to said dealer...... As Mike said-"...just have it done." Or, convert to diesel :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat