another one bites the dust--110 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 19th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Doug,

Sorry to hear that. I will pray to the Rover God's for you. Time for me to get two fire extinguishers.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:52 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Glad you bought me that fire extinguisher!!! I think since it is a nice sized one it prolly has enough good karma in it to kill a similar fire?
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

That's a good one. Big, and it's haylon. My two replacements will be haylon. I only had to use maybe 1/4 of the 2nd one to snuff the final flames.

Girots Garage has some nice Haylons in the catalogue.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2004, 09:09 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sorry to hear Doug. That is scary shit. I would recommend you upgrade to a 2.8 powerstroke...

And someone happens to be selling one on LRX:

HS 2.8 TGV diesel Engine New in Crate
HS 2.8 TGV diesel engine complete new in crate , I bought with the intention of swapping to a diesel, but times have changed($5600.00)
Jeromy Landers.
Beaumont, Texas, United States of America - 21 February 2004

Everybody loves a diesel 110
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

That's the same guy who was trying to sell the 5.2 ECR interceptor engine. I wonder what happened? must have run of out cash for the swap.

$5,600? That's a tasty price for that engine. I don't think you can get a 4.6 for that.

EwS
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:26 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Actually, $5600 is a bit high for that engine. I would expect it to be around $4600. However the exchange rates these days aren't favroable so maybe he was schlepped.

You can definitely get a 4.6 for less. You just have to ask around. The 4.6 price has dropped quite a bit lately, and the 4.0 price is down right dirt cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How Nice would that 2.8 be though in that 110 of yours!!

I just picked up a 2.0 Perkins Prima for a series truck the other day. This should be fun also.
Old March 19th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I always thought the deisels were more expensive. The turnkey itself is around 4500? That's not bad at all. I was researching the 2.8 yesterday and the kit from MD Engineering looks very promising. Choices choices choices.

Randy, what type of series are you running? I am thinking of taking the plunge.

EwS
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Wow, what crappy luck.

Well, we all know we're on borrowed time with those lines. I just helped a friend of mine here in Vegas replace his high pressure power steering line yesterday. He popped the hood and turned the wheel back and forth so I could see which hose was leaking. There was a 1/4 inch hole rubbed into the line that oil was SPRAYING out onto the block and manifold.

It's just a matter of time before all Land Rovers catch fire because of those hoses.

BTW, he took it off, took it to the local Aeroquip dealer and had it rebuilt in 30 minutes with aeroquip fittings and line for $39.

Had it back in by lunch time.

Keep us updated on the engine fire saga Doug. Hopefully your quick thinking saved you some major work.

Yikes!
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Thanks all. Here's the latest:

Allstate will pay 100% of damage, providing of course that they don't total it, which is doubtful since the fire was controlled. Rent car too, but only $20 a day.

The AC/Heat box is melted pretty badly. Lots of exposed wiring and melted vacuum lines. Firewall paint is gone at the footwell.

One of the oil cooler lines exploded. Just ordered up a set of braided ones from Rover Accessories, on sale for $215 a set. Charles said that all Defenders, and some Discos and RRs have the same fault and can blow up at anytime, especially if the truck has seen a lot of hot weather driving. I know this might be overpaying, but I just don't have the time (especially now) to run around and get custom ones made..

I think the engine is okay, but have to make sure.

More as it develops.

DW
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Doug,

Saw your post on LRX forum. Sorry to hear about your truck. I would also agree with the gentleman on LRX not to open your hood during a fire. It does fuel the flames with more O2. I have put out hundreds of car fires in LA and we always attack from underneath until the bulk of the fire is out and then open the hood. If the fire reaches through the fire wall and burns the hood release I just use a pair of pliars or channel locks to grab the cable to release the hood. If that fails it is rotary saw time on the hood. Halon and dry chem extinguishers are great. Quick knock down, but do not eliminate the heat. In a perfect world on would knock down the bulk of the fire with halon or chem and follow it up quickly with a water extinguisher to cool the area. Thats in a perfect world. I know a pressurized water extinguisher is not practical but it is something to think about.
Will you still be doing the Nevada Trophy?
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:46 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Doug,

From reading your previous posts it sounds like you kept the fire to a minimum by planing ahead and acting quickly. Having two extinguishers is a great idea. I always consider the worst case senerio and act with that in mind. When my oil line burst on the I-5 my first concern was my son who was in a child seat up front.
I did not have an extinguisher, I had just bought the D90 a few days before and had not bought an extinguisher for it. That wont happen again. Pulled over, engine off, left the hood down. I was lucky that it did not have time to ignite, just had to buy new oil lines and clean the engine.

My big question is if this is such a common problem why does LRNA not recall these lines?
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:50 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
On a related note, Kez on the LRE forum posted this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/3524070.stm

Quote:
About 250,000 Land Rovers built at the company's Solihull plant have been recalled after defects were found.
Cheers,
Nick.
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Still plan on competing in NVTR, Kevin! How could I miss that?

Looks like the insurance will cover the cost of the repair, now I just need to get it organized and reliably completed.

Thanks for the advice -- didn't even think of the air flow caused by raising the hood or of cooling the area down after the fire. Life is a learning process...

Thanks for your thoughts all.

Doug
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:54 PM
castlerock4x4
Leo Hardy
1993 D 110

My d110 popped a oil cooler line last fall and I built a new one with a special high temp and pressure steel mesh core hose from a local hydraulic tracktor shop, much much more durable than the OEM crap... Used the original fittings which have dilated fitted ends, the most difficult part is finding the right shop that can crimp the hose end clamps... cost ~ $25.00 including the hose. One week after that, the other one let go too!. Rebuilt it also and since then no problems. The after market stuff and LR original cost is nothing short of a rape job.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:14 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, it is an astronomically high percentage of 110s. If you did not know of the issue and carry a fire extinguisher (only a rover owner could carry a fire extinguisher, EXPECT to use it, and still keep the vehicle LOL) yours would be another one on the list.

On a side note, I have never seen it on a D90, I am sure it has happened but I think the 110s have a different design.

Ron
Old March 21st, 2004, 01:01 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
s
Old March 21st, 2004, 01:01 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Mine was a 94 D90. Dont no if this had anything to do with it but I bought the D90 out of a tow yard and it had sat there for over a year and half without running. I am sure the lines were cracked and weathered from sitting in the yard that long but I am also inclined to think they are just cheap ass lines.
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:51 PM
397D110
DALE WENNAGEL
93 DEFENDER D110

D110 COOLING LINES

WELL, my high pressure oil line let go about a month ago about 100 feet from my driveway. It emptied itself in 1 seconds the oil pressure dropped and the oil sprayed over the cats. losts of smoke no fire, replaced the lines, also replaced the master cylinder the rear brake lines the rusted thru, the clutch cylinders and the lines. Been a real fun 3 months. did not know of this problem. I will tell my customers.
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Very bad on the 110s Dale, have seen it on some older RRCs but there is something about the way they were routed on the 110 that makes them particualrly susceptable.

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags