AncestryDNA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:20 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

AncestryDNA

Have any of you tried Ancestrydna? I've been thinking about it as a last ditch effort to try and find my biological father?
Do they share any information about potential matches or do they only tell you that there are potential matches? Any thoughts or insight would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:08 AM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

I did this, they give you your heritage and likely family matches that are in their system. I was given the information of my second cousin (on my fathers side). Also, she forwarded the family tree for my fathers side of the family.

good luck, its cool stuff...
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:49 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
As men generally don't change their surname during their life ( as women do in marriage ) they may be able to give you a set of likely surnames ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:01 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

But surely you need to know both sides of your family in order to know who's what.. Otherwise aren't you only entering 50% of the information.. Unless you know his surname and his family history..or at least part of it.. I would think the parameters may be too broad..
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
But surely you need to know both sides of your family in order to know who's what.. Otherwise aren't you only entering 50% of the information.. Unless you know his surname and his family history..or at least part of it.. I would think the parameters may be too broad..
Search is about narrowing down the infinite possibilities to a set of manageable ones. I mean if it comes back with smith or Patel it's not a lot of help ... But a less common name cross referenced with some others data could significantly help.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin View Post
Have any of you tried Ancestrydna? I've been thinking about it as a last ditch effort to try and find my biological father?
Do they share any information about potential matches or do they only tell you that there are potential matches? Any thoughts or insight would be much appreciated.
I have. It's useful in that it gives you your ethnicity breakdown, probable migration path of your ancestors and likely matches with others that have done it. For you, it would only be useful if your biological father (or someone else in his male line that you don't already know) also did the test. Do you know his name and where he possibly lived?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:35 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Keith, when you say likely matches with others who have done it, are they providing names? I know my mothers name but she doesn't remember my father so I would need a name to start searching from.
Tooling around Ancestry.com in general it didn't look like they provided any names for privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
I have. It's useful in that it gives you your ethnicity breakdown, probable migration path of your ancestors and likely matches with others that have done it. For you, it would only be useful if your biological father (or someone else in his male line that you don't already know) also did the test. Do you know his name and where he possibly lived?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin View Post
Keith, when you say likely matches with others who have done it, are they providing names? I know my mothers name but she doesn't remember my father so I would need a name to start searching from.
Tooling around Ancestry.com in general it didn't look like they provided any names for privacy.
They provide a list of usernames with links to their actual family trees where you can see names if those accounts are set to public view. If the account holders set them private, then all you can do is email them through Ancestry.com.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Thx Keith, sounds like it might be worth a try.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:47 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I gave my wife the kit for https://www.23andme.com/ as a gift earlier this year. The process was simple (basically split into a vial and send it off). She is adopted and we did it more so to find out her heritage as we were unsure and to see any of the genetic medical issues. It said that she was mostly British & Irish (which we assumed, but it was cool to see)... but it also gave her links to people DNA relatives... it had 'potential' 2nd cousins listed.. she doesn't have interest in finding her birth parents, but I could see the possibility with some reaching out & research.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I did 23andme. The only real surprise was my maternal haplotype. This side of the family considers themselves Lebanese and I heard we were from the Beqaa Valley but the statistics say otherwise. Our haplotype is found predominately in the Northern Iraq/Eastern Syria region, with another pocket in Yemen. This is interesting because Bashar Al-Assad looks very much like my grandfather did in his younger days, though my family is Maronite, not Alawite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat