Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
An Introduction

I've been lurking and learning about Defenders before I bought mine, but now that I've had my '94 for 2 months I hope I can contribute a bit. This site was great for learning about what to look for when shopping around for a Defender. I've wanted a D90 ever since they came out in 1994, but I had just started school and would have to wait until I graduated to buy mine. When I graduated in 1998 they were actually more expensive than in 1994 because they stopped importing them, as we all know. Not only that, but apparently, I only made enough money out of school to qualify for a $4,500 loan. The other car I had always wanted was an early Bronco and those could be found in my price range. That '75 Bronco was my daily driver for 2 years and later my 2nd car when I met my future wife. (It got stuck in 4 wheel drive in a parking garage on our way to see the Nutcracker one winter and the front end was hopping and squealing while I tried to park. She wasn't impressed and a new daily driver was found.) Thirteen years later I'm finally in a position to find my Defender. I sold my Bronco for what I paid for it and started my hunt.

I looked at 4 vehicles locally in person and hunted online as well. My first stop was at the local dealership so I could see a few in person. I knew it likely wasn't the best place to actually buy one, but at least I could drive a few and look at the problem areas to learn a bit about these cars. The first one I drove (Arles blue soft top) died on me at every stop light, had the LOUDEST transmission noises I had ever heard and I needed an umbrella inside it leaked so badly. The second one overheated on the drive around the block, and the third one had steering so loose I could barely keep it in my lane. I saw a few online I was interested in, but knew I would have to see them in person and drive them before I would commit to buying them.

Finally, there was one being sold by someone close enough to home to check out in person. Soft top 1994 Portofino Red. The add said he had done too much to it to list. That was true. I have the receipts and it took a long time to go through them. I bought it for a little more than the total of all the receipts and haven't had a lot to do to it yet. I'll post some pictures. Not because it's anything different, but because we all like to look at pictures, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	48571
The old Bronco

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	48572
"New" D90 with my new plates, new TD5 light surrounds and grill. I relocated the grill badge so it could be seen behind the Hellas. I'm use to hearing "Nice Jeep" from owning the Bronco. Maybe this will help. Probably not.

Name:	photo (7).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	48573
KBX vents kinda match the TD5 vents. The wheels were powder coated 5 years ago and still look great.

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	48574
The top is custom, and looks a lot like a Tickford with the alpine windows. The pull snaps work very well.

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	48575
I put in a new stereo and speakers. Great sound at a small price. Plenty loud. I actually find the Defender louder with the top on versus off. Either way, I can hear my music now.

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	48576
I'm replacing every accessible screw and bolt with stainless. The previous owner did all the usual exterior bolts already.

Name:	photo (8).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	48577
The tire carrier was re-powder coated along with the bolts. This was also done 5 years ago. So far so good.
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Welcome to the board. Have the oil cooler lines been replaced recently? If not, do it now.

Go Cougs.
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Welcome to the board. Have the oil cooler lines been replaced recently? If not, do it now.

Go Cougs.
It's on my list. Top of the list actually. The oil cooler lines appear to have been replaced, but I definitely want the steel braided lines.

Go Cougs!
I'll be over in your neck of the woods for Football games next fall, but with the F-150 and trailer.
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
WELCOME!! - I too am sorta new. I had a 94 for several years and life made me sell it a few back. I longed for another one and found a great 97 that I bought last month. I am in the midst of a TON of upgrades to it (mostly electronic to make it more daily driver) and some other stuff too.You are gonna love it!
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Congrats Leif. Nice looking truck. And since your in WA you don't need to worry about the sun turning it pink.

What part of WA? Bellingham, Seattle, Olympia? ThePDX ABFM always has a good turnout of Rovers.

-Jeff
Definitely no worry of too much sun in the PNW.
I'm on Vashon Island. I might be joining Pacific Coast Rover Club, but I need to find out why I can't shift the CDL before it goes too far off road. Linkage moves fine and the lever on the TC moves with it. I need to take the linkage off and see it I can move it further by hand. I think it's just a linkage adjustment. That was on my list for the weekend, but I'm doing taxes instead.

------ Follow up post added March 4th, 2012 01:16 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermalibu View Post
WELCOME!! - I too am sorta new. I had a 94 for several years and life made me sell it a few back. I longed for another one and found a great 97 that I bought last month. I am in the midst of a TON of upgrades to it (mostly electronic to make it more daily driver) and some other stuff too.You are gonna love it!
I've been watching your thread on the electronics. The toughest thing I find with installing electronics is routing wires. Luckily there seem to be plenty of existing holes in these Rovers.
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Usually the linkage gets gummed up/corroded from lack of use. Try to work it loose by moving it back and forth. My disco was the same way when I got it. Took about 2 minutes of working it back and forth for it to finally engage.

Vashon! Beautiful place to live. I grew up in PDX and lived in Seattle for a few yrs. I miss it.

- Jeff
I'll try the easy fix first and try to loosen it up. I was going to remove all the floor board posi-drive screws to replace them. So, the tunnel will be coming off anyways if the easy fix doesn't do it.
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
In that case grab your favorite penitrating oil (I use ATF) and splash the internal linkage as well as the collar that the the diff lock shaft protrudes from.

-Jeff
Sounds like a plan for next weekend.

BTW, ATF is also great for pouring into cylinders to free up pistons in a 1975 Bronco that has sat for 3 years.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Congrats and welcome aboard!
Nice looking D90!
Owning a Defender is like owning an old house. Expensive to repair, but have tons of character.
BTW, who made the top?

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Congrats and welcome aboard!
Nice looking D90!
Owning a Defender is like owning an old house. Expensive to repair, but have tons of character.
BTW, who made the top?

Cheers...
Thanks.

The previous owner had it worked on at British Northwest Land Rover. I assume they had it made for him. Only bad side is now I have holes from the old snaps and old belt rail to plug up. But the top fits great!
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I like the Bronco!!!
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigd View Post
I like the Bronco!!!
That Bronco was the easiest car to sell and the hardest to let go. I put a for sale sign on it and drove no more than a mile from my house, got waved down and it was sold. I was actually hoping it would take longer because I just got it up and running. I didn't know I would be in my dream car within 3 months.
Great thing is I see it every once in a while and the new owner is loving it.

I might build up a Bronco for my boys when they are old enough. They sure as hell aren't going to drive my D90.
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:59 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Congrats!! You will love having a rover.
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Congrats, nice looking truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermalibu View Post
My story is similar piper. Owned my previous 90 for 5 years and used it as my daily driver. Sold in 2008, and started looking for its replacement almost immediately. Bought another 94 D90 2 months ago, couldn't be happier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat