Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 21st, 2006, 01:42 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Am I crazy?

OK Yeah I know Yes I am crazy!

But, I was thinking about putting a Detroit in the front diff, the front diff isn't looking so good, it's leaking quite a bit and I REALLY love the Detroit I have in the rear diff right now. What I am wondering is just how suicidal will I have to be to drive it down the road with 2 lockers? I am thinking with 2 lockers it will maybe improve breaking as it will go in a straight line rather then swerve a bit. I know I know, I am going to eat through CVs, but I figure for most stuff i can drive with the center diff open to help preserve my CVs, you know they have lasted this long with the 35s and my lead foot, so what's the locker going to do but stress them even more? , all input is well come, on topic or not :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I think it is a bad idea. It will probably be very hard to steer and contol in anything but a straight line, especially in slippery conditions. I would opt for a Tru Track in the front if you have a Detroit in the rear.
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
I think it is a bad idea. It will probably be very hard to steer and contol in anything but a straight line, especially in slippery conditions. I would opt for a Tru Track in the front if you have a Detroit in the rear.
Kinda what I was thinking, although it is hard to steer when the roads are slick now with the detroit in the back as it tends to plow forward unless i lock the center diff, then it helps a little. I bet it will also wear the tires weird too.

Has anyone driven with 2 lockers before?

Follow-up Post:

OK, since I am a bit odd anyway, the real question is, am I going to kill myself trying to keep it on the road? Or will I just be suffering with more poor handling? Which really doesn't bother me anyway lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2006, 03:38 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I think it would be impossible to pull into a parking space. Probably kill your power steering too. Bill at GBR says don't do it. You know the TT will work fine.
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

TT up front.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:48 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yeah but a TT isn't much more then an open diff, specialy when you are lifting tires. I think i need to lurk over to pirate to see if anyone is driving around any locked SWB AWD vehicles on the street, although highly unlikely.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:13 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Why not get a front ARB? Your going to spend the money anyway fixing all the other parts your going to break plus the body damage from the sidehill crabbing.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
Why not get a front ARB? Your going to spend the money anyway fixing all the other parts your going to break plus the body damage from the sidehill crabbing.
Good point, lol well I don't fix much of the body damage other then pounding out some of the bigger dents, and I am not the biggest fan of ARb lockers, I just don't like having to rely on electrical stuff in a Rover call me crazy. But a Detriot is a good bit cheaper then an ARB.

My thought was pick up a cheapish used third with a detriot installed, swap out the front diff, if I like it I keep it, if I don't like it I can always swap back to the open diff.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

I run ARBS front and rear. In the mud the front sucks to have locked up if you are on a side hill or making a trun. I run the rear locked most of the time and only use the front when i really have to. The detroit might be the cheap way, but you proble will like the open diff much better.
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:38 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

What gears are you running Mike..

First I wouldn't do a detroit in the front as it the halfshafts and your CV's will disintgrate before you can try to pull into any parking spot... Even the 2522 will break and such the Detroit will break when the axle/cv does..

Now for the real solution... Well you guys probably know where I stand, but think about it when was the last time you saw a Rover driving down the street make a turn at an intersection with the front locker and diff loc engaged and not break anything?

Toyota parts...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
What gears are you running Mike..

First I wouldn't do a detroit in the front as it the halfshafts and your CV's will disintgrate before you can try to pull into any parking spot... Even the 2522 will break and such the Detroit will break when the axle/cv does..

Now for the real solution... Well you guys probably know where I stand, but think about it when was the last time you saw a Rover driving down the street make a turn at an intersection with the front locker and diff loc engaged and not break anything?

Toyota parts...
lol, well then i guess the front locker will have to wait for a better front axle.
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Actually, Mike, you just MIGHT kill yourself with a detroit in the front. When people say your steering will suffer, they mean it. Especially on things like loose sand, snow, wet leaves..... you know, typical New England roads between August and May.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

ARB is your answer. Youdon't need to run the elec. Use air comp & air switches! I am doing that in the D1 as we speak. Air comp is the only elec.
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:53 PM
Monkeyboy

There's a Detroit in the back and a TT in the front of my Disco .... there's a reason that the 109 is getting an ARB in the front to go with its Detroit ..... too much excitement in the winter!

btw, the TT has always worked great off road, I don't get the comments regards its functionality w/ a wheel lifted?

KAA
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Mike,

I know Matt Browne has set up trucks with the ARB run off a small (2LB)CO2 tank, it lasts forever since you need so little to acutate them. You could also get an engine driven compressor.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

My suggestion would be to go with the ARB in the front... Being selectable, in my opinion, gives you the best of both worlds. You can try an obstical with the performance of the truck and driving ability, and if that doesn't work, then lock it up. I think it takes some of the fun out of off roading if you are locked all the time.

I have ARB's front and rear, so I am sure I am a bit biased.

BTW, I think someone is selling a set of lockers in the FS section, I think a Detroit and a TT, with 3.54 gears.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well everyone may like their ARBs, but I am still not too keen on them. I guess i just like things plain simple and mechanical! The TT may be the way to go but I think I'll hold off until the front end is a bit more beefed up.

I'll just save up for a better front end all together.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There ya go mike, you can always save up for a Dynatrac pro-Rock 60 and one of the other lockable diff's out there such as the Ox or the Detroit E-locker.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Come on Mike just do it!
Just remember anytime you want to turn, let off the gas!

If you really want a detroit up front you can convert your tcase to part time.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I think TT is to much for the front CV's. I think many premature CV failures can be atributed to the TT.

ARB is the ticket.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat