Alternative power train from South Africa - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:40 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I have one of the adapters from the BMW to the R380 on it's way over.
A friend has a BMW repair shop with the M54 and M52 engines lying around so wanted to see if the P38 R380 adapter will work with these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
Only issues I can see on LHD are the intake on the m52 is wide and may interfere withthe brake booster. My guess is it certainly will.
Thought the same thing. It would be possible to use remote Booster(s) to keep power brakes which are paramount.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I have one of the adapters from the BMW to the R380 on it's way over.
A friend has a BMW repair shop with the M54 and M52 engines lying around so wanted to see if the P38 R380 adapter will work with these.

Thought the same thing. It would be possible to use remote Booster(s) to keep power brakes which are paramount.
Nice. Looks like we may have started something.
Old June 13th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You might prefer the 2.3 i4 Ecoboost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
You might prefer the 2.3 i4 Ecoboost.
"Output: More than 305 horsepower, more than
300 lb.-ft. of torque"

Amazing!

http://www.saac-mcr.com/main/2014/20..._Factsheet.pdf
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
In South Africa, I've been told the 2.8i Defenders are a bit of a legend. And still fairly sought after. In my research I've found it's fairly common to find 2.8i Defenders with 200k to 300k km's on them and they're still using the original engine. Now that is saying something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:24 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Would it work easier in a Disco?
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:52 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
In South Africa, I've been told the 2.8i Defenders are a bit of a legend. And still fairly sought after. In my research I've found it's fairly common to find 2.8i Defenders with 200k to 300k km's on them and they're still using the original engine. Now that is saying something.
300KM is only 180K miles. In OM617 terms this is barely broken in when the engine will run well over a million miles... but not terrible for some petrol engines.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 14th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I've read very good things about the Defender 2.8i. Someone who owns one on the LandyOnline forum says it has good power and claims it "was the best Defender ever built!" -> http://www.landyonline.co.za/landyfo...php?f=5&t=1844. The 3.0L M54 I'm putting in mine is more powerful than the 2.8L M52 (225 hp @ 5900 rpm & 221 lb·ft of torque @ 3500 rpm vs. 190 hp @ 5500 rpm & 210 lb·ft of torque @ 3500 rpm.) The Rover 3.9L V8 is rated at 182 hp @ 4750 rpm & 232 lb·ft of torque @ 3100 rpm. If we look at this graph from BMW that compares the power of the M54 to the M52, we can see that the M54 acheives about 195-200 hp at the V8's peak at 4750 rpms. So discounting the V8's slight torque advantage, it's a more powerful engine. Plus it's much more efficient, very smooth, and probably weighs less (375 lbs vs ~440lbs?). Better all around IMO. Here's a Land Rover 3.9L V8 power graph: Engine weight data: BMW M54: http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/engines/m54.htm Rover V8: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...Marquis+%2BRex

Don't get me wrong... I love Beemer engines... I've had several bikes and cars... Loved my 135i convertible

But... 4x4s generally want low end torque... The m54 is a different engine than the 2.8 that they originally used...
Old June 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I had heard that the LHD wasn't possible due to some configuration show-stopper, so I'd be curious to hear about a real world experience for sure.

Old June 14th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
As you can see the m52b28 (version that came in defender) was a very very different engine than the m54.

No torque at all until you are over 3000 and you really want it around 1500-2000... Really a smidge lower than that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3392067926.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	96784
Old June 14th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
300KM is only 180K miles. In OM617 terms this is barely broken in when the engine will run well over a million miles... but not terrible for some petrol engines.
Robert,

Your not comparing apples to apples...or even stock drivetrains for that matter! I mean, yes, it's only 180k miles......on a stock Land Rover drivetrain.....in Africa.....

Hang on a sec....now that I think about it, that actually is fairly impressive for a petrol engine that's stock and only had to have its oil changed......and nothing else.

The "mortality" rate of the Rover V8 has always been quite high, and those that do make it over 100k miles usually haven't gotten there without having a fair amount of work done to them in order to keep them "alive".

By all accounts, the BMW 2.8i is far superior in longevity compared to the stock power-train found in NAS Defenders. I guess what I'm trying to say is; if I were given a choice between the two petrol motors to drive across country (or across the African continent) in, I'd hands down take the Bimmer 2.8i over the Rover V8.

That said, I do get your point though.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
As you can see the m52b28 (version that came in defender) was a very very different engine than the m54.

No torque at all until you are over 3000 and you really want it around 1500-2000... Really a smidge lower than that...
Yeah, the M52b28 was kinda weak sauce. I agree with you that it wasn't the best choice for a truck. The M54b30 has way more low end power. BMW developed it for the X5. BMW states, "The increase in displacement allows the engine to kit the X5 All Roads vehicles while still meeting the demands for power and performance." While the X5 isn't exactly a truck, if it works out well for that then it'll probably be fine for a Defender 90.
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I'm sure it will kick ass... I can't wait to see it in there.... I can imagine that the electronics are going to be fun... Post pics!
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Here's some history on the Defender 2.8i:

"Interestingly, when the development of the 2.8 went ahead, LR sent out NAS Defenders for the prototype builds, as it was thought this engine would be popular in USA too. Other items, like all all the main reasons Defenders aren't sold there now, stopped that idea though and the production versions are all from the normal SA spec CKD vehicles built at the LR factory in Rosslyn." From: http://www.landroveraddict.com/forum...threadID=60760

This is true from what I can tell, as the Defender 2.8i has a NAS chassis based on the parts diagrams. The same guy who posted that also refers to a "3.2 version." After a little more digging I found out that was a racing Defender built by a guy named Cliff Barker. It would have had a S50b32 out of a Euro E36 M3. Here's a picture of it:

Old July 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I'm sure it will kick ass... I can't wait to see it in there.... I can imagine that the electronics are going to be fun... Post pics!
I finally made a build thread here.

Link: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=54835

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat