Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Alloy rims - wish list

Guys,

I'm doing some market research for a client of mine who makes custom alloy rims.

He's trying to decide if there's enough of a demand to justify the manufacture of several sizes of alloy rims for the LR market.

Specifically for those models that share the same bolt pattern (series, Defender, RRC, Disco1).

He's thinking of launching with an initial offering of 3 different rim sizes, with at least one of them being beadlocked.

If you have some suggestions or ideas for sizes, widths and backspacing, let's hear them. Here's your chance to be in on the ground floor of design and decision making.

If we don't ask for it don't bitch when we don't get it.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:15 AM
tbmcneill

isn't Walker Evans already doing that???
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:35 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

How about something that looks like the American Racing Outlaw I? I love the look of those rims, the solid version. I'd be happy with just a 15x10" beadlock.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:52 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

FWIW, a bunch of us like standard type (not bigfoot/jeep/hummer fat type) steel wheels. Alloys break up and don't look cool. Plus they all come with alloys, but we replace them with steelies and stick the alloys in the garage. See the alloys in my pic there? Yep, in the garage.

He might be better served to address the Freelander, New RR, Disco II and III, and Range Stormer markets...
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

I'm not sure Walker is doing a full-blown Rover specific alloy rim. My client is already making alloys for several other makes of vehicle and is looking at the LR market.

Wicks, alloys don't have to break up if they're made correctly. You won't find many steel wheels on the SCORE desert racers and their rims are exposed to much harsher conditions than ours ever will be.

Yeah, I have steelies too, and really like them (Wolf wheels on the CrewCab), but if a heavy duty alloy was made that looked nice I'd run them instead. I like the idea of less unsprung weight.

Also, with the beadlocks the alloy rims really shine. I have a set of steelie beadlocks and although beefy, they are heavy.

If what you're wanting is the cool look of the steelies then the alloys aren't for you.

I am not trying to convince you that alloys are superior, that's not my job. If you don't see any advantage to running alloy wheels, that's fine. It's your choice.

All I am looking for are people who wish that they had a wider variety of alloy wheels to choose from and what sizes/specs they wish they had to choose from.

The later model LR's have a plethora of aftermarket rims to choose from, the earlier coil-sprung trucks do not.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

Why would you not support this?

I think it is weird that people are not supporting a little research that might provide some more options for our hobby in the wheel department. Why wouldn't you want options? Especially, lighter options?

I personally would love to see 15 x 8, 15 x 9, 16 x 8, 16 x 9, and a 17 thrown in for good measure to get us some more otpions for tires. I like 3.75-4" backspacing.

Why shoot this opportunity down? Mike isn't asking you to make a commitment to buying them.

Chris Kearney

CB Kearney Fine Woodworking
250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I know this will get me in trouble with Mr. Walker but.....

How about some thing in the 16" range that will hold a 14.5" wide tire and still allow you to have a decent turning radius (not sure on the backspacing is what I'm tring to say). I don't care about looks as it will be dirty most of the time anyway. Right now my black rims look white from all the salt

Thanks for askin
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Michael, I didn't connect that it was you posting the request. I guess I assumed it would be an outsider because there isn't a big enough market in our space to serve a wheel manufacturer. I think that if it were a second priority to the mainline customers (not Defender) that might be ok.

Chris - cuz more people going BK trying to make a living in the LR world doesn't help our image either - or does it?! Hmmm...
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hmm.. the alloy bead-locks sound real interesting.

I am split. I like some of the LR alloy designs but I was killing my alloys wheeling. Chunks missing and even bent one somehow which is why I went to steels. While LR steels are heavier duty, I never liked the looks of them which is why I went with the GCR/Amer Racing ones. I really am not up on the sizes, tech, backspacing and what not, but I do know it would be nice to have options in the 2 most popular sizes in the 16x7 & 15x for us lesser modified people not running the monster tires.

Sorry I'm not more technical. Any design ideas on what he is looking to produce?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

How is it exactly that anyone interested in making more products for us to choose from is a bad thing? Come on! Mike, I could really use a 15x9 3in backspacing with dual beadlocks.

Quote:
Chris - cuz more people going BK trying to make a living in the LR world doesn't help our image either - or does it?! Hmmm...
Deserved or not, our image is a bunch of Rich a**holes who will spend money on anything sparkley and then have the dealer bolt it on for us. I don't think that a wheel manufacteror offering alloy wheels is going to hurt that.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Design is his gig. He already has a few nice looking designs in CAD that he's done for other vehicles. I would ASSume that he'd somehow translate what he's already done and knows works into the LR bolt pattern.

I could be wrong, but if it were me sticking my neck out I'd take it one baby step at a time.

There's a lot of liability in producing rims, I'm just glad that he's even entertaining the idea.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

What does BK mean?

I am fairly ignorant of the online lingo, so what does does BK mean?

Quote:

CB Kearney Fine Woodworking
250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Mike if i had a choice id want a 15 x9 , 15x10 so I could buy the more reasonably pricied 15" tires.
there seems to be more deals on 15" tires than 16"and a wider range of sizes

A rim that had the ability to have bead locks added and more of a deep dish effect so when im on the rocks the rims dont get as banged up .

I now need 3 stock alloys = : )
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:50 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Michael, how about something in the 16x7, 16x8, 15x7, and 15x8 with about 4 to 4 1/4" backspace, for those of us who are less concerned about the fasion statements centered in the Torrance area. Function choices sometimes have to be made over fasion.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:51 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Well.. thats just a smart move doing it in little steps in new waters especially in the Rover market. Meaning its not like the Jeep market where you make a run of something, you have much better odds on selling the inventory because of the sheer number of owners.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Talking How about the ones that don't stop spinning?

Kidding aside,

I am a steelie guy myself, I would trade my Tornado alloys with 110 steel rims in a heartbeat. But maybe if he can improve upon the design of the LR steelies, meaning wider bead seat, beadlock steelies perhaps? He might have some going on with those and the purists won't get offended. Just my 02 cents...

Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you want steel beadlocks, they can be had at:

High-Impact

or

MRT - Rockcrawler
Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

.02 cents are appreciated.

I think he's sticking with alloys. The steelie market seems to be pretty well handled.

Mucho easier to get custom steel wheels made.

If the alloy beadlocks come to fruition, I'll have some 15 inch steel beadlocks for sale.

M
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
for you guys that have run bead locks, how are they when running on the street????? do they balance ok? I love the look and the strength when airing down but how about on the 2 hour ride home from the offroad spot or back and forth to work? Are they worth it? are they a headache? I am interested .

Randy
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:14 AM
krisp
Kris Pelan
1995 D90 st

I run Trailready beadlocks and 37" boggers so they don't balance worth a crap but with my 35" MTR's they balanced perfect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
alloy, rims