Old December 8th, 2014, 02:22 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Yea, who's truck was that?

-Jeff
Maybe Jason's? He's got a 69 IIA listed in his sig..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2014, 02:33 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I'm not sure I'd have much confidence in their products after seeing how cobbled together Super Heep looks.
http://www.jantz4x4.com/jantz.php
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:56 PM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
I'm not sure I'd have much confidence in their products after seeing how cobbled together Super Heep looks.
^^ Funny. I just checked out their web site. Check out some of their welds under the Custom Exhaust tab. No wonder his front bumper broke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd have much confidence in their products after seeing how cobbled together Super Heep looks. http://www.jantz4x4.com/jantz.php
I cringe every time they show shots of super jeep and seeing the welds on that thing. The dudes motto is just keep welding more shit on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:40 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Just watched the DVRd episode. That Gigglepin twin motor winch is crazy. Loved the tea segment. As much as I can't stand the Leigh Brothers, at least they seam like genuine guys.
Old December 10th, 2014, 04:13 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
The Leigh bros. are very genuine. This was a big deal for them and I was very much motivated by them and their willingness to just keep going. Brent (with the long hair) is very well read and highly articulate...Scott is a quiet family man.

I can't comment on the Series footage.

'69 Series lla
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:37 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Ok. I'm sorry but am I the only one who can't stand this show. I gave it two episodes but the forced drama and screaming is just absolutely ridiculous. This would be a great show if they just showed more comradery, natural beauty and genuine troubles. Think camel trophy.

And yea I lost all respect for any authenticism with that leaf sprung defender shot

This is just another "2 guys and a jeep". Horrible.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:54 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Fail:

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:57 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Fail:
I love their bumper. Looks like it's made of electrical conduit.
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Ok. I'm sorry but am I the only one who can't stand this show. I gave it two episodes but the forced drama and screaming is just absolutely ridiculous. This would be a great show if they just showed more comradery, natural beauty and genuine troubles. Think camel trophy.

And yea I lost all respect for any authenticism with that leaf sprung defender shot

I didn't even make it through the first episode.
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
My favorite character so far is the bulldog.
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:44 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yep.. Sorry Jason, I love ya man but farrrrrrkkk, like someone said, reminiscent of ..one car too far....(that was a shitty show that unfortunately had one talented guy (the Brit) and another guy who was an absolute wanker idiot... The fat Asian guy..). And I had some friends that were part of the production and support crew of that also and all they do is shake their heads when it asked them...WTF.. Severe inconsistencies and forced drama bullshit makes it hard to take "seriously". scenery is nice though, I'd rather be driving it than watching it..lol.. But congrats on making the show, we know you had very little (if any) input on the way they put it together and dramatized it..it's a shame that studies have supposedly shown that this is what people want to watch and believe.. Just another in the line of "reality" productions that seem so popular nowadays..
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:53 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's the drama that sells...I find it entertaining regardless (as does the 5-year-old). If I wanted camaraderie and wheeling I'd go....well, wheeling.

It is funny though, we were watching episode #2 when Rover-1 breaks the drive-shaft on the slope...and when the FJ55 goes zooming around him, the 5-year-old looks over to me and says "why didn't they stop to help them?". I laughed my ass off, and then explained to him this is not 'normal' wheeling where you don't leave a man behind, it's a race with a big prize at the end....he still didn't get it (which is good I suppose, I guess he's learned some good lessons wheeling behind Galpin & Huff : ).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 10th, 2014, 09:56 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Yep.. Sorry Jason, I love ya man but farrrrrrkkk, like someone said, reminiscent of ..one car too far....(that was a shitty show that unfortunately had one talented guy (the Brit) and another guy who was an absolute wanker idiot... The fat Asian guy..). And I had some friends that were part of the production and support crew of that also and all they do is shake their heads when it asked them...WTF.. Severe inconsistencies and forced drama bullshit makes it hard to take "seriously". scenery is nice though, I'd rather be driving it than watching it..lol.. But congrats on making the show, we know you had very little (if any) input on the way they put it together and dramatized it..it's a shame that studies have supposedly shown that this is what people want to watch and believe.. Just another in the line of "reality" productions that seem so popular nowadays..
As a TV person I know the popularity of unscripted content is less driven by public desire than corporate bottom line. These shows are cheap to make. You need a producer, a few shooters, and an editor.
The production company gets something like 90-150K per episode from A+E Networks, so they need to keep their overhead low. If they can fill 5 minutes with people yelling at each other, winning!
The idea is to drive your eyes to the online presence where they can more easily collect data about you. That allows their advertisers to target the advertising you see that is embedded in the "candy" on the site.
It's all about selling soap, y'know.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
It's the drama that sells...I find it entertaining regardless (as does the 5-year-old). If I wanted camaraderie and wheeling I'd go....well, wheeling.

This!

I am DVRing the whole season. I definitely wouldn't be watching it if it wasn't for Jason and the Landy.
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:09 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post

Withya…
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

It is funny though, we were watching episode #2 when Rover-1 breaks the drive-shaft on the slope...and when the FJ55 goes zooming around him, the 4-year-old looks over to me and says "why didn't they stop to help them?". I laughed my ass off, and then explained to him this is not 'normal' wheeling where you don't leave a man behind, it's a race with a big prize at the end....he still didn't get it (which is good I suppose, I guess he's learned some good lessons wheeling behind Galpin & Huff : ).
Yeah if there wasn't $100k on the line I bet there'd be quite a bit more camaraderie. Either way I don't see the episodes as all that drama-filled. The guys are likely traversing quite a few miles per day and if the show just focused on them all making it through every single obstacle with ease, without any of them breaking anything or under some sort of stress, and without there being some semblance of fun among them I'd have probably lost interest within the first few minutes.

Oh, and don't forget the bulldog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	108370  
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
One of my most favorite college English proffessors used to tell me "It's quite aceptable to read CRAP! As long as you realize it's CRAP!" I'm quite sure this is not the only show historians, and geologists, etc. take issue with on the History Channel...
Old December 10th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I agree with forced drama and yelling etc... I really was struck by that in the first episode but found it less annoying in the second one. I still love the show. I kind of equate in a way to canned laughter on sitcoms. I start to tune it out at some point. What I don't care for is the forced drama of the wheeling. I am sure a ton of the obstacles are extreme but some are not and they make it appear it is a big deal. But in the end it most likely is a big deal to most viewers and they don't know any better. Drama sells and I can deal with that as long as Team Rover does not act like the mullet guy! So far so good.

Part of me actually likes the improper footage at times like the series truck shot as it is kinda fun to spot the problems. I am gonna faithfully watch till the end.
Old December 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I'm surprised team Rover-1 hasn't suffered the all-too-common catastrophic belt-loop failure by catching one on the door catch yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat