Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I actually sleeved and tig-welded my tie rod with 1.5" x .25" thick 4130 Chromoly tubing. Just for fun, I tried jacking up the center of the tie rod with a hydraulic to see if it would lift the truck, and...

no luck. The jack goes up, the tie rod bends, the truck does not lift. Even 1.5" x .25" thick 4130 Chromoly tubing will bend with the truck's weight.
I bent a RoverTracks one and didn't remember even hitting anything. I replaced it with another RoverTracks but straight so I could more easily recognize the bend.

The ECR is different. I wonder how hard it would be to duplicate?

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/173.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17310.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	107944  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Great show for sure. I loved it. I could do without some of the drama added for effect like Super Jeeps entire front end could come loose if he did not fix that crappy tube holding the high lift but other than stuff like that it is great. Love how the Rover brought some class to the event.

I find the best track rod protection is still the old school SG track rod protector. Zero chance of ever bending it with that piece of kit.

Can't wait for Sunday!

Funny as Don just posted at the same time I did a photo of said track rod protector. That is the way to go in my opinion.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:29 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Well if guys were going to buy a simple piece of critical armor that would be it, especially if it means they don't have to change out tie rods and the like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
Great show for sure. I loved it. I could do without some of the drama added for effect like Super Jeeps entire front end could come loose if he did not fix that crappy tube holding the high lift but other than stuff like that it is great. Love how the Rover brought some class to the event.

I find the best track rod protection is still the old school SG track rod protector. Zero chance of ever bending it with that piece of kit.

Can't wait for Sunday!

Funny as Don just posted at the same time I did a photo of said track rod protector. That is the way to go in my opinion.
SG made one too? I would love to see where it attaches. It doesn't look that tough to make but I could be missing a thing or 2.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
SG made one too? I would love to see where it attaches. It doesn't look that tough to make but I could be missing a thing or 2.
I had one on a disco. It is basically the part of the three link without the mounts for the links. All it is is a piece of rectangular tubing and brackets to the bottom of the diff and to the radius arm mounts (if memory serves, maybe it was something else it mounted to).

Only catch was that it was hard to set up so that the rod did not rub on full lock. I eventually got it set up, but it took until the third try. In fairness, I was running small tires and had the steering stops turned all the way in.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:50 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/3link.html

http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/shop/i...rod-guard.html
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:30 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I have the Southdown guard on mine and it completely protects the steering link as well as the diff... But as someone mentioned, it acts as a plow..in the snow I found that it would sit on the snow and provide enough support of the vehicle that it let my wheels just sit there spinning.. The same with the rest of the underbody protection.. Acted like a complete platform..
Old December 4th, 2014, 01:58 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Thanks for the support. The scrutiny of the Land Rover world is a scary thing to be under and I appreciate the opportunity to possibly inspire and entertain.

As their is a NDA in place I cannot comment as freely as I wish. There is a ton of behind the scenes "secrets" that I would love to share but it would probably take away from the TV show experience. As time goes on I'm sure more of the details will be available. There is still 7 episodes left and much drama, stucks, and breakage to come.

'69 Series lla
Old December 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Watched it last night, lots of fun! Great group of individuals to watch for sure. I hope the bros from AK can fix their overheating issue and get competitive. Wouldnt want to lose their personalites from the mix.

Jason all I can say is Keep Calm and Rover on.

cant wait until Sunday

Go ROVER-1! Go Rover Diesel!

~Steve
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM
CamelTM
Trevor
1998 Camel Trophy Defender 110 CT25

Registry
Unfortunately I don't think this show is going to do the offroad community much good. Watching the first episode the message I got from it was that the only ones actually concerned about the footprint they left was the Rover 1 team. The rest, I believe in every case (4 runner team with the woman driver may be the exception), outright said they didn't give a crap about damage they may have caused.

Whether or not that is truly how they feel, one cannot say. But that is certainly the message that is conveyed after all the editing for TV. Controversy sells I guess. And the fact of the matter is there is A LOT of people out there that do wheel without a concern of what sort of damage they do, so it certainly isn't hiding the truth. This just shows them as being in the majority, which doesn't help.
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Mine's on the Disco too. It attaches to the sway bar mounts and (I think) to the bottom of the diff housing.

I bent the tie rod once on a submerged rock and that was once too often for me.

Just rectangular tube with a bracket on each end that's slid on to the tube 3/8" or so and welded in place - both sides...now that I've said that, maybe it doesn't attach in the middle too???
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelTM View Post
Whether or not that is truly how they feel, one cannot say. But that is certainly the message that is conveyed after all the editing for TV. Controversy sells I guess.

Totally agree. Without the opportunity to see what he's talking about, I can't form an opinion about the merits of the "tree rant". But if only one person in the entire group was upset about it, then perhaps it was an over reaction.

It would be nice to have an explanation at the beginning to let viewers know that this was filmed in compliance with all USFS or BLM rules and regulations, and that the participants are required to stay on established routes. I don't think that would hurt the drama factor much.

I'll keep watching though. They came up with an interesting assortment of participants. It was good to note the absence of the ubiquitous JKUs and FJ Cruisers.
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:32 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
It would be nice to have an explanation at the beginning to let viewers know that this was filmed in compliance with all USFS or BLM rules and regulations, and that the participants are required to stay on established routes. I don't think that would hurt the drama factor much.
This, big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think the biggest issue is perception. The amount and size of trees harmed is inconsequential with regard to the environment and what is lost every year due to storms etc, and that it is actually overgrowth. But the real damage is the 'feeling' it creates for the clueless viewers who will think that the earth has been raped.

-Jeff
Agreed here too. From watching the show we're talking about maybe a half dozen small trees that were probably already dead, and if they weren't dead they still needed to be cleared from what was an already established route. Its called "trail maintenance".
I don't think anybody should get their panties in a bunch, especially considering the Axe Men show on the same network where you basically have a bunch on morons with saws clear cutting forests. But to come to that understanding requires some degree of rational thinking, which seems to be hard to come by these days. Hopefully Alaska and the offroading community doesn't suffer from the knee jerk reactions of ill informed people.
Old December 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think the biggest issue is perception. The amount and size of trees harmed is inconsequential with regard to the environment and what is lost every year due to storms etc, and that it is actually overgrowth. But the real damage is the 'feeling' it creates for the clueless viewers who will think that the earth has been raped.

-Jeff
X2...it's the "Drama" factor...I have never seen anyone in real life rip out like that.
Old December 4th, 2014, 11:19 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I have this set to record on my DVR tonight at 11pm right after Peter Pan live.
Old December 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well Shayne being that you are from Florida we don't expect you to know how to drive in the snow. Or at all for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I found that it would sit on the snow and provide enough support of the vehicle that it let my wheels just sit there spinning..
------ Follow up post added December 4th, 2014 11:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Hopefully Alaska and the offroading community doesn't suffer from the knee jerk reactions of ill informed people.
Don't get your hopes up. Knee jerkers aren't known for having sudden fits of common sense.
Old December 4th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I'm watching "It's a Flintstone XMas" first...it's a tradition...
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
I bent a RoverTracks one and didn't remember even hitting anything. I replaced it with another RoverTracks but straight so I could more easily recognize the bend.

The ECR is different. I wonder how hard it would be to duplicate?

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/173.html
Terrafirma makes something similar. Lucky8 sells it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 4th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
Terrafirma makes something similar. Lucky8 sells it.
http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=4108

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

has anyone tried it? looks crumpley! why not just HD your tie rods...the ECR thing looks better...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat