Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 1st, 2014, 11:44 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-1 View Post
To make it believable and something everyone will be excited about. Money thrown at a rig and upgraded with all the latest and greatest may end up to be too boring to watch drive around. Plenty of rigs out there that would have blown through these trails with no problem. It's TV ---that's not the point---entertainment is.
You need a steering guard. Is it too late? Ha. Great show, fun to watch. My wife said you have the best looking truck. Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2014, 12:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's very entertaining so I'll try suspend my disbelief as best I can. I will say that the first show gave me the impression of a general lack of vehicle preparedness for the challenge though.

I am looking forward to hearing more about behind the scenes etc.

Guys with a mullet get it done! Sans seatbelts even. Sometimes. Lol
Old December 1st, 2014, 01:35 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
It's very entertaining so I'll try suspend my disbelief as best I can. I will say that the first show gave me the impression of a general lack of vehicle preparedness for the challenge though.

I am looking forward to hearing more about behind the scenes etc.

Guys with a mullet get it done! Sans seatbelts even. Sometimes. Lol
X3 (or maybe 4) for the mullet guy and also couldn't believe the brothers 4Runner was overheating within a few hours of starting the race...seems like the middle of Alaska is a bad place to be stranded and minimum prep would have been good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2014, 01:51 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

You should wrap that mullet around your bent steering rod.
Old December 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Thanks Jason! It was entertaining for sure. It had me yelling at my TV a few times and my wife rolling her eyes at me, LOL.
I wish they would have showed you sleeving the track rod. That was even one of the things I said that elicited an eye roll. Haha.
You're doing a great job so far, I'll be watching next Sunday for sure.
And at least we're not represented by "Super Jeep"! That thing is one ugly cobbled together POS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-1 View Post
Yes, Stock rod. I built this rig over a small time frame with very limited funds. There were upgrades that I just could not afford or ran out of time and just had to deal with stock. I was initially building it as a scouting rig for the show to pre-run the trails. Just a couple of weeks out did I get the nod to be a team and put everything I had into it. I slept a few nights on the shop floor and begged, borrowed, and stole to make sure I had enough to be competitive. The cage was installed just a few days before filming began, not to mention I had driven it only about 150 miles prior to filming.

The rod was sleeved with a pipe and Hi-Lift handle on the way to the next trail.

As for the trees.. there is an editing process involved in TV that can and does leave out much of what happened. I voiced my opinions about what I was seeing and will hold strong to that. Those who were there in "reality" know my concerns and how it affected me.

------ Follow up post added December 1st, 2014 12:41 AM ------

The RRC is mine as well. That was used in my initial interviews with the production company but will not be in the show because I opted to buy a D90. It can be seen on FB@ Team Rover1. As well as the D90. I'll start a build thread on here soon and try to tell a good story about the D90. There is a ton more to come in the show. Rover owners and enthusiasts will undoubtedly be experiencing a whole range of emotions over the course of the show.
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:52 PM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
You need a steering guard. Is it too late? Ha. Great show, fun to watch. My wife said you have the best looking truck. Congrats.
I was wisely steered clear of a steering guard because the mud and rocks were coming and that would be one more part hanging down that would have to be drug through it. Twin motor winches are wicked, but I wanted every possible advantage.

I had a very good idea that the rod would bend, however, was quite shocked it happened on day 1. I was prepared to deal with it and "pressed-on-regardless".

Tell your wife I say thanks!!

'69 Series lla
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Thanks Jason, very cool show... Don't spoil it, but we all hope you win!

Old December 1st, 2014, 04:38 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I loved the show and even got my wife to watch. I am also glad you brought up the Tread Lightly aspect with the trees. As I was watching the show I was thinking I hope they reign this in a bit or all the environmentalist will have something to protest the show about.
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:59 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The dude with the mullet is priceless
"Guys with mullets get it done"!
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
"Guys with mullets get it done"!
Right! there is a wee bit more drama than I expected...it's like Expo with Shayne...and bee drinkin!
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:46 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
This show is fantastic!

1. Where on TV can you see a RHD Defender, FJ55, and a bunch of other rigs race against each other through Alaska?
2. Those people seem exactly like the kind of people I have encountered while wheeling.

Running stock parts and breaking stuff is par for the course. Good technical content.

Drama being unrealistic? The stuff on D90 is crazier than the stuff on the show.
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:58 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Right! there is a wee bit more drama than I expected...it's like Expo with Shayne...and bee drinkin!
Hey now.... That was real life drama playing out right In front of you... And it wasn't a bee...it was a freaking wasp (not the first time Ive been caught with a WASP in my mouth.. Lol..)..
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:20 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Hey now.... That was real life drama playing out right In front of you... And it wasn't a bee...it was a freaking wasp (not the first time Ive been caught with a WASP in my mouth.. Lol..)..
Very Nice! lol...

------ Follow up post added December 1st, 2014 05:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
This show is fantastic!

1. Where on TV can you see a RHD Defender, FJ55, and a bunch of other rigs race against each other through Alaska?
2. Those people seem exactly like the kind of people I have encountered while wheeling.

Running stock parts and breaking stuff is par for the course. Good technical content.

Drama being unrealistic? The stuff on D90 is crazier than the stuff on the show.
Yeah I guess...lol.
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:01 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The dude with the mullet is priceless
According to the previews, mullet boy is killed/maimed/seriously injured in the next show. Looking forward to that!
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:04 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
According to the previews, mullet boy is killed/maimed/seriously injured in the next show. Looking forward to that!
Seriously? That's not good.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 1st, 2014, 07:18 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Seriously? That's not good.
That's what they showed, but these 'reality' shows are famous for building up the previews, only to disappoint. Example- Ice Road Truckers. "Coming up next, does someone go through the ice?" Nope, nobody goes through the ice.

I guess we'll see next week!
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:21 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I think Mullet Boy gets concussed.
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:29 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
lol!
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:30 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Looked like he bangs his head in the windscreen...hope the windscreens okay..!!!
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:33 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
lol!
The result of the head bump? Tune in next time...same D90 channel...same D90 time...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat