Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:22 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
They should have found that crazy jeep guy from Moab that used to do the off road adventure trails. He would have meshed well with Butch n Bill.

Dan Mick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

That is the guy. Dan Mick

I remember seeing him at the grocery store once in Moab and he was getting some lice shampoo. It was the one time I did not shake his hand when saying Hi and asking how business was. Ha ha ha

I think he had a knack for leading Land Rovers out into the trails and watching them get thrashed. That and leaving his parking brake off when climbing out of his Jeep. Only to come back later and see that it rolled off the mountain with no one in it. A character for sure.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Nothing is more fun than wheelin' with Dan Mick. The guy should have his own reality show for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2015, 06:14 PM
CamelTM
Trevor
1998 Camel Trophy Defender 110 CT25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I don't think the egalitarian ideals of the Camel Trophy would sell to the masses although you never know. Maybe modify the format so it has a Survivor model. More teams and the winner picked amongst final three by the other competitors.
The thing to remember about Camel what that the "competition" component was setup in the early 90's as the Special Tasks events. These were staged at specific locations during the overlanding portion (usually one early, and one late in the trip). That was the only real team vs team component, and they were indeed quite competitive.

The overall getting from A to B bit was not a race, and there was no prize or timing or the like related to it. The challenege was to simply do it. Fairly early on they did start givng out a Team Spirit award that was voted on by all teams.

So you are indeed correct, there were certainly egalitarian aspects to the event, but there was also direct competition that was quite entertaining to watch.
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:51 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

One of my favorite quotes "Heroes are made when no one is watching" - but still, sometimes everyone is ...
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:58 PM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Journey's End

Premiere Date:January 18, 2015 - 10:03-11:03PM ET
After a grueling marathon of muddy bogs, raging waters, and rocky slopes, the race enters the final stretch: an all out sprint to the Arctic Ocean. After a hair-raising ascent through the Brooks Range, the warriors must put all their experience and expertise to the test as they navigate the only path North, the daunting Dalton Highway. Rich and Carl hope to prove themselves to their Alaskan competitors by beating them on their own turf. But the Alaskan teams refuse to give the lower forty-eighters any slack, mounting an all out charge to win the prize and the title: Ultimate Off-Road Warrior.

All day marathon as well!!!

'69 Series lla
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:07 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Congratulations to you and your co-pilot! Well done. Proud of you and all the other teams for competing and making the best of it. All of you now have an amazing experience to remember as individuals and as a group. You were able to participate in a first of it's kind show doing something you love. Rock on! Congrats Team Rover...
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not a shocking ending with the 3 hour lead superheap continuously held.

I was rooting for Team Mullet as they seemed the most genuine.

The Team Meth emotional breakdown at the river was entertaining.

I'd be worried that Shay from Team Neurotic would kill me in my sleep.

I was born and raised in CO and learned to wheel in the backcountry there, but this show really makes me want to head north to Alaska to wheel. Looks like some amazing scenery....

Overall I enjoyed the show despite the drama and poor editing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:19 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Johnathan
Come on up ! I'm sure we could find you a rover to drive while your up here . Heck you could probably drive your old truck . It's getting a few upgrades as we speak .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 19th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Johnathan Come on up ! I'm sure we could find you a rover to drive while your up here . Heck you could probably drive your old truck . It's getting a few upgrades as we speak .
Believe me, I'll be up there. Thinking of making the trek with my new truck once it's done.

What mods are you doing to my old truck?

Semper Fi!
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Well, watched the last episode last night. Like Jonathan said - hard to beat Carl with that lead he had.

Jason: It was great watching the 2a run those trails with the other trucks that had much more HP, and still acquit yourselves so well. Well done. I was hoping that Bill & Butch would've been able to catch Carl & Rich. Oh well. Entertaining it was...scenery was absolutely fantastic! Gotta get up there one day that is for sure.

Now I have to spend my time convincing my wife that those guys, not Team Rover are not the typical guys I wheel with!! HAHAHA - she definitely had a different opinion on my TV viewing choice when seeing the characters I was laughing at and cheering on
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:52 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Come on Jonesy.. You're wife's met me, she should be well enough impressed with your choice of friends... She hasn't met Pedro or Goose has she, if she has you'll never be allowed to go out of the house again..!!
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:42 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Congrats, Jason. Looks like an awesome experience.

I have to say the ending was somewhat underwhelming. I was expecting a little more at the Finish Line considering there was supposed to be $100,000 on the line. No "big check" presentation? No trophy? I was really disappointed the Leigh brothers didn't make it to the end. I was hoping at least the chase vehicle would have brought them to the finish to share in the moment with the rest of them teams. Would have been nice to see a group picture of the teams at the finish, too.
It was basically "ok we're here, now lets get the hell outta here".
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:11 PM
bossongs
Steve Bossong
1973 Series III 88 PU

The most entertaining scene was the pause for the construction and watching Carl scramble from the Porta-Pot. flash backs to smokey and the bandit, just missing the toilet paper tail. I agree on the comments about the underwhelming ending... was watching the clock and it became pretty clear they didn't leave enough time for a proper award/victory scene.

definitely need to get my rigs up that way. The show reminded me how much I miss wheeling on BLM land since coming back east.
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:25 PM
MM3846
Adam
95 D1

Underwhelming ending for sure. Kind of seems like a cop out to take the dalton highway after wheeling the whole time.

Anyone else catch the huge (looks like) first gen 4Runner after the you-hit-me-I-hit-you drama?

Old January 19th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Whats with the necklace? Pitty the fool... -Jeff
More JYD than Mr. T....
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:47 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post

I'd be worried that Shay from Team Neurotic would kill me in my sleep.
Hey now...no more persecution of the red heads. She didn't fuss nearly as much as some of the guys. After two weeks of muck, I'm sure all she wanted was a hot bath lol
Old January 19th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Hey now...no more persecution of the red heads. She didn't fuss nearly as much as some of the guys. After two weeks of muck, I'm sure all she wanted was a hot bath lol
I have nothing against red heads, just crazy women.

Semper Fi!
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:07 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I hear ya... I feel the same about crazy men. The only time she squealed was when she thought her truck was going to roll. Poor mullet guy was so scared of heights. He thought he was gonna die most of the time. I was rooting for them after team rover. He earned it for overcoming his fear! wow..
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:31 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Overall I enjoyed the show. What's next for it? Will there be more shows next season?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat