Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 12th, 2015, 09:07 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Lobster View Post
It did seem a little uncharacteristic of Team Rover to winch off of the War Wagon and get a little help from them, then leave them behind...in my opinion.
I found it interesting how they were all complaining that Rover left them behind in the mud.........the same way they all left the Leigh Bros behind to fend for themselves in the very same mud.......the same way the Brother/Sister/Lovers Team left the Leigh Bros after making an alliance.......the same way Super Heep left everybody behind and took their land anchor a few episodes ago.

Its a RACE people. And more than that its a TV show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2015, 09:38 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Did nobody read the bit where it was stated that as a non competitor now team rover is NOT allowed to assist anyone... You could imagine how it would play out if Jason helped one person and not another and that person won by a hair.. Or if Jason helped one team more than another.. Etc etc..
Old January 12th, 2015, 09:57 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Did nobody read the bit where it was stated that as a non competitor now team rover is NOT allowed to assist anyone... You could imagine how it would play out if Jason helped one person and not another and that person won by a hair.. Or if Jason helped one team more than another.. Etc etc..
I would totally agree but for Team Rover to snatch onto the FJ55 and then take off was shifty. If they got thru that section without using another competitor then I could see your point. And they actually "set" that FJ55 further into the bog - so it is ok for them to take assistance but not give?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2015, 10:49 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
It makes for ratings. Who really thinks drama is not baked in by the producers using manufactured scenarios or editing.
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:01 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I would totally agree but for Team Rover to snatch onto the FJ55 and then take off was shifty. If they got thru that section without using another competitor then I could see your point. And they actually "set" that FJ55 further into the bog - so it is ok for them to take assistance but not give?
Like your style Jason, to take a tug off the back of war wagon and no reachround. But rules are rules.

Where is the sticker/decal guy, we need TEAM ROVER stickers for our windshields

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:02 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
This makes sense, I did not read that post. It should be that way. But wouldn't it also be against the rules to winch off another truck if, A: you don't ask (possible editing issues) and B: You are not in the race, and by winching from the other truck you are now helping all the other teams, and working against War Wagon? If helping one team is against the rules, surely hurting one team is against the rules.

It is TV, and it is a race, it is hard to see how it really went down. And what is Rover2's role in the race/show now anyway? And after seeing how they have manipulated other people I know in another show, I would not be surprised if it was "planned".

If you look closely at that spot on the show, you will see the editing is choppy right around where he winches, gets stuck, then winches again, then is suddenly driving out under own power... Hummmmm... The editing monkeys have been up to some mischief.
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Winching off the 55 i have no issue with, but the shot with Bill, the Mullet and the Polack all on the ground anchor to winch the Rover out I would hope that their race clock was off. -Jeff
Would leaving the land anchor and asking Bill and Butch to bring along violate the no help provision? Granted I am biased as Bill is a Coty/Cody and I have an FJ55.
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The whole premise to the show is idiotic... It is a "race" but you are encouraged to help other whole on the race clock. It make no sense...

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:06 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
if anyone wants a team rover decal I can make them up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-6.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	110776  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:21 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
"The whole premise to the show is idiotic... It is a "race" but you are encouraged to help other whole on the race clock. It make no sense..."

It's only been couple years since "Reality TV" was introduced. Was it ever "reality".

Actually, it' just TV where they don't need to pay huge $$ to actors.
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The whole premise to the show is idiotic... It is a "race" but you are encouraged to help other whole on the race clock. It make no sense...
I don't think the egalitarian ideals of the Camel Trophy would sell to the masses although you never know. Maybe modify the format so it has a Survivor model. More teams and the winner picked amongst final three by the other competitors.
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:15 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Owned both of those , unimog 404 to dang slow and heavy ! My buddy's 406 was worse . Great rigs but just no power . The pinz is well way under powered but ber cool rigs .

------ Follow up post added January 6th, 2015 07:40 PM ------

to heavy unless you are running AGS on them . Then they are not street legal . A full size on 37s would need to be hacked down to nothing to stay on top .
I amend my answer, THIS would be my choice, can't believe I forgot about it at the time, one of MY all time favorite Rover Builds (I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with it already)..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130214_RK_03537_web1200t.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	110783  

Old January 12th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I don't think the egalitarian ideals of the Camel Trophy would sell to the masses although you never know. Maybe modify the format so it has a Survivor model. More teams and the winner picked amongst final three by the other competitors.
I watched it again briefly last night. Redneck off road TV. 60 seconds between getting bogged down. Doesn't make for good TV.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:13 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I amend my answer, THIS would be my choice, can't believe I forgot about it at the time, one of MY all time favorite Rover Builds (I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with it already)..
Yeah' I love oilworkers rhino 130...portals and all..
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:49 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
That truck gives me sticker anxiety...
Old January 12th, 2015, 05:04 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
That truck gives me sticker anxiety...
Yes, but under all those stickers, its Gorgeous

Old January 12th, 2015, 05:47 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I have to admit, my favorite part in the entire show so far, was watching Jason wipe the inside of the windshield off with his hand. It took me right back to driving the Defender in the rain, and carrying a shammy in the Tuffy box just to wipe the inside.
Old January 14th, 2015, 04:54 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
I won't go into a bunch of detail but in no way did I hinder the FJ and once I was around them Glen and I tried for quite a while to pull Bill through. He had really sunk that thing with those boggers and it was clear that the other teams as well were very much stuck. We packed our gear up and proceeded to the end of the trail which at the time was the right thing to do. I had seriously thought that if Bill came unstuck first and was moving I could sink the Series in front of the Jeep and really screw up the "race" standings. But I didn't. The teams were clearly pissed off that we had smoked them all and the production crew took full advantage of the situation to rile them up and create the much needed drama. Glen, the camera man that rode with us, and I had an absolute blast on the trail those 2 days and to me it is rather silly to see the reaction the other teams had to us not helping them.....in a race we weren't part of???

They didn't want us in the race....but sure wanted our help.

'69 Series lla
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:47 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-1 View Post
I won't go into a bunch of detail but in no way did I hinder the FJ and once I was around them Glen and I tried for quite a while to pull Bill through. He had really sunk that thing with those boggers and it was clear that the other teams as well were very much stuck. We packed our gear up and proceeded to the end of the trail which at the time was the right thing to do. I had seriously thought that if Bill came unstuck first and was moving I could sink the Series in front of the Jeep and really screw up the "race" standings. But I didn't. The teams were clearly pissed off that we had smoked them all and the production crew took full advantage of the situation to rile them up and create the much needed drama. Glen, the camera man that rode with us, and I had an absolute blast on the trail those 2 days and to me it is rather silly to see the reaction the other teams had to us not helping them.....in a race we weren't part of???

They didn't want us in the race....but sure wanted our help.
Thanks for clearing that up. Wish they put in at least a little clip of you and Glen trying to help Bill and the FJ55 out. But that wouldn't make for good TV I guess

I like watching the show but just wish the editing was better. I feel like I watch an hour of the show just to get 5-10 minutes of decent footage. At least I have my phone so I can read D90, IG and mtn bike forums during the shitty drama parts.
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:18 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I SEE what kind of a man you are Jason !!!

Love it !!!!

To many toyota's in the show for it to be a realistic adventure. Just a goat trail drama with some mud runs for the camera.

And the Heep seems more like a chow wagon then a racer. They should have found that crazy jeep guy from Moab that used to do the off road adventure trails. He would have meshed well with Butch n Bill.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat