Alaska offroad warriors - Page 21 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:24 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I bet it was a pretty bare bones crew. How many guys were there, Jason?

I agree they could have shown off the vistas more. And they have thrown some decent shots in. But you have to remember - They're going for the average american here. They have a formula for these shows (which works) and they're applying it to our preferred activity. You're not their target audience and it never will be. Not to mention I"m sure there was a shoe string budget at work here. I dunno what you guys expect out of this. Just enjoy some good airtime for a group of guys who are probably having a helluva time and a rover fiend like ourselves who had a chance to be part of it.

Bunch of couch wheelers on this board anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:37 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
I didn't sign the NDA so I will tell you what I can without ruining Jason's show :-) .
So there was a group of rigs running behind the scenes to prep and set up stations like the camera guys locations as well as overhead drone spots . So without ruining the show for you guys I won't share to much info. but will say that the drivers where funneled into areas to make them able to be caught on film . And there was a camera guy in each rig that rode along to catch the action as it unfolded . As some of you are probably wondering how this type of event was able to take place in the wilderness . Original productions the film company applied and was granted the permits to run this event . I worked side by side with DNR and the producers a day or two in advance to help keep things flowing . Due to the fact that I was a day or more ahead I never got the chance to see any of the filming so the show is just as interesting as it is for everybody else except I recognize all the spots . That's all I can offer and I'm sure Jason can answer more but I think he's bound to contracts .
Go Jason !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I honestly think one of the main problems with the show is the photography. It's not epic. It could be epic. They really could do so much more than spend 80% of the time on the mud holes. They are going something like 40 miles per leg, there has got to be some better "story" about overlanding than just the mud holes.

The Rover is the only reason I'm watching. I like the crew, the truck is not kitted out to oblivion, and they drive the way I would... if I had the money. Although I do enjoy seeing the ...Jeep?... dive into the worst lines possible every single time.
Ed has been saying this whole time how difficult it was to get the permits to even put on the race. My guess is that one of the stipulations was that all trucks had to stay on the established trails. Even if that meant the established trail had a bottomless pit right down the middle. Maybe the only way drivers were allowed to choose a better line and go around was if someone was blocking the trail. They had to 'hug' the trail. Did you notice whenever drivers would pass teams who were stuck; they'd always be tight? They didn't go 20 yards over and blaze by. I wish they would have added an extra 30min to the show...if there was more time, they would have been able to include more of that epic footage. I'm just hoping after the show is over they release some of the 'behind the scenes' or 'making of' footage...
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:13 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
The behind the scenes would be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2015, 11:39 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Unimog? Pinzgauer? Something on Portals? I don't care much for the mud either, so..
Owned both of those , unimog 404 to dang slow and heavy ! My buddy's 406 was worse . Great rigs but just no power . The pinz is well way under powered but über cool rigs .

------ Follow up post added January 6th, 2015 07:40 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM3846 View Post
For mud... A late model full-size pickup with a V8.
to heavy unless you are running AGS on them . Then they are not street legal . A full size on 37s would need to be hacked down to nothing to stay on top .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:45 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
They were checking out the series? I hadn't noticed. The other teams (SuperJeep) saw Jason could drive...bet they wouldn't have let him back in the race even if he showed up on a lawn tractor.
Haha my handy work :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-590707941.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	110348
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old January 7th, 2015, 12:33 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Nice...!
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:26 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
They were checking out the series? I hadn't noticed. The other teams (SuperJeep) saw Jason could drive...bet they wouldn't have let him back in the race even if he showed up on a lawn tractor.
You bet they were checking her out!!!.

They were definitely freaked out when I pulled up. There was a nice drama free discussion about how they were going to handle the fact we were back. Some suggested a time penalty, of which I agreed to and promptly told them I would be more than willing to make up. Some suggested that I go back and run the 2 trails I had missed, of which I agreed to and promptly told them I would be more than willing to do that and then catch up.
It wasn't until I mentioned an LS1 residing under the hood that some become very vocal and overly concerned and the discussion went rapidly into the gutter.

A discussion with the production staff ensued and it was explained that we could not continue on for the sake of the "contest winnings". I again promptly agreed and that is when we all hugged and I opened the bonnet.

I then set out to drive to Deadhorse and push a Series as hard as I possibly could.

------ Follow up post added January 6th, 2015 10:32 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
I bet it was a pretty bare bones crew. How many guys were there, Jason?

I agree they could have shown off the vistas more. And they have thrown some decent shots in. But you have to remember - They're going for the average american here. They have a formula for these shows (which works) and they're applying it to our preferred activity. You're not their target audience and it never will be. Not to mention I"m sure there was a shoe string budget at work here. I dunno what you guys expect out of this. Just enjoy some good airtime for a group of guys who are probably having a helluva time and a rover fiend like ourselves who had a chance to be part of it.

Bunch of couch wheelers on this board anyway...
You're perception of what they were going for is spot on.

Not sure of exact numbers of the production staff on location. They came and went as well as camera operators. Most of the time they were all spread out and we were kept separate from the logistics and production happenings.

'69 Series lla
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:05 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Should have just let them all agree to let you make up the time and trails from where you left off and still in the running for the winnings...if the production crew wanted drama and upset they would have got plenty once you caught up and THEN let the others find out what's under the hood.....
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:35 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I am confused now too. What's this LS1 business?
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
He was screwing with them.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Haha! An LS1 powered Series would have outrun the Meth Brothers.
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:58 PM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I'm glad at least one person "got it".

'69 Series lla
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-1 View Post
I think (or hope!) most got it. Wonder if you hadn't said anything about an LS if they would have let you back in. Seemed like Pete was afraid it would screw with their slow and steady strategy.
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Wonder if you hadn't said anything about an LS if they would have let you back in. Seemed like Pete was afraid it would screw with their slow and steady strategy.
Certainly not Carl. If you read over at Pirate, you can see he took the whole event way too seriously and would have not faired well with real competition....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:10 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Is it ironic that John is the one who "got it"?

hides
Old January 7th, 2015, 09:18 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

That newer 4 Runner is the nicest looking build still in the race. If she was a faster driver I bet they would be in first place easy.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:34 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
You bet they were checking her out!!! ...They were definitely freaked out when I pulled up.....I then set out to drive to Deadhorse and push a Series as hard as I possibly could.
Quote:
Too bad they freaked that hard, but it's understandable. They were chicken. If they were true 'warriors', they would have let you take whatever penalties and then said, 'Bring it!' Rich was something else, huh?? It was so funny to watch a grown man act that way! 'You can't dooo thaaat!' Wow!! I laughed SO hard!! I'm really glad you stayed on to give the other teams some heat, have fun and make some memories. I would have done the exact same thing!! You can't put a price tag on what you did...and I got your joke. I don't doubt your integrity...
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:27 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
With 100k on the line I'd hold everyone to the rules that were agreed on too. Can't fault em for that.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Just a bunch of non technical hillbilly wheelers up here . And the trails they could get permitting for the show is what you see . Most of the trails have a technical section in them but also have mud . So you guys down there go off-roading tip toeing over the mud so you don't get your loafers dirty :-) . I'm wondering is rock technical wheeling ? We cross more water here than anywhere else I'm sure . But we don't consider this technical it's just the way to get to the other side . Attachment 110226 Also a big full size truck wouldn't have been able to make it down some of the trails . Weight height and width . My D90 is setup for Alaska , light weight big fast winch warmed over 4.6 on 37s . It eats that stuff up .
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:51 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Chicken I say!!...bak bak lol
Softer than a tootsie roll fruit cup. Oooh the humanity!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat