Alaska offroad warriors - Page 16 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 23rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I posted up about that the day after it aired on another forum. Looked to be a series rover to me

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

It's been talked about even in this thread. As I said, that last episode was the worst. But I must have awful taste as I don't see any other avenue than watching every single episode until it is done.

That dragging winch cable bothered me too... Normally I wouldn't be that upset at editing but wholly shit-balls, it is so bad I can't help but get annoyed.

I still love wheeling, and frankly there are not that many shows about it. Whoever posted earlier on how it would be great if the whole group would get a bonus for getting every truck to the daily finish before the deadline NAILS how I feel a better format would be. I'll take teamwork over this kind of made up lousy drama anyday. One can hope...

Or heck, even play up the Jeep/Rover/Toyota sort of rivalry and have teams of 3 trucks compete against each other... but I digress....
Old December 23rd, 2014, 11:25 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
It's been talked about even in this thread. As I said, that last episode was the worst. But I must have awful taste as I don't see any other avenue than watching every single episode until it is done. That dragging winch cable bothered me too... Normally I wouldn't be that upset at editing but wholly shit-balls, it is so bad I can't help but get annoyed. I still love wheeling, and frankly there are not that many shows about it. Whoever posted earlier on how it would be great if the whole group would get a bonus for getting every truck to the daily finish before the deadline NAILS how I feel a better format would be. I'll take teamwork over this kind of made up lousy drama anyday. One can hope... Or heck, even play up the Jeep/Rover/Toyota sort of rivalry and have teams of 3 trucks compete against each other... but I digress....
Well, it would be pretty amazing if Rover/Jeep/Toyota would actually sponsor teams in a Camel Trophy style format event. Unfortunately, Jeep would probably be the only one to even show the slightest degree of interest.

How about a D-90/Discoweb vs Pirate vs iH8Mud challenge instead? The team selections alone would drive an unreal amount of site traffic for each. 3 vehicle teams representing each site in a CT style team event. Could be a hell of a lot of fun.
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2014, 12:38 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
After living in Whistler for 6 years, then watching half an episode of the tv show "Whistler" it REALLY enforced how completely fake TV is. (It was like Beverly Hills 90210 with snow) Not 1 thing was even really close to reality.

AOW is a "Reality TV show" I do like seeing where they are wheeling, and would LOVE to be out there doing that. (not the "pin it to the floor through the mud bog part" though) My kids (7 & 11 year olds) LOVE the show and watch every episode over and over. They were crushed at the downfall of Rover 1.

However, it's only what the producers feel like showing us. "us" being the average TV watcher, not "us" being the guys that know the difference between a Land Rover and a Jeep.
Old December 24th, 2014, 02:21 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
The editing is bad for sure. I'm not going to pretend it's not. It really bothers me that the editing has taken away so much of what this was about and what the teams really accomplished. Many, many hours of footage was taken of very positive moments that were inspirational and very believable because they really happened that way.

Hours were spent around the campfire reliving the days events and guessing about what the next day would bring. Rigs were worked on daily to be able to keep going and all teams helped each other many times whether it be getting unstuck, a mechanical issue, or lending gear. Every team had to deal with breakage, attitudes, and the stress of being kept very on edge and uninformed on a daily basis. In many ways it was very much like a CT event...at least that is what I will always tell myself. In a very sick twisted way it was a very unique and challenging event.

'69 Series lla
Old December 24th, 2014, 02:51 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM3846 View Post
I'm guessing you don't read other 4x4 boards. It is not my opinion but "typical rover douche" seems to be the popular phrase on Pirate and other Jeep forums.
Pirate.....have fun over there. I said my piece about the first episode over there and that's the extent of that.

It's very entertaining in it's own right if you can stomach the absolute LR hatred. My Co pilot is on there and commented for a good while and Carl J. is giving out as much behind the scenes info as he feels comfortable doing. I have no interest in adding anything more to it.

'69 Series lla
Old December 24th, 2014, 04:49 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Subscribed
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:32 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-1 View Post
I have no interest in adding anything more to it.
How about on here then? I'd live to hear more of the behind the scenes stuff. Like on pirate Carl explained how the camera footage was kept in sync - something I was wondering about.
Old December 24th, 2014, 08:40 PM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
How about on here then? I'd live to hear more of the behind the scenes stuff. Like on pirate Carl explained how the camera footage was kept in sync - something I was wondering about.
I could go on for days about the behind the scenes shenanigans and how this was all filmed. I just don't have the time to go into detail on all that. There will be talk of this show for a long time and plenty of the "real" story will come to light in the future I'm sure. I've got Rover chaos that I'm dealing with everyday and and there are 4 more episodes to go.

Merry Christmas to all! I've got to help pack Santa's sleigh so he can get to bob'n and weaving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-24 11.57.16.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	109309

'69 Series lla
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:50 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Well, it would be pretty amazing if Rover/Jeep/Toyota would actually sponsor teams in a Camel Trophy style format event. Unfortunately, Jeep would probably be the only one to even show the slightest degree of interest.

How about a D-90/Discoweb vs Pirate vs iH8Mud challenge instead? The team selections alone would drive an unreal amount of site traffic for each. 3 vehicle teams representing each site in a CT style team event. Could be a hell of a lot of fun.

I'd be in but only if we used a Freelander for our rig.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old December 24th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I'd be in but only if we used a Freelander for our rig.
Hmmmm. Can we fit 37's on one? :-)
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:40 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry

Name:	10690067_10203304902446722_1351092599436123710_n.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	109566

'69 Series lla
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:42 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry

Name:	DSCF0360.jpg
Views:	3397
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	109567

'69 Series lla
Old December 28th, 2014, 04:46 AM
97XD
CS
'97 XD

Alaska offroad warriors

Expired plate? I can't tell from here in Japan though. Probably doesn't matter out there in the last remaining American wilderness.

Rover on, Team Rover 2!!!
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I caught up on the last three episodes last night..

-sucks to see Rover-1 out!!!! Great job overcoming some breakage but it just goes to show you that you can't be prepared for everything. Aaah well.
-I noticed the crazy editing, as well.. I'll assume its just us who would notice those things. But then again its probably just us who is watching anyway! Think of it as a treasure hunt as you watch.
-The personal drama is fine -just enough in my opinion. The variety of personalities is a good mix, a cross-section of average Alasakns?? (Kinda crazy, kinda redneck, strong family bonds)… Now with TeamRover out we lose a bit of "normal" and we're left with the crazies. . . Fun
-What the hell is up with SuperJeeps shifter? Did he put every control on it or is it just Jeep flair?
-Any knowledge abut SJ's winch? PTO driven apparently? ?
-Hating on SJ by the Alaskans is getting old. At least they're prepared. Maybe next time they won't leave them their PullPal!
-I like it how the rigs are "mostly" stock although its not really fair (V8 purpose built Jeep on 40" tires vs 4 cyl toy on 35's?) I love how well the old Cruiser is doing.. Although breakage seems inevitable..? A flat tire seemed to really bum Butch out, I can't imagine if they get a real breakdown how he'd fare…

-Hoping Rover makes a comeback, even if just as a spotter or winch team, trail blazer etc etc. I'm getting sick of Toyotas already. If that red Series makes it onto the show, all the better!

~Steve

------ Follow up post added December 28th, 2014 10:25 AM ------

BTW, here's the Pirate thread.. SJ posts over there good to hear about it from other perspectives!

~Steve

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...y-channel.html
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:30 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Made the mistake of going to Pirate to read the thread there. That is time in my life I cannot get back, luckily I gave up. Wow, except for a few, those guys posting in that thread have a lot of pent up frustration. The winch ninja sure is stirring them up LOL!

Rover-1 your post was thought out and appreciated. And your 90 and the Pig were the most interesting trucks on the show. Here is to hoping to see another green oval product make an appearance.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
I like it how the rigs are "mostly" stock
One of those 4Runners seems to have had a solid axle swap.
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:13 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
I have a angle grinder welder and a sawsall we can fit whatever you want.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:52 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Discolander. I want to build one someday.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat