Alaska offroad warriors - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 17th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Joslin
Bryan Joslin
2000 Discovery

It's too bad Jason's rig gave out. I really enjoyed seeing the Rover do its thing. Sadly, I felt he was the only driver that didn't do harm to the public's perception of off-roading. I'll miss his voice of reason for the rest of the challenge.

I don't know if I'll actually make an appointment to watch the show any longer, but I'm sure I'll still tune in occasionally to see the terrain. My brother lives in Anchorage and had been begging my wife and I to come up with our Discovery for some summertime camping/fishing/hiking. The show has convinced me (more than he has) that I should definitely make that a priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
This thread is priceless! Lol you all are hilarious.
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:43 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Safe and sound. Being tore down over the next few weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-03 14.04.20.jpg
Views:	2001
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	108872

'69 Series lla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2014, 02:17 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-1 View Post
Safe and sound. Being tore down over the next few weeks.

Attachment 108872
Snug as a bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Soft top under the exo-cage. Nice.

-Jeff
Was thinking the same thing. I'm doing that set up with one of my Series trucks.
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:19 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
The teams will push on. There is soooo much great footage that didn't make the cut. It's frustrating seeing many many hours of action, drama, and suspense that happened in real time condensed into just less than 60 minutes.

Did everyone catch that we in fact won that trail. The Jeep only made it to the top first because of the 5 min staggered start. We made up time and made it to the top at -2 minutes and some change.

Contrary to the graphics depicted, I did not attempt to "fix" the oil line with duct tape.

------ Follow up post added December 17th, 2014 10:28 PM ------

If I may, there are more pics of the RRC, D90, and behind the scenes located at the link in my signature. I will add those to a thread here next week along with additional info. I'm trying to space this all out as best as possible to avoid dumping everything all at once.

'69 Series lla
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:45 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I'm wondering what the copilot is supposed to be doing if not spotting the vehicle over obstacles, in hopes of preventing such damage? Are they supposed to stay in the vehicle? Did you just not see the whatever ate the tie rod?
Co Pilots were there to do whatever was needed of them. There were not any specific restrictions put on them. The tie rod had bent when I slid into the passenger side rutted bank of the trail while making a right hand sharp turn. Stuffed the tire really hard and came to a complete stop. The upgraded cv's and shafts held strong.

Glen and I worked very well together and we both figured out rather quickly what our roles would be. We have been on wheeling trips together before and he is practiced up on fast winching and self recovery. His extreme dry humor and quick wit kept it comical and relaxed while under way.

Do to editing there is little spotting, winching, or other Co Pilot tasks shown but he definitely worked hard and earned water being dumped on him.

'69 Series lla
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:08 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-1 View Post
There is soooo much great footage that didn't make the cut. It's frustrating seeing many many hours of action, drama, and suspense that happened in real time condensed into just less than 60 minutes.

Did everyone catch that we in fact won that trail. The Jeep only made it to the top first because of the 5 min staggered start. We made up time and made it to the top at -2 minutes and some change.

Contrary to the graphics depicted, I did not attempt to "fix" the oil line with duct tape.

------ Follow up post added December 17th, 2014 10:28 PM ------

If I may, there are more pics of the RRC, D90, and behind the scenes located at the link in my signature. I will add those to a thread here next week along with additional info. I'm trying to space this all out as best as possible to avoid dumping everything all at once.
I'm sure there is so much that is missing. There are 24hrs in a day and to condense it all into that short amount of time, lots of really cool stuff must have been left out.

If you have raced before you understand the drama, adrenaline and suspense. It's just part of it. Fun and intense lol I like it!

Yes, I saw how well you were doing and that is why it is sooo bitter sweet. You guys were killing it and would have won...
Old December 18th, 2014, 08:29 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Ahhhhh, so you continued on in the range rover or the series..???
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Finally saw the episode. Apparently we need to wait 4 days in Canada. I liked that one. It was represented much more as normal wheeling and a lot less redneck. I like the idea of the "normal" rigs and not having super over built ones.

So how did the oil cooler line fail? Any ideas? Seems like a crazy thing to get hit. Not sure if they are more exposed in a 300, but they are really out of the way in the earlier engines.

Does the oil need to go through the cooler? I did not think so. You probably could have just clamped the lines closed.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:08 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Ahhhhh, so you continued on in the range rover or the series..???
RRC was killed to build the 90 ! So I'll give two guesses but you'll only need one :-)
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:49 AM
mud ruts
Chris Ray
97 Disco

Jason
Trailhead4x4 make 300tdi braided oil lines.

Old December 19th, 2014, 09:53 AM
dmurrell
David Murrell
1973 Series 3 - SW - Pansy

Registry

Some of you may remember Steve Johnson's Dixieland Rovers in Tifton, GA. He had many good lines, but my favorite is "A series truck will always get you back to the camp."
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

From Team Rover1 on FB:

1991 Range Rover Classic
By Team Rover1 Updated about 3 weeks ago

This is the machine that inspired the Team Rover1 fever. I ran this machine to the depths of off-road nightmares and heart ache for a solid 2 years exploring Alaskan trails.

Although it is no more after being sacrificed to the Land Rover Gods, I will always remain amazed at the unrelenting punishment it endured and the incredible journeys it led me on.

Fitting I wore a suit and tie on it's last outing to the trails.
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:34 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

This is disappointing. I would've donated a few bucks to see these chumps lose.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 03:39 AM
ROVER-1
Jason Beard
1984 D90

Registry
All is not lost.

The passion, love of adventure, and desire to press-on-regardless sometimes is far more important than the material prize at the end.

'69 Series lla
Old December 22nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Caught some piece of the show last night after the Sunday night skate.

A few things:

- the show certainly isn't as good without Team Rover
- the editing is piss poor. I really hate what the moderns shows do with the footage previous time stamps and sounds other vehicles. Any high school kid with a bunch of raw GoPro footage could do a better job.
- Why the f**k doesn't that dude Butch wear a seatbelt or at least rig some duct tape for a handle. He gets tossed around every show hitting his head. That knock-out thing seemed fabricated. If he really did get KO'd why wasn't there more testing to see how if effected him.
- did Super Jeep take every deep line to get stuck on purpose? From what I saw it was: "there is deep mud on the left or drier stuff on the right. Let's go left, get stuffed and have the 4Runner take the easier line and pass us."

I really wish they had used the UA style and document the trip more than a race. Or have it like the Camel Trophy. 5 teams can win $100k ($20k each) if they get thru each stage within a certain time by the last truck. The voice over guy says "expedition" last night but it's not an expedition when people are leaving a stuck rig behind.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Hadn't watched it before or really followed this thread. Knew a LR was in it but had no idea they were out.

Its repetitive. Drive Jeep. Get Jeep stuck. Toyotas go passed Jeep. Wimpy 4 cylinder Toyota gets stuck and pulled out by six cylinder.

Repeat

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:19 AM
desertcrawler
Charles Mobraten
04 Discovery

I'm looking for a list of trails they ran with real names. I grew up in that area just never wheeled it..
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
If he really did get KO'd why wasn't there more testing to see how if effected him.
Dude is too far gone for it to matter...
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

They'd have to do exploratory surgery to find his brain...but I can tell you he's sitting on it...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat