Airline Guys Post Up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 12th, 2013, 09:49 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Airline Guys Post Up

If you don't want you employer "out there" P.M. Me and I'll compile a list to PM to the others.
I'm a 737 cappy for the friendliest jumpseat airlines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
If you don't want you employer "out there" P.M. Me and I'll compile a list to PM to the others.
I'm a 737 cappy for the friendliest jumpseat airlines.
I'm importing a 130 for a United Capt who's a member here.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

I've hooked up with a few flight attendants, does that count?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2013, 12:52 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Fake it till you make it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2856004827.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	79734  
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:04 AM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

I flew the LAXLHR run for 3 years for AA. Used to spend a lot of time at HR Owens on the NW side of London. They were the largest LR dealer in London, which I suppose would make them one of the largest in the UK. It's amazing the inroads you can make with the Parts guys when you bring over Levi's 501s- and they had to be 501s.... I took over a Levi's jean jacket for the Service Mgr, and that guy would fax me any service bulletins/ repair instructions I wanted.... They'd pay me in Quid for whatever I paid for the stuff, therefore I wouldn't have to pay a sales commission to exchange $$. They even started to give me jobber pricing- 15% off....

At the time, my new '95 D1 was cheaper here in the US, but parts/accessories were cheaper over there. I used to bring back stuff an stow it in the cockpit all the time. The brush bar wouldn't fit, and I couldn't stow it in baggage with all the positive ID/customs stuff, so I air freighted that home with me...

Don't know if/when LR changed it, but the gas door lock used the same key as the ignition/door locks in 1995-96. On day in the Parts Dept. a customer came in and said he needed a new gas door lock, as his had been "nicked" or stolen from his D1. The counter guy said you not only need a new gas door lock, but all new keys/locks, as your whole Disco was about to be "nicked"...... there was a vehicle theft ring going around... They'd pop the flimsy gas door with a screw driver off the desired vehicle, say a White D1, then remove the simple retaining clip and steal the lock. A unscrupulous locksmith would then make a door/ignition key for the desired vehicle. They would then steal the license plate off a Red D1, thinking the owner might not notice it missing for a few days.... They'd then steal the White D1 with their new keys, then place the stolen Red D1 plates on the White D1. The White D1 owner comes out the next morning, find that his D1 has been "nicked"- calls the Police. The Police search and start running plates on this one, that one, and that white one way over there- Discos are all over the place over in the UK. If they run the plate on the stolen White D1, it comes back as a D1 plate ( I guess they don't put the color on their registrations??)..

The White D1 is on the first ferry or Eurotrain to France, then another train down to the south of France, where it goes by ship/ferry boat to Morocco or Tunisia.... all like clockwork- Stolen in London, and lost in Africa forever- all within 24 hours....

I used to drool at the 110s on the show room floor, knowing that I couldn't have a new one here...

Before that, I flew all over Europe for 5 years buying Porsche parts..... Coming back to fly domestic US as the honcho was pretty boring after 8 years on the N.Atlantic...

Oh well, it was a great carnival ride while it lasted....

Tim

87 D110 300 Tdi
95 D1
Several 911s
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Great story broke the ignition key on the fuel door once. That sucked
Garage wasn't too happy either

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:43 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Kids... That's why you shouldn't drink and post.

Old September 13th, 2013, 07:55 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Registrations do have color in the UK. What you describe is called 'flopping' ... Up until a few years ago anyone could make a set of UK plates. Now it's a bit more restrictive but not much. Basically see a car you like, copy the registration number and steal an identical car. Put your newly made plates on the stolen car and drive around. Since the original car isn't reported stolen, is likely fully insured and has all its paperwork up to date there is a very low risk of getting caught.

Given that lots have new cars have the electronic signature for the key in the ECU its pretty easy to make a new key ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm truly sorry I asked........ Nevermind.
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:34 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Holy thread derail!
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:27 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

I used to work for Piedmont from 81-84. I saw the last of the turboprop YS-11 aircraft in service and worked 737 and 727's until joining the AF.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by genie90 View Post
Holy thread derail!
Exactly my point

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
drunk posting, good thread gone bad, hijack, wtf?