Air suspension to fit a 110 in garage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 27th, 2013, 12:49 PM
JeffK
Jeff Kulp
2008 RRS

Air suspension to fit a 110 in garage

This forum has been a great resource in helping me decide to take the plunge. My last hurdle is fitting a 110 in my garage. I don't have access to outdoor parking currently. My garage is 81.5" to the bottom of the door. I don't know the exact height of the vehicle yet. I was thinking I could install air suspension and lower the vehicle to get in the garage as long as it doesn't take away from the performance of the vehicle. For all I know it could improve the ride.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

81.5" is 6' 9 1/2"

A stock 110 should fit. An NAS 110 would likely not fit (or it would be really really close, but a ROW should.
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:47 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
fitting air suspension seems a lot of complication and expense ...

are you looking for a 110 ROW or NAS?

you could source slightly lower springs from somewhere like twisted ... http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2013, 01:56 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
This forum has been a great resource in helping me decide to take the plunge. My last hurdle is fitting a 110 in my garage. I don't have access to outdoor parking currently. My garage is 81.5" to the bottom of the door. I don't know the exact height of the vehicle yet. I was thinking I could install air suspension and lower the vehicle to get in the garage as long as it doesn't take away from the performance of the vehicle. For all I know it could improve the ride.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jeff

Too much hassle -- may improve the ride but will take an otherwise painless part of these vehicles and make it as finicky as the rest of the truck.

If you only have to get it in for maintenance then you can always let air out of the tires. Or do as Wolf did and set up some wheels with small tires on it just for pulling the truck into the garage.

Anyone have pics of that? Pretty funny

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM
JeffK
Jeff Kulp
2008 RRS

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm interested in an ROW 110. Outside parking is nonexistent where I live so I have to make sure before I can commit to anything. If I only need to lower it an inch or so the springs look like a good option. The air suspension would be a last resort. If it is not a reliable solution, I'll skip it.
Old December 27th, 2013, 02:30 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm interested in an ROW 110. Outside parking is nonexistent where I live so I have to make sure before I can commit to anything. If I only need to lower it an inch or so the springs look like a good option. The air suspension would be a last resort. If it is not a reliable solution, I'll skip it.
You can always torch the springs to Lower it a little, I have seen it but never done it
Old December 27th, 2013, 02:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You shouldn't have issues as long as you don't go with a lifted truck.
Old December 27th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I imagine air suspension from a Range Rover Classic would be the easiest to fit. Not a great option in my opinion.
Old December 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Take a look at Himalaya ... He can probably source lowered springs.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 27th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There are no off the shelf air suspension kits available. It requires custom work and the expertise to do it. It is not expensive to do, but custom parts are needed.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
There are no off the shelf air suspension kits available. It requires custom work and the expertise to do it. It is not expensive to do, but custom parts are needed.

Correct, I happen to have a set of air bags & mounting hardware for a 90 I put together quite a while ago. Could be made to fit a 100 with a new rear top mount/slider. Similar to the 'Ogden Air' system, all new parts & never fitted, built them & then changed direction.

Couple of pic's.....

You would need to put together the rest of the 'air kit' but it's all easily sourced from the on-line 'low rider' suppliers. I have the drawings to make a pair of front external shock mounts too as you'd need them.

Pm me if your interested in them.... there doing nothing here apart from taking up space.
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:44 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I store my stock ROW 110 in a garage that is 6'8".

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 27th, 2013, 07:41 PM
JeffK
Jeff Kulp
2008 RRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Correct, I happen to have a set of air bags & mounting hardware for a 90 I put together quite a while ago. Could be made to fit a 100 with a new rear top mount/slider. Similar to the 'Ogden Air' system, all new parts & never fitted, built them & then changed direction.

You would need to put together the rest of the 'air kit' but it's all easily sourced from the on-line 'low rider' suppliers. I have the drawings to make a pair of front external shock mounts too as you'd need them.

Pm me if your interested in them.... there doing nothing here apart from taking up space.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind. Hopefully it doesn't come to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
You can always torch the springs to Lower it a little, I have seen it but never done it
I don't trust myself doing that. I'd be the guy with the lopsided LR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
I store my stock ROW 110 in a garage that is 6'8".

Clay

Seems like I should be fine then. At least I know what my options are and aren't if I pull the trigger.
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:32 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Check with the guys at airbagman.com They were developing kits for defenders awhile back. FWIW, I think the airbag systems will only give you a few, maybe 4ish, inches of adjustability so not sure it will truly fix your problem depending on the truck you choose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 27th, 2013, 10:59 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
landy andy, you are cray-cray but in a very good way.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Am I the only one thinking it would be less hassle and cost to replace the door and raise the height a few inches rather than building a custom air suspension? Not that the EAS isn't a cool idea, it just seems like it is probably equal cost and a lot more hassle and potential for problems than modifying the garage it is going in.

Most importantly...It should fit as is, so as long as you don't have your heart set on a raised vehicle, you should be all set.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM
JeffK
Jeff Kulp
2008 RRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
Am I the only one thinking it would be less hassle and cost to replace the door and raise the height a few inches rather than building a custom air suspension? Not that the EAS isn't a cool idea, it just seems like it is probably equal cost and a lot more hassle and potential for problems than modifying the garage it is going in.

Most importantly...It should fit as is, so as long as you don't have your heart set on a raised vehicle, you should be all set.
If I raise the opening I can't take it with me when I leave. I'll only be in this place a couple more years at the most.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
If I raise the opening I can't take it with me when I leave. I'll only be in this place a couple more years at the most.
Garage door openings are pretty standard, they usually 7' or 8', 7' being the norm. If you adjust your current door all the way up you should be able to do the same at your next place.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I have your standard run of the mill garage door opening on our condo.

My 110 has brand new stock springs TF AT shocks and 265/75/16 tires and I make it with just a touch of room to spare. It looks really close but there is room.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:44 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Tight but they fit in the standard garage config.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3093909888.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	86843  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags