Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

AIR COMPRESSOR Question:

Hey folks...

I'm going to be installing BAMBOO flooring in the upstairs of my house and I need a NAILGUN... So, if I go the air compressor route, I"m going to need an air compressor.

My question is... I'd like to be able to use the air compress for a bunch of things, including the D90... So, does anyone 'know' about air compressors or even nailguns that could help me out ? I'd rather not have to buy 2 compressors if I go out and purchase a crappy one.

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, if your not using it to often then I think one from sears would be fine, I would get something in the 5 cfm range at 90 psi with a 5 or 6 hp motor, I would get a portable one as you will want to be able to bring it every ware once you have used it a few times. Now if you wanted a real kick a A$$ compressor Ingersoll-Rand makes some good stuff, very industrial and they are $$$, but unless you will be using like a professional day in day out I say a Sears will do fine. You may want to go bigger or smaller depending on what tool you want to use like an average impact wrench will need 4 to 6 CFM at 90 psi, and a grinder will need 6 to 8 cfm at 90 psi, But you would be able to get away with 6 if you are not using it too hard. I don't think nailer's have a very high cfm demand so any compressor would be OK for that as long as you can get at least 90 psi.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I just bought an 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor for $399 from Lowes. It is not portable but air hoses are cheap and you can hook up a few and nail anything, anywhere on your property. This compressor will run any air tool all day. I have owned a few compressors in my day and in my opinion, bigger is better. The little compressors don't have a fast enough recovery time to use any wrenches or grinders. The are also 110 volts so if you are running them on a 15 amp circuit you don't get the "electron flow" to run them at their peak (ie...the bathroom or bedroom electrical outlet). 220 volt, 15 or so amps and you have the same air power as the garage down the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2005, 11:35 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Air compressors for nail guns have small tanks and large comprssor motors for fast recovery and for the ability to maintain high pressures.

Nail guns need higher pressures and not alot of volume.

Most shop comprssors have big tanks for high volume applications like running paint guns and air tools. Although you can run line all the way from you garage, I think you will be disapointed in the perfomance of the nail gun with a shop comprssor. It will have alot of line loss and long recovery times.

I would rent a comprssor for the nail gun if it were me even though I have a comprssor in the garage.

This is just my experience
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't know, we have a 5 hp shop compressor with 100 gallon tank here at work and I ran a framing nailer all day without a hitch, our compressor turns on at 90 psi and off at 115 so it was always in the workable range for the nailer. But with the small 5 hp compressor we have trouble with high cfm demands, it will only supply maybe 5 cfm.

Oh another thought! You also may want to consider duty cycle of the compressor, most are in the 50% on off, the good ones will be in th 70% on and 30% off, and some can run all day. Not really something you have to think about unless you will have a heavy demand for long periods of time.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Construction crews run nail guns all day with 100's of miles of air hoses running huge framing hammers. Nicholas, guess it is personal preference that will drive your purchase.
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM
ccrover
craig crawford
1995 d90 ST red

POWERTANK!!!

i just finished putting up cedar clapboard siding and shingles - 2000 sq foot home i did the whole house on one 10 g tank - i was completely amazed , i thought i would have to keep refilling it for each side of the house!

i bought it primarily for offraoding tire refills etc and it mounts in my d-90 ... but when i tried it on my nail guns it works awesome and no compressor noise!!! and completely portable!!

some of the bigger nail guns i would not use compressed co2, it will give you a warning in the directions but my small guns not a problem!!

-craig
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:39 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Dude go sears!!! I have had a 5hp 220 50 gal tank for 20 years! Runs like the day I bought it! Best part it is portables & I added 30 ft of cord so if I don't like the sound I run it out side! Don't worry about the nail gun thing A compresser like said will run lots a air guns. Carpenters have small tanks for many reasons [you ain't running a construction crew] this will serve you well!! If you are worried buy an Ingersol with high cfm & a large tank. DONE!
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Great information fella's... Thanks a million.

I have to nail something down by Thursday because that's when I'm starting this little project.

Cool...

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
compressor