Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Air Compressor Ideas sought

I am looking for a tire pumping up solution.

I know all about the CO2 and air tank solutions that a lot of guys use. (Powertank and the like...)

I have also read about using an A/C compressor attached to the engine.

What I am curious is if anyone has found a decent portable 12V solution. I have seen lots of cheap junky and noisy little 12V compressors that can pump up a 14 inch passenger tire in just under 15 minutes. (not good enough)

Has anyone found a good 12V air compressor that can pump up four 235/85R16 tires from about 15psi back to highway pressure in about 5 to ten minutes? Is there a tankless solution or do all solutions require a tank to be mounted? I would love a portable solution and not a fixed on-bnoard air set up. I would also like something $100 or less.

Any ideas for me or am I just dreaming?
Sterling, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Bike pump will work(old school)
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

This is the best for the $$: http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5.../dp/B000BM8RT8

If you search around you can sometimes find it for $35 or so... it's not the best build quality, so it may die after a year or two, but it pumps out enough cfm's to get the tires filled up pretty fast..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Jeff - is this just an old AC compressor or one already configured to inflate tires?
Sterling, VA
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:55 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

good stuff:

http://www.viaircorp.com/
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave,
I run a HD ARB pump and 4 gallon auxiliary tank. Even without the spare tank, the ARB can take my 35's from 12psi to 35psi in less than 5 minutes each.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
I second the Viair units. I have one mounted in my truck but I believe Pedro has the portable unit. You didn't mention a price point but I think these units are well worth the money.

As for performance, before I got my tank mounted/plumbed, I aired up my 285/75's from 15 to 35 in 3-4 minutes each and over the course of an hour my pump aired up my tires, a set of 31's and a set of 37's! If memory serves my compressor is the 280C which only has a duty cycle of 30% but to date hasn't let me down.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a 3 gallon 150psi rated tank I took off a Rangie Classic that had eas with the intent to hook a 12v compressor to it and tuck it up beside the frame like they mount on the range rovers. Paid $60 for it you are welcome to it for that. Kind of neat has the rover part number and a made in Ireland sticker. Usally the only Rover- Ireland correlation made is the English riot police in Belfast in the 80's and 90's always in armored defenders. There was a thread on expo portal about 12v compressors and the one everyone seemed to say was the best choice was a $55-75 unit available @ Pep boys and SamsClub.com but not in most of the Sams stores. Can't find the link right now. What I had planned was a pair of those t'd together and then plumbed through a pressure switch that would turn them off @ 120psi, plumbed into the tank and then routed to an air chuck mounted on the rear of the truck.

I ended up going the co2 route with a $35 regulator http://www.ultimate-air.com/Budget-A...ator_p_77.html, (gone up a bit since), an $8 hose from Harbor Freight, and a $50 fire extenguisher holder/clamp barcket from Chief Fire supply.com. I used 1/4 20 riv nuts and bolts to attach the holder to the rear tub. I went to the the local welding supply place and for $16 I swap out my empty for one of their aluminum 20# bottles. Cheap fast and easy. I shared what I had done with Ron Peppard and he's running the same setup. I have used it more to run air tools than air up tires so far. My only complaint has been that I need a longer hose 25ft isn't enough with my school bus.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
there was a thread on expo portal about 12v compressors and the one everyone seemed to say was the best choice was %55-75 an available @ pep boys and SamsClub.com but not in most of the sams stores.
That's the one I linked up above.. Masterflow MV-1050 / MF-50 ... they are very similiar to output of the Viaiar's, just a lot cheaper... Costco sometimes sells them for cheap too.. I have one of them attached to a 2.5ga vaiair tank for OBA... works pretty well, but I may add another compressor to it.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Your right, my bad Ryan-thats it. Recall the complaint being lame wiring but I was planning to wire to a fuse block anyway.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

yeah, the wiring that comes with it is shit... i regularly blow the inline fuses... one day when I get more time I need to re-wire it.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old October 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
generally speaking, if you are blowing the fuses, it is because you are exceeding the duty cycle of the compressor and it is overheating. beef up the wiring and up the fuse rating to match, and you will seize the compressor or blow the vehicle side fuse (if there is one)

I also like the CO2. It is way faster than any of the portable compressors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller View Post
yeah, the wiring that comes with it is shit... i regularly blow the inline fuses... one day when I get more time I need to re-wire it.
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What is the benefit of a tank? Is it acceptable to run it without one? I'm not sure I have room for one on my 90. I'm thinking about a Viair without tank just for filling tires on the trail. Does that work? Has anyone installed a tank on a 90?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
Dave,
I run a HD ARB pump and 4 gallon auxiliary tank. Even without the spare tank, the ARB can take my 35's from 12psi to 35psi in less than 5 minutes each.
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:25 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Even with CO2 available a good pump and a tank resevoir is a nice backup.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
tweak
Darich Runyan
'04 Disco

I use one of these:

http://www.powertank.com

Very portable and very fast.
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:35 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I ended up getting a medium duty Viair setup with a tank. I'd be interested in seeing tank location installs on a D90 if anyone has done that previously.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Negative Earth
Jonathan Hanson
1974 88
D-90 Source Vendor

David,

I've reviewed a lot of compressors over the last couple of years. From your first post, the terms 'decent' and 'under $100' are difficult to reconcile. You really get what you pay for. I know guys with $35 Costco compressors who swear by them, but I know just as many who've had them fail within weeks. And those things are slooooooooww.

CO2 tanks are one way to go, but the problem with CO2 is, it's finite. Great for short trips, but at some point you will run out. A compressor gives you unlimited capacity.

The big units from Extreme Outback are the absolute tops for speed and durability, but they are expensive - and loud. As has been mentioned, the mid-range Viair models are very good. Also, the QuickAir X unit I've been testing for the last year has been excellent. It's not blindingly fast, but it's smooth and very quiet - you can stand on either side of it and carry on a conversation. It comes in both portable and hard-mount configurations. The only thing I didn't like about it was the little screw-on chuck, which I replaced with a heavier-duty press-on version.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I second the Viair units. I have one mounted in my truck but I believe Pedro has the portable unit. You didn't mention a price point but I think these units are well worth the money.

As for performance, before I got my tank mounted/plumbed, I aired up my 285/75's from 15 to 35 in 3-4 minutes each and over the course of an hour my pump aired up my tires, a set of 31's and a set of 37's! If memory serves my compressor is the 280C which only has a duty cycle of 30% but to date hasn't let me down.
I have both the ARB HD and the Viair 400P...

The Viair 400P is pretty decent, I wish I could say the same about the ARB.

Loic and I used it to air up our trucks without issues.

You can get them for under $200.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Where did you mount the tanks and gauge?
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
X2, the next best option compared to a tank.

edit- I should say I run a tank for several reasons, you cn carry it around if needed to run tools, put it in more than one truck, etc. For just one truck a fixed compressor may make more sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
compressor, ht