Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 20th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Air Compressor for home

OK - so I have tried to research the forum/s and cant seem to narrow it down. Some mates from here have given me their opinions too, which have entered into the equation.

What do you all run? Here are my "requirements"

• Quiet - under 75db (or close too it) - I dont like to piss off mumma at 1am when I am in the garage
  • 110v - I dont want to rewire the garage if I don't have to - but will for the right one
  • Under $1,000
  • @90 psi I want double digit CFM - for running sanders
  • better than 50/50 duty time would be nice
  • Compact as possible
So this one is leading the charge right now....thanks to Jeff for the recommendation.

FREE SHIPPING — Quincy Single-Stage Air Compressor — 2 HP, 115 Volt, 26-Gallon Vertical Tank, Model# Q12126VPQ | 21 Gallon Above Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment

What do you all recommend?
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I don't think >10 cfm is possible on 110V. 75 dB is also not possible with any recip, AFAIK. The best you can do is a two-stage. Best is to put in its own sound dampened room.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Here is my opinion.

If you are going to run a sander you are going to struggle staying within your requirements. The machine you linked only puts out 7.5 CFM @ 90 which will produce dismal results for a sander and will likely not produce the results you are looking for with many air tools (grinders, etc.)

For a quiet compressor you need to get away from an oil less machine, they are still loud, but not AS loud. A compact machine is not going to be as favorable here as some larger units (i.e. larger tank capacity). The smaller units are going to pretty much run the entire time you are using them therefor making constant noise.

Don't rule out a 230V machine, it will take you thirty minutes of electrical work to set yourself up with a 230V outlet (assuming you have a sub panel in your garage).

I just bought a 5HP, 230V, single stage machine with 16 delivered CFM @ 100PSI and am pretty happy. I bought a Rolair which is an American Company and the units are made to order. They have several that will fit within your price range and should give you the performance you are looking for. Call them and talk to them (yes a real person answers the phone and will give you solid advice).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2016, 09:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
OK - so I have tried to research the forum/s and cant seem to narrow it down. Some mates from here have given me their opinions too, which have entered into the equation.

What do you all run? Here are my "requirements"
Dude. You don't need a big-boy compressor. Buy a pancake compressor for airing up tires/etc, then get a decent electric impact gun (Snap On, Dewalt...you probably already have one actually), then just buy an electric 4-1/2" angle grinder with all the sanding attachments. Problem solved.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 20th, 2016, 09:59 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
I have a 5hp, 22 gal Home Depot special, that's still going strong after a decade. It's no good for sanders, runs loud, but it is portable and runs on 110. But it only cost me $250 and it came with some basic airtools.

Have you looked at any of the ingersoll rand units? I think they will require a 230, but may suit your needs better.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FVQ2gQod3iQDvA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:10 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Nobody has ever complained that their compressor was to big or had to much capacity. Go big or go home!!!
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:20 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Dude. You don't need a big-boy compressor. Buy a pancake compressor for airing up tires/etc, then get a decent electric impact gun (Snap On, Dewalt...you probably already have one actually), then just buy an electric 4-1/2" angle grinder with all the sanding attachments. Problem solved.
Dumb ass...you know I have my Snap on impact wrench. I just have a plethora of cool (Mac tools) air tools after my last compressor broke. So I like the air tools better. ------ Follow up post added June 20th, 2016 11:22 PM ------ Does anyone have experience with the California Air Tools compressors? They sound like a hair dryer when they are running!
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a DeVilbiss 240v 80 gal tank 14cfm @90 psi main compressor. Even that struggles with open hose jobs like media blasting.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 21st, 2016, 12:01 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

We really want a Kaeser SX5 rotary screw compressor - 21cfm at 120 psi....and 62db

But they aren't anywhere close to your price range...
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:36 AM
bandmmgee
Mitch
None

I've had this craftsman unit a couple of years and have been really happy with it. 110V, belt driven so pretty quiet and only $565. Run it all hours of the night and wife/neighbors have yet to complain.

Craftsman Professional 27 Gallon 1.9 RHP Oil-Lubricated Compressor
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
How about this?

Go big or go home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160621_095752.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	152297  

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:19 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmmgee View Post
I've had this craftsman unit a couple of years and have been really happy with it. 110V, belt driven so pretty quiet and only $565. Run it all hours of the night and wife/neighbors have yet to complain.

Craftsman Professional 27 Gallon 1.9 RHP Oil-Lubricated Compressor
I'm actually selling my 2hp craftsman. Loved it but moved to brushless electric.

Craftsman 2hp air compressor 25 gallon
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:37 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
There's a diesel powered one in Tidewater on gov liquidation

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:11 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
There's a diesel powered one in Tidewater on gov liquidation
thats sure to be quiet

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 21st, 2016, 12:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I had a big craftsman that died in short order. I believe in zen wrenching now so no compressor for me. The dewalt half in electric impact or a breaker bar and a pipe work for anything I need to get off and all the sanding is electric.
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:22 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I had a big craftsman that died in short order. I believe in zen wrenching now so no compressor for me. The dewalt half in electric impact or a breaker bar and a pipe work for anything I need to get off and all the sanding is electric.
So here is the rub Ron...I have a plethora of hardly used Mac Tools air equipment....barely, barely used - in fact, a few never used, because my Air Compressor went belly up.

I still dont have an idea of what to get....but do like the Rolair that Will mentioned.
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:16 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

If you already have air tools (especially A quality tool like MAC) then don't get a crap compressor, I have been there and done that and been very disappointed.

Just because it looks big, does not mean it will do anything other than fill tires and blow off dust.

I am not a Rolair fan boy, but have several friends with them and we're all happy. Don't pay much attention to MSRP as your local dealer will likey have it for a good bit less.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:01 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Just some notes:

1. CAT compressors are oilless and suffer the same problem as all oilless compressors: Much shorter lifetime especially when run hot. Don't take my word for it. Note that CAT actually makes a "long life" compressor. Makes you wonder how long the non-long-life compressors last. The 20040C is the only one that meets your specs for flow. Life might not be a big issue if you use your compressor occasionally.

2. Any oil / piston compressor will be the quietest option. You'll find oil / piston compressors that are 20 years old and still pumping like new. Oilless, no way.

3. If you plan on operating an air sander or other rotary air motor tool, forget about your compressor noise. The noise of any air powered tool is earsplitting and way, way beyond the noise of even the noisiest compressor. Hope you have earplugs

4. You're severely limiting yourself by sticking with 110V compressors. Add in double digit cfm compressors and you may end with nothing that fits your criteria

5. Hands down the easiest way to silence your compressor short of making a full enclosure is to run a remote inlet. A large percentage of the high frequency noise of an air compressor comes from the inlet. Put a large diameter hose nipple on the inlet of your compressor, and put on a hose that runs outside. Huge improvement, and something you can do on anything you end up buying.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:37 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Thanks Ed...appreciate your opinion - a lot. I am investigating how to get 230v - no patch panel int he garage, so a PITA to get it there from the main panel.
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:12 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Thanks Ed...appreciate your opinion - a lot. I am investigating how to get 230v - no patch panel int he garage, so a PITA to get it there from the main panel.
I'm dumb but I try to help How far is your clothes dryer from your garage door? Any chance you can run an extension cord out the door to the compressor whenever you need to use it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
compressor