1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:30 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Sounds great to me, depending on what they cover and deductibles, etc.

I think I pay $550 a year through hagerty for 1/3 of that value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:50 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Seeing that other thread on the accident reminded me I need to commit to a "agreed" policy for my D90. Seems the opinion is to go with American Collectors Insurance. I did a quote online and got around $650 annually for $40,000 agreed policy. That seem fair?
Personally I'm not convinced that agreed value is the way to go....Cameron had a positive experience with his regular carrier from this thread:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...r-62053-3.html
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 3rd, 2016, 08:51 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
State Farm just increased the my insurance because of the defender. And it's not a stated value policy. Doing dome shopping this week.
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:53 AM
phatteus
Matthew
97 D90 ST Beluga Black #2074

Registry
I had a galvanized chassis put into my 97 D90 at ECR recently. I worked with my Chubb broker to understand my options for increasing my coverage. I am happy to report that I was able to apply for and get the Collectors insurance policy from Chubb. There are no mileage limits, but like others posted in this thread, they wanted to know you had other cars that would be your primary driver(s). I did need a garage for the vehicle and needed to show a picture of it inside.
Old March 10th, 2017, 02:41 PM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I recently got a great deal on agreed value insurance on my NAS 94 from American Modern for less than 1/4th of what Haggerty quoted me. Not sure if it helped that I have 3 other vehicles with them, but they cannot be beat.
Old March 10th, 2017, 03:41 PM
DiscoDavis
C Davis
1990 110, 1995 Disco

Thanks for following up.

I am still shopping around but as several posts and several threads across the board note, a big sticking point for most if not all of the specialty providers is NO OFFROAD use. Even when I called around, getting more mileage allowed, allowed to drive outside of just to and from car shows, allowed to use for occasional work, groceries run etc, I always ran into the absolutely no off road thing.

My contingency plan right now is to stay insured with USAA as a 'normal' car but get it appraised by two separate entities and be prepared to fight, IE take the total value to arbitration. I had it appraised at an acceptable amount to make the purchase, and after a bit more work I will have it reappraised for my worst-case totalled-out scenario.
Old March 10th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDavis View Post
Thanks for following up.

I am still shopping around but as several posts and several threads across the board note, a big sticking point for most if not all of the specialty providers is NO OFFROAD use. Even when I called around, getting more mileage allowed, allowed to drive outside of just to and from car shows, allowed to use for occasional work, groceries run etc, I always ran into the absolutely no off road thing.

My contingency plan right now is to stay insured with USAA as a 'normal' car but get it appraised by two separate entities and be prepared to fight, IE take the total value to arbitration. I had it appraised at an acceptable amount to make the purchase, and after a bit more work I will have it reappraised for my worst-case totalled-out scenario.

I tired the same thing with a e30m3 about 9 years ago. It got hit and totaled while parked, I had standard insurance with USAA and two appraisals. Still lost and was upside down a ton of coin and my lawyers fees.

Never think you can beat an insurer at its own game. Just wont happen
Old April 12th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Josh Ashcroft
Joshua
1986 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDavis View Post
Thanks for following up.

I just bought a 110, looking for insurance. I have USAA, they directed me to American Collectors, I said it would be used on weekends for camping and they said sorry can't insure it for that at all, I didn't even say off-road, just camping. Going to have to look at other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 12th, 2017, 07:09 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I found that a standard GEICO policy with add ons was the way to go. Essentially it covers bolt on bits but you can fudge it with no appraisal. I think I got $15K for like $45/month

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2017 05:10 PM ------

Also I didn't have to deal with garage/show requirements like a lot of 'antique' rules
Old April 13th, 2017, 02:45 AM
Josh Ashcroft
Joshua
1986 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
I found that a standard GEICO policy with add ons was the way to go. Essentially it covers bolt on bits but you can fudge it with no appraisal. I think I got $15K for like $45/month

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2017 05:10 PM ------

Also I didn't have to deal with garage/show requirements like a lot of 'antique' rules
Thanks, I'll give them a call.
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:00 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
Just picked up Hagerty on my ROW 90, already had policy for a classic car. Started @ 20K value I had to send in some photos, they asked if I wanted to add any value so there is room. And you can up value as you improve its value/condition. Runs 247$ a year, that's with 0 deductibles. Obviously off-roading is a disqualifier, needs to be "garaged" at night, FYI. No mileage restriction and they have a decent tow/roadside option.
Old April 13th, 2017, 10:01 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ashcroft View Post
Thanks, I'll give them a call.
The trick for me was add ons like custom paint (vehicle resprayed) custom engine (300tdi) galvanized frame, wheels and tires, lighting upgrades, blah blah blah.

Adds up quick to a vehicle policy that's closer to actual cash value
Old April 13th, 2017, 10:43 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpin View Post
Just picked up Hagerty on my ROW 90, already had policy for a classic car. Started @ 20K value I had to send in some photos, they asked if I wanted to add any value so there is room. And you can up value as you improve its value/condition. Runs 247$ a year, that's with 0 deductibles. Obviously off-roading is a disqualifier, needs to be "garaged" at night, FYI. No mileage restriction and they have a decent tow/roadside option.

Another Tip, if the vehicle is determined "modified" rates will go up quickly. Best to determine highest value possible to cover a loss without talking your way into the 'modified" category.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance