please tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Great Basin Rover (GBR) or Rovertracks are the most popular do a little key word searching on them it should help you out.
Cheers
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Ford 9in is good. Dana 60 is better. A 9/60 or portals is the cats meow.

2.5 tons are pretty sweet too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I know that updating the whole axle is the preferred option, but would it be much of an issue to just put a different pattern into the wheel hubs. The front's have more than enough meat to them to put a second pattern, what about the rears? Couldn't the stock hubs be safely modified to for a different 5 bolt pattern? I mean, it's not the center hole that carries the weight, it's the wheel studs and nuts. A GOOD machinist should be able to do the work no problem.

Great Basin already makes upgraded axle shafts and drive flanges, I wonder if they might be able to do some HD wheel hubs that allow a different bolt pattern also. Make it a bolt-on upgrade. Though, for all I know they already offer it, but it just hasn't been put on the website since the past 2002 or so update.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I know that updating the whole axle is the preferred option, but would it be much of an issue to just put a different pattern into the wheel hubs. The front's have more than enough meat to them to put a second pattern, what about the rears? Couldn't the stock hubs be safely modified to for a different 5 bolt pattern? I mean, it's not the center hole that carries the weight, it's the wheel studs and nuts. A GOOD machinist should be able to do the work no problem.

Great Basin already makes upgraded axle shafts and drive flanges, I wonder if they might be able to do some HD wheel hubs that allow a different bolt pattern also. Make it a bolt-on upgrade. Though, for all I know they already offer it, but it just hasn't been put on the website since the past 2002 or so update.

-Hans
Why would you want to do that? Its the axles you want to get rid of, not the bolt pattern. Or am I missing something?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I think I may have mixed up my replies into the wrong post. I could have sworn I was replying to a post about wheel options.... my bad. In fact, let me repost myself into the correct thread and quietly go on my way here.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:30 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Ford 9in is good. Dana 60 is better. A 9/60 or portals is the cats meow.

2.5 tons are pretty sweet too.
portals, the holy grail... just don't seem to be many choices though... I like the ford 9's dirt cheap tons of aftermarket support, a pair of rock 60's make me have sweet dreams though... of course being stuck here in MD means i'd never make use of 1/10 their capability...
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
www.rovertracks.com
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

There is a pair of mog axles for sale at www.coldwarremarketing.com ...in the parts section. They have a new front and a used rear...nice, if you have the fab skills.
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
There is a pair of mog axles for sale at www.coldwarremarketing.com ...in the parts section. They have a new front and a used rear...nice, if you have the fab skills.
and cash flow, 2k for a new rear isn't too bad.
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

$750 seems like a great deal on the rear.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:09 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
$750 seems like a great deal on the rear.
i only saw one listed, it said new... then again i didn't look too hard... I'm forwarding the link to my brother, he just picked up another fj40 for 150 bucks, so he's looking into what he wants to do...
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Volvo portals are much easier to fit to a rover.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Volvo portals are much easier to fit to a rover.
Very true. But mogs are about twice as strong. I think they weigh more too though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I've found Volvo portals hard to get ahold of. Do you have a lead on some Ron? Cold War Remarketing is about 20 minutes from my front door. I'm tempted to go look hard at those mog portals. I haven't had any time to do any research on the mog application to the D-90. The Volvo's are hardly a drop in replacement, what with having to redrill tube-ends. Would it be that much harder to do the mog's?

I've had a D-90 spread on the garage floor for over a year now, waiting for a local guy to round up some Volvo's without any luck. These local mog's might just be enough to get me off my ass and get something done.
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
I've found Volvo portals hard to get ahold of. Do you have a lead on some Ron? Cold War Remarketing is about 20 minutes from my front door. I'm tempted to go look hard at those mog portals. I haven't had any time to do any research on the mog application to the D-90. The Volvo's are hardly a drop in replacement, what with having to redrill tube-ends. Would it be that much harder to do the mog's?

I've had a D-90 spread on the garage floor for over a year now, waiting for a local guy to round up some Volvo's without any luck. These local mog's might just be enough to get me off my ass and get something done.
The mogs are better, but thet are very difficult to install. You need to re do the tube to make it a passenger side drop and to shorten it considerably. You will also need to stretch your wheelbase a lot as the pinions are extremely long. After that, you are almost forced to run coilovers as you will find there is no room to put springs in there inside the knuckles. From there you have to do the steering of course. There is just a lot too it. I believe the Volvo's are much easier, but weaker. Which won't really matter unless your pounding on them big time. It's a tough conversion, and a heavy one. If I were to ever do this, I would give serious thought to portal-tech. There expensive, but allow you to basically drop the axles in. Good luck!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
axle

« Matt W | H/b »