Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 11th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian
D110 Series 3 & Santana 2500

Registry
After the 90.......

I have had this ex Military 110 for a while now whilst other things have been going on. It's not pretty at the moment due to so many different coats of Military paint and many years exposure to the hot Spanish sun but it makes up for this by being completely solid. The plan originally was to spray it all Black and put some steels or Alloys on it with a complete Exmoor interior, Masi style bonded side windows and make it altogether more civilised. However since then I have decided that there are quite a few Military enthusiasts out there and maybe I shouldn't so much that it cannot be put back original. So my plan is a new coat of green. Brownchurch style rack on top which I have from another car. Full Exmoor interior, Wolf Wheels and NAS lights and an Expedition/camper look. What are peoples thoughts on a car like this? Standard Military with expedition gear or my original idea, if Darth Vadar owned a Defender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	115800   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	115801  

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	115802   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	115803  

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	115804   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	115805  

Search Gas Donkey Land Rover on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2015, 07:17 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
http://www.hark.com/clips/thpxbpfzzq
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Eh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2015, 08:44 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

If you are looking to sell it to someone in the US I would stay away from adding anything to it that is not original. Clean it up a bit and put the correct lights back on and make a few bucks off it and call it a day.

If you add the side windows, nas lights and tart it up people are going to be worried about getting it shipped over (rightfully so) and it will sit.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
If you are looking to sell it to someone in the US I would stay away from adding anything to it that is not original. Clean it up a bit and put the correct lights back on and make a few bucks off it and call it a day.

If you add the side windows, nas lights and tart it up people are going to be worried about getting it shipped over (rightfully so) and it will sit.
A friend who sells Landy's in the states says the opposite to that. Put stuff on as it is more expensive in the states for things like racks etc. This will make it more attractive. Hence doing that to the white 90. Interesting the different points of view Seller versus buyers.

Old March 11th, 2015, 09:01 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Who is your friend? personally i wouldn't purchase a vehicle overseas that wasn't bone stock..
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:01 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas_Donkey View Post
A friend who sells Landy's in the states says the opposite to that. Put stuff on as it is more expensive in the states for things like racks etc. This will make it more attractive. Hence doing that to the white 90. Interesting the different points of view Seller versus buyers.
Click eBay then click sold. Your friend have a shop in Florida?
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:05 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

In this current environment post CBP crackdown where they are questioning everything (new bolts on hinges) I would keep it as stock as possible.

While everything you would do to it might be legit and on the up and up anything that looks fancy and new will catch the CBP's eyes and might result in extra care and attention.

When I imported my 90 many years I purchased new seats a new soft top and a bunch of other little bits prior to importing my 90 as it cost less but now days if I were bringing one in I would bring it in as in ratty tatty and original as possible looking just for peace of mind if nothing else.

Your truck and you can do as you please I am just speaking as someone that has imported a personal 90 and looking to do so in the future and sharing my opinion... but that is not what you really wanted now was it?
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:11 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Great idea. Change the rear drums to disks while you are at it. We need the additional stopping power when that rack is loaded up.
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Team up with your friend. Fix them up in Spain, import & title, then have friend sell State side. As you can see, everyone on this forum would be apprehensive buying a less than 100% original Rover that has not been imported & documented.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
Click eBay then click sold. Your friend have a shop in Florida?
Jacsksonville.

Old March 11th, 2015, 10:50 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
british 4x4?…send the trucks over bare…have him put the parts on when they get here.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post

Your truck and you can do as you please I am just speaking as someone that has imported a personal 90 and looking to do so in the future and sharing my opinion... but that is not what you really wanted now was it?
Not the case at all hence asking. I think I was already heading towards the rejuvenated Military/Wolf look for it. This post has just answered it.

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2015 08:53 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
british 4x4?…send the trucks over bare…have him put the parts on when they get here.
Ah but then the customs will want their cut on all the parts.

Old March 11th, 2015, 10:57 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
much better than the alternative…it sits in customs while you pay storage which would eat any profit you would of made in parts or..

or…

Old March 11th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
much better than the alternative…it sits in customs while you pay storage which would eat any profit you would of made in parts or..

or…

Yep seen all that fracas last year.
Well the last car that went to Jacksonville was there and registered inside 4 weeks. So it depends who you know.

Old March 11th, 2015, 12:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Between his two recent threads I would say quit giving him advice that he doesn't want to listen to and let him learn the hard way. Donkeys are stubborn animals and the gas donkey is no different.
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Between his two recent threads I would say quit giving him advice that he doesn't want to listen to and let him learn the hard way. Donkeys are stubborn animals and the gas donkey is no different.
I have taken the advice completely and thanked those that imparted useful advice so I fail to see what you are getting at.
Donkeys can be stubborn at times but they work hard and get there in the end just like a Land Rover.
Plus I did say that I was going to leave the 110 military spec after listening to opinions on here.

Old March 11th, 2015, 12:36 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Best of luck to you and I hope we don't read about you or your vehicles in the newspaper.
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Gas_Donkey
Julian

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Best of luck to you and I hope we don't read about you or your vehicles in the newspaper.
Thanks, I think . In order for that to happen I would have to be doing something wrong. Which as my previous customers in possession of registered cars in various parts of the USA and my US agent can vouch for, that is certainly not the case. I am not an unscrupulous seller jumping on the bandwagon. I am first and foremost an enthusiast of Land Rover's who decided to turn his hobby into a small business (isn't that how most things start?) by finding all the excellent 100% original cars out here that the climate affords me. Does that make me a bad person?

Possible cast aspersions aside let me tell you a story of what is currently happening with a car that I have been asked to build for a Ranch in Texas and then you decide if you'll be seeing me in the papers?

I am currently building a Convertible that will be for hunting. What should have been a simple job has turned into a nightmare for me. The "original" car was finished and ready to go in November. However at the final hour it was discovered that for whatever reason in 1990 this car had had a chassis change by the factory. Accident maybe we just don't know. A very rare case as Chassis do not need to be changed here. Anyway this had escaped my attention. I could have thrown caution to the wind and sent it off. Anyway cue much panicking as I knew this car could not go like this. I rang the customer, explained the situation etc. told him I would find another car. That weekend I spoke to a seller, my normal questions were asked, photos were sent assurances given that this car was indeed all as good as he was saying it was.
A week later the car arrived! Far from good. still trying to get half my money back on this one after coming to an arrangement to refund half the money as I could break it and use it for parts which I am doing at the moment. The 3rd car arrived 2 weeks later. 3rd time lucky? Hopefully, I knew this had a gearbox problem but now had parts to sort this. The important bit was the car was in excellent condition for one of these and is original. Cue new shocks all around, new clutch as it was apart, many new parts too numerous to go into, full service etc. It has transpired that now the diff has gone which caused the broken box. More parts, More hours. Meanwhile this has gone way past the $9500 I was paid to build the car. That figure is a distant memory. But hey you chalk it up and move on. The important thing is that he is happy and is assured that he is eventually going to get the car he asked for. I'm happy but less well off but I can sleep at night knowing I am doing nothing wrong. He gets photo updates of his build and emails as is my policy.
Now decide, am I an unscrupulous seller?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags